At home amps

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I’ve been reading amp threads lately. Tube amps. Amps that won’t wake the neighbors. Folks showing off Fender and Vox. I’m interested in what we’re using at home. Tube? Modeling? Historic? Cheap or expensive. I don’t want a judgmental thread. I want to know what you’re using and why.

Mine is a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 10” combo. I use it mostly to accompany myself on vocals at a volume I can sing over without a mic. I also use it for jazz. I’ve been using the 5 watt setting exclusively and the clean channel almost exclusively. It’s like the underpowered amps of my youth. I don’t need pedals for crunch, or even dirt. The amp cleans up nicely by lightening my finger style. I’m not big on effects. I have a BOSS EQ-200 equalizer and a Fender Mirror Image Delay on top that I use in place of reverb. The picture below shows my #1 Strat, a CS ‘69. My other #1 is a 6118T Anniversary. What do you use at home?
B0843CE9-E2D0-4770-92DE-EB5D6C0717A5.jpeg

Baba Joe

Gretschie
Feb 17, 2010
new jersey
Fender Super Champ XD with a 12 inch speaker in a custom cabinet. Why? Because it suits my needs and I fell in love with it. I don’t play out and this gives me versatility although the clean channel is most frequently used. I’m under no delusions about it and have considered a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb partially for the attenuator but am really quite happy with it. I’ve also wondered about a Princeton Reverb but just don’t think it is necessary for my situation. E93573CF-40AC-4E92-95F5-8CEB376DB3F1.jpeg 51782434-764A-4851-B2BE-CF7CF7C0F8D3.jpeg

BCRatRod73

Synchromatic
Sep 1, 2020
Mississippi
Modded Bugera V5 w/10” Ragin Cajun speaker, added choke, and upgraded OT. Boss Katana 100 MKII, Bugera V22, Laney GH30R-112, Peavey Delta Blues 115, and Peavey Classic 50 212. Finally, I use my Line 6 Pod Go Wireless into the Katana Power Amp In. Currently considering adding the L6 Power Cab 112 plus for the PGW amp models.
I don’t play very loud as I’m a considerate neighbor. I mostly play the Katana these days as it’s convenient with all the effects on board.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I decided to learn to play (and bought my first guitar) only about 2.5 years ago. Had no real knowledge of amps (or guitars), just decided I wanted an amp with the Fender script on it. Narrowing it down to one brand really made it easy to pick one.

Fender Mustang LT-25 modeler, great choice for someone new to amps and playing. 25 watts, 8" speaker, USB connector and headphone jack, aux input.
100 presets already programmed, slots to save your own. 20 amps and 26 pedals to choose from and everything is adjustable.
Easy to use and program with Fender Tone PC software.
Price recently went back down to $150.

I really lucked out when I picked this amp. I've learned so much just by playing with it and trying all the options. Learned tons about effects without buying a single pedal.

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
Fender Super Champ XD with a 12 inch speaker in a custom cabinet. Why? Because it suits my needs and I fell in love with it. I don’t play out and this gives me versatility although the clean channel is most frequently used. I’m under no delusions about it and have considered a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb partially for the attenuator but am really quite happy with it. I’ve also wondered about a Princeton Reverb but just don’t think it is necessary for my situation. View attachment 182954 View attachment 182955
I have a SCXD that o bought after coming back to playing after a loooong hiatus. It hasn’t seen much use since I got the Boogie. I like what you did with yours. What you have would work as a gigging amp in a small venue. Cool, classy looking and versatile.

Last edited:

GAMBLER1234

Gretschie
Jan 18, 2018
Henderson Nevada
Another Mesa user here. Yes it's a fairly large amp but the multiple wattage options make it good for home as well as big rooms.

Express 550
AM-JKLUMHP-VckIBE-0Wgp1eH4D4w8HEAGXnAOJhr9z51FdnJHU_KNL_7izdsmv9nqBe1vZ4OVOrK2UXS2LrHFHUFKxl2KiOTJhujeZMYN3gskRUblhdLBvo8TLBLdDFopJ1DAenFTAkf6IYkxZlS6YHUWGk=w726-h951-no

GAMBLER1234

Gretschie
Jan 18, 2018
Henderson Nevada
Fender Super Champ XD with a 12 inch speaker in a custom cabinet. Why? Because it suits my needs and I fell in love with it. I don’t play out and this gives me versatility although the clean channel is most frequently used. I’m under no delusions about it and have considered a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb partially for the attenuator but am really quite happy with it. I’ve also wondered about a Princeton Reverb but just don’t think it is necessary for my situation. View attachment 182954 View attachment 182955

Plus 1
AM-JKLVoDEgwoqHszB33BY9lzzgxfHYM1D_Lhv1YjgKq95MOm88cx1QiCnbHkWl47dRBa-eoL1qKkSceyhS_NbnoZuIIjAdLpXxeXG15ge2YfFm8T5BFnaECxFNgHUfOPoWQMqV2rE5nC-LZ7UFlvPQBb5fI=w350-h640-no

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
I’ve been reading amp threads lately. Tube amps. Amps that won’t wake the neighbors. Folks showing off Fender and Vox. I’m interested in what we’re using at home. Tube? Modeling? Historic? Cheap or expensive. I don’t want a judgmental thread. I want to know what you’re using and why.

What : mainly my small 5-watters...

8u5DJb-P1050169.jpg

CIE5Kb-5-Watters-Gallery-22-10-2020.jpg

Why : because they are easier to grab ! :rolleyes:

But it's me, OK ? 😁

A+!

Last edited:

Pops

Gretschie
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
I recently got a great deal on a Peavey ValveKing 212 (100W). I play it at home because it's too heavy to move! My other amp is a 10-watt Acoustic, which is plenty loud (or quiet) in my man cave. It just doesn't have that tube warmth. I'll probably add a 5-watt tube amp.

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit

The amp I play the most, because it's handy and fast (no fiddling with knobs) is a Line 6 Spider IV 15watt unit that I turned off the 'secret controls' and reprogrammed the presets. I can tune the guitar and play for the ten minutes I might get a day to play. I used to hate these amps until I found the secret controls (they have an over-aggressive noise reduction system to counteract the metal/moar-metal/extreme-metal/insane-metal presets they ship with).

Otherwise, I only play Solid State amps. Peavey Bandits, Crate 65, a Kustom head I got cheap, and a few others. I repair enough amps for others so I was never interested in the expense, maintenance, and fragility of tube amps nor the weight. I just set my amps clean, treating them like PA systems, and feed them pedals for all the tones.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
I deeply regret selling my Gallien Kruger ML250. (Used to own the rack-mount-version,too)
This little amp was a jack-of-all-trades.
Very unique tone although it was solid-state. Ultra-sturdy metal housing. Road-ready.

I used it as my amp for practicing at home quietly, as a backup for live-use, as a very portable jam-session amp and as the secret weapon in the studio in case I could not get a decent solo-tone out of my tube amps.
Saved my a** a lot of times.

If I could find a good one at a decent price I would buy it again without thinking.

Today I am practising with a Positive Grid Spark which has lots and lots of options that I did not even explore, yet.
This one is not aimed at the live-music-market but more at the home-recordng and practising area.
That said you can record with this thing very comfortably and there are incredible ammounts of high-end pre-produced tones in there.
What makes it a bit unattractive to me is that the tones do not FEEL authentic in your hands (no one will notice except the guitarist) and when you are playing with a lot of dynamics -like me- it would not clear up as nicely as you are used to. You will miss a real amp very soon.