Availability of pro-series Gretsch guitars

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Carrying expensive stock is always a dilemma for any retail store.
If they have one in stock should they hang it on the wall? Some buyers don't want the "open box" without a discount.
And who can afford thousands of dollars tied up that may not sell for a year or more?

I have no practical experience but I could see stocking one of the most popular models as an example of the build quality and sound. Then keep a good relationship with the distributor so you can get them quickly.

Mr Swisher

Country Gent
Jun 12, 2012
England
If they have one in stock should they hang it on the wall? Some buyers don't want the "open box" without a discount.
It's interesting that in the UK, in most shops, everything hangs. It's all open box, at full price.

I find it really annoying. I'd rather not pay full retail on something that's been hung, and played by all sorts, but that's just how it is here.

Last edited:

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I checked the Anderton's website and expected them to have some in stock. They seem to love Gretsch and feature them in a lot of videos.
Maybe there is a problem getting them. I'd call Lee and ask him.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
It's interesting that in the UK, in most shops, everything hangs. It's all open box, at full price.

I find it really annoying. I'd rather olnot pay full retail on something that's been hung, and played by all sorts, but that's just how it is here.
Yeah, I don't want to buy off the wall. All within reach have scratches or more, but GC is quick to offer 10% off.
But it still ticks me off that they throw away the box and all in it.

But I have bought two from GC that were the last in the company when on sale...and they were both perfect. Plastic still on, both had light dust, no fingerprints and were probably hanging up where it took a ladder to get them down so they were untouched.

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
I don't ever think I've seen a brick and mortar store besides Chicago Music Exchange that carried any appreciable amount of prolines tbh. And CME can go kick rocks, for that matter, absolutely awful to deal with in real life.

Uncle Daddy

Friend of Fred
Jan 19, 2012
Maldon UK
There are currently 8 in the whole of the UK for sale on EBay which doesn’t seem very many to me at all. I am looking for a Setzer Hotrod but the ones on there are way over priced.

Sensible money this-

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Sensible money this-
Yeah I saw that but wasn't sure it had the right pick ups in it for what I am after but certainly a sensible price I wouldn't be against a chat and a drive to take a look at it. The others I have turned up are around the £2K mark which is too rich for me.

THISISDINOSAUR

Electromatic
Oct 21, 2019
London
Sensible money this-
I’ve been eyeing this one for a while, it stood out as good value compared to other listings, shame there’s so few like that

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
I’ve been eyeing this one for a while, it stood out as good value compared to other listings, shame there’s so few like that
On the face of it yes but why does it have Filtertron pick ups ? Maybe the earliest manifestation of a Hot Rod but I want Brian Setzer “Signature” TV Jones pickups and the lack of them is a deal breaker for me. Also probably why this is a mere £1400 and has been around for quite a while. Not for me.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
My local does but they have a surprising number of high end stuff (Martin, Collings) for a small (although probably relatively high income) town. I don't think they have much online presence either.

McIrish

Electromatic
Jan 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I couldn't find any Prolines locally. They carry a lot of the Electromatics but not a single Proline. I ended up taking a chance and buying online. It worked out for me and I love my 6118T-PE. Much better than I thought it would be. On the other hand, I have a 5220 as well as a 6128T-59. That 5220 is actually a really nice guitar. They could make it perfect if they offered it with a standard U neck shape (instead of the thin U) and had the option for thumbnail inlays. I'm not a hump fan. oooh, that sounded bad... I replaced all the pots on the 5220, which made it much better and smoother for volume fades. I'm OK with the Blacktop BT pickups but they don't compare to the TV Jones Classics in the 6128.
Overall, Gretsch is making some great guitars in their China, Korean and Indonesian factories, but the Prolines are quite a step up. No need to replace anything. I feel like all the Electromatics I've played or had, could use some parts swaps. Swapping out all the electronics does improve them vastly but unfortunately doesn't really help with resale, if you decide to upgrade later. The Prolines hold their value better.

BohemianLikeMe

Synchromatic
Apr 18, 2020
Prague, CZ
I couldn't find any Prolines locally. They carry a lot of the Electromatics but not a single Proline. I ended up taking a chance and buying online. It worked out for me and I love my 6118T-PE. Much better than I thought it would be. On the other hand, I have a 5220 as well as a 6128T-59. That 5220 is actually a really nice guitar. They could make it perfect if they offered it with a standard U neck shape (instead of the thin U) and had the option for thumbnail inlays. I'm not a hump fan. oooh, that sounded bad... I replaced all the pots on the 5220, which made it much better and smoother for volume fades. I'm OK with the Blacktop BT pickups but they don't compare to the TV Jones Classics in the 6128.
Overall, Gretsch is making some great guitars in their China, Korean and Indonesian factories, but the Prolines are quite a step up. No need to replace anything. I feel like all the Electromatics I've played or had, could use some parts swaps. Swapping out all the electronics does improve them vastly but unfortunately doesn't really help with resale, if you decide to upgrade later. The Prolines hold their value better.
Huh, I would have bet Rock n' Roll Vintage would have carried them, and I would have put actual good money on CME having them in stock. But it's been almost 10 years since I left Chicago, miss it.

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I can go to at least four shops within a 40 mile radius which all stock at least 3 or more new Pro line models at any given time. And that doesn't include another 4-5 different shops that almost always have at least a few vintage/used Pro line models on the walls.

But then again, I'm in the Nashville, TN area, so that likely has something to do with it. ;)

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans

Chris MC

Gretschie
Oct 27, 2014
Orange, Aus
Lockdown, no gigs, no professional musicians, no pro lines?

Pro line sales slow, less stock available.

High Street retail dying off, no holding expensive stock for 12+ months.

Recession, and living costs up by 10% and wages by 1-2%.

However I think there will always be demand for trickle of 6120’s and the other major types even in the worst of times.

Latest posts