Attacking another room

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    looking good, love wooden floors.

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I decided to do those floors on Saturday, and I didn’t get a floor sander over the weekend so I sanded the whole floor with a 3x21 belt sander two days to do the big areas two more hand sanding the edges. Two mor applying finish coats and trying to recuperate. And Now I know why plasters charge so much. Putting that stuff up is a lot of work! So far two days to tear out and replace that bath floor and two more to get it where it is in the picture. Working the rest of the week so this weekend hopefully I’ll get the marble up. In the past I had the habit of buying clearances building materials I like for future use. My wife thought I was nuts, until I started these projects. The wood for the floors was 79cents a square foot years ago. Yes I had a pallet left in the basement. The marble was like a 1.39$ also years ago. I am now glad I kept my eyes open for deals in the past!

TSims1 likes this.
  3. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Only on a Gretsch forum would people not freak out over getting rid of LP's. But we're not all Gibson devotees here, and we remember vinyl. ;)

Bertotti, looks great. :cool: Plaster - over there, you tend to fully plaster over the 'sheet rock', correct? We don't do that on this side of the globe. We plaster the joints, then sand that back flush with the face of the rest of the 'gyprock' or 'plasterboard' (same thing). If doing it that way, I find plastering to be work, but not terrible. But I can't imagine 'mudding' the whole face of the sheet - so much more work, so much more sanding, so much more material. :eek:

I'm overdue to do the main bathroom. I've had the tiles sitting in a small shed (10' x 10') in the backyard for a few years now, hoping I can get to it over the Christmas break. Bought the tiles when Masters closed down (it was an ill-fated venture, dragging Masters down here. The existing hardware shops were too entrenched); saved a fortune.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Generally, it is done by taping the joints then spraying a light orange peel finish over it or heavier if you want. Most people do not plaster anymore, it really isn't very common. I grew up in a house with plaster over two layers of sheetrock the plaster was meticulously scalloped. That would cost so much to do now no one really wants to pay for it. It would have been a lot easier if I had more room I had to use a small tapping knife my float or whatever it is called now was too big to do the room with my skill level and keep consistent look between the walls and ceiling. Thanks! Oh and I thought the LP was in reference to the record albums something I wouldn't throw out but I know many who have.

Tadhg likes this.
  5. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I'm sure the reference was Long Play Vinyl, but given I see more references to LP as Les Paul these days, I thought I'd have a laugh with Wabash Slim. ;)

We tape the plaster joints, too. But no orange peel. Slap it on like a render/stucco, trowel it smooth, come back and sand back.
    I asked about how you did it because we still see so many US reno shows (and the odd UK one) where they still do the full mud thing. You're right, crazy expensive.

Bertotti likes this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love Reno shows! And there was a landscape garden show from the UK I used to like. I can not rememebr the guys name. Also liked the Holmes homes show. I used to be surprised at shortcuts contractors would take until I had my home built. I have spent years fixing their shortcuts. I have grow to hate getting contractors and do it all myself.

7. pilgrim

pilgrim Country Gent

Jun 15, 2010
    Mississippi
    NOW I"M GOIN TO HAVE NIGHTMARES !

8. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    My daughters (11 and 8) come home from school and watch recorded reno shows with me or their mother - whoever has access to them. They prefer the HGTV style shows, where you get a major outcome in 30 minutes to an hour, not necessarily too much trade work, and lots of people saying "Demo Day!" They're less keen on scratch builds like Grand Designs.

There's a new season of 'The Block' coming soon - it's an Australian reno show where four or five (five this season) couples (not necessarily married - just two people, genders/ages/relationships unimportant) renovate a unit/house each, one or more rooms per week for 10 weeks. When I say 'renovate', it's generally something that's basically uninhabitable, until this year it's grown in physical size each year (usually 10 weeks, usually 4 bedrooms, 2-3 living areas, 2-4 bathrooms, kitchen (often with butler's pantries), outdoor areas... It's huge. It'll be interesting to see if they get hooked - they've not watched before.
    The first host of The Block started on TV in gardening shows, did The Block, then moved to the US to do gardening shows for Oprah (Jamie Durie - actually started his 'showbiz' career as a stripper!).
    And, if you want to talk about shortcuts, a reno show with a week to build a master bedroom and ensuite, from floor to ceiling (i.e. hang wall sheets, lay structural flooring, do the ceiling, plumbing from scratch, waterproofing, plastering, painting, tiling...), that's a place to see shortcuts! Yet the properties generally sell in the $2-4 Million range.

I work in construction, in a desk job (steelwork). Today I've had to deal with bolts not cast into one slab (structurally required) and another slab poured where rafters needed to go (they poured it too early, before rafters were installed). Kevin McLeod (Grand Designs) always says, "Every project needs a saviour, someone who'll go above and beyond to see things done properly..." He's right.

I've not done that many renos myself, but I've found I enjoy them (converted a rumpus to a master suite, new laundry, car shed with internal office, a deck, and paving). A change is as good as a holiday, right? When you're in an office all day, a week on the tools is fun. And in all that, I only shot my mate with a nail gun once, and myself once. No major injuries. :D

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    You all are probably sick of this thread but I am going to show some more progress now. Tile is hung dried and will get grouted today in the bath room along with some plaster touch ups. Then when player dries sands back a bit and painted. Also got the kitchen floor on my moms side of the house removed. The tile was all cracked and the grout worked itself out years ago so not it will get eastern white pine installed today. Finished up papering the floor yesterday. My son carried all of the hardy backer I pulled up out And I think he went to sleep around 1800. He has never worked so hard. I am beat just completely worn the heck out. But next weekend I will lounge all weekend, maybe. 01CC6509-37FB-4D65-B5AB-BA884FB22BEB.jpeg 3B1CCE7F-B1BF-438C-8D87-7D1C7E685271.jpeg 01385F05-EB73-44B1-A65E-E5B966E791F1.jpeg

new6659 and Tadhg like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hey all take a look at the tiled bath and tell me what color or colors you think would look good around it. I need to paint those walls. I have mint green, yellow, red and I won't use the red because the tile is actually a rose color and the red makes it look grey, some terra cotta, white, black on hand. I am thinking of sponging the mint and terra cotta to give it a weathered aged look or getting a darker green with only a few touches here and there of the terra cotta, it is an orangeish salmon color That might sit well very lightly within the other colors. Just thinking of something to darken up the mint. I might need to break out my color mixing book. Thanks!

11. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Very nice! Love the wood!

Bertotti likes this.
  12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    My wife loves HGTV reno shows. Mostly the twins= brothers, and Chip & Joanna. Check out the Canadian guy Homes on DIY if you can.
    Then there's the grand old man of reno shows, "This Old House", and Bob Villa has his own show as well.
    I prefer the car shows---Top Gear, Wheeler Dealers, and Full Custom Garage (Ian is a madman!). YMMV.
    You've got three colors to choose from?
    SUNBURST!!!

Bertotti likes this.
  13. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I can't get all those home reno shows anymore. I won't pay DirecTV anymore for the extra channels. Once I get caught up on forged in fire episodes I may download some reno shows. Little progress today but some. Finished some painting and got some wood in. I just need a break I’m beat.

I like the sunburst idea.

AE4AAC0F-496E-4E3F-BC49-F41B5D43CB40.jpeg

wabash slim likes this.
  14. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    The girls love Flip or Flop, Good Bones, and Five Day Flip. It's all on Free To Air down here.
    This Old House didn't really make it down here... That's where our local shows fill the gaps (there's a heap of them).
    Been a TG fan since 97. Old Top Gear. I agree - Ian Roussel's a madman. Gotta love artistry, in all its forms. So I'm looking forward to 'The Great Guitar Build Off' on YouTube (Ben from Crimson is similarly insane, in the best way, even if his tastes don't always align with my own).

But a sunburst room....... Yeah, nah. Not for me.

Everyone needs some form of break, Bertotti - looking good.

Bertotti and wabash slim like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I did scenic painting for years, and painted commercially before I got hired onto the theater staff. I learned to do all sorts of faux art finishes, like marbling or sponge painting or such. A tri color paint job with sea sponge can look great. Using a large stiff feather, one can make a wall look like a marble slab. The ones that really impressed me were the finishes that looked like burl or wood grain done with three different shades of brown and tan.

Bertotti likes this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I took quit early yesterday, about 5. I didn’t start today until some company work was done and will go until it’s all sanded today. Then paper over until I am back from work this week. Probably grout this weekend as well. At least the painting and grout are easier jobs. The tile irritates me a bit it is my first time tiling a wall. I see all the mistakes and things I would like to redo.

17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Of course you see the mistakes. Doesn't mean anyone else will. You are your own harshest judge.

Bertotti likes this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    1BA018B2-27E5-410C-92C2-38E7FAC9A9BD.jpeg 690887D5-6199-4C3E-8CCE-57423E8415D5.jpeg Well it’s in. Once work this week is done I will sand and finish it. But so far I like it. I put it in upside down to eliminate the deep 45degree vee edges and perpendicular to the current floor. I’m tempted to make pulling all the main level floors and turning them over to eliminate the vee. I like it but Im also the only one who will take the time to clean it. Also got behind the fridge and range painted!

19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Tiles grouped painted! Paint is dry now. I used three different greens. D0002320-251D-4822-AAED-174339A2BE99.jpeg

KuKuKu likes this.
  20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sealing a wood floor I installed and finished sanding. Second coat on third in another hour and she'll be done then I can work on trim and stairs. I started the second coat in front of the cabinets and finished by the door. It is drying quickly it won't be that glossy when dry. It is a satin finish.

IMG_2120.jpg IMG_2119.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.