Aspiring luthier...me

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
Not really. And some of you probably get a chuckle from this.

But keep in mind before joining here, the most complicated things I had done was change strings and set up intonation. 😀

I watched some time ago Philip Mckinght fixing fret sprout and thought that doesn't look too bad. And fret sprout is really killing any joy of playing. So I got the right tools. Already fixed my Corvette, the Squier Jaguar I just got had bit of that and I just fixed it in 30 minutes. My Vox guitar needs it and will be done tomorrow.

As funny as it may be, I'm kinda proud of my progress 😁.

20221208_223332.jpg

Last edited:

GVDobler

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
May 15, 2011
Las Vegas
Keep after it. I like to work with my hands so I know the satisfaction of completing a task.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada

But keep in mind before joining here, the most complicated things I had done was change strings and set up intonation. 😀

I watched some time ago Philip Mckinght fixing fret sprout and thought that doesn't look too bad. And fret sprout is really killing any joy of playing. So I got the right tools. Already fixed my Corvette, the Squier Jaguar I just got had bit of that and I just fixed it in 30 minutes. My Vox guitar needs it and will be done tomorrow.

View attachment 196350
Hey juks,

Good for you.

Unlike when I started ''tinkering'' 30 years ago, I used my certified carpenter skills, and carpenter tools.

Now, from companies like StewMac, there are many specialty tools available for the budding luthier, and lots of on-line tutorials to keep you on track.

Plan your work, and work your plan!

Good Luck!!

BIB.

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
( although in New York ) My buddy runs a Luthier class . 2 days at 8 hrs each day . Students rave about it on Facebook . Perhaps theres something like this in your area ..... never to old to hone in on your skills . Best to you Juks and keep after it 👍

Pops

Synchromatic
May 23, 2022
SC Midlands
Good on ya, @juks. I also enjoy working with my hands, though they're not good with fiddly things, like soldering. Still, I enjoy the challenge. Keep learning. That's the ticket.

rcboals

Country Gent
Nov 21, 2008
Springfield Oregon

View attachment 196350

Keep at it you only get better as your learn. My personal motto for everything I attempt guitar work, house repairs, plumbing etc. is "I can't screw it up bad enough a professional can't fix it"
Sharp fret ends are problem for years I put off buying this tool for years use other files this is the bees knees. I just couldn't see the $20+ price for such a small thing. It has been worth every penny comes in handy all the time.

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
Well done, @juks

I have worked on just about everything I have owned for years, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, sailboats, my house and for last 7 or 8 years guitars.

My advice, be prepared to make mistakes and then learn even more as you go about fixing your mistakes.

I live in a big house full of family and pets, I can be found most of the time in the center bay of our garage that I turned into my sanctuary .

98268D38-CFB8-4608-92B6-8618EF1FA644.jpeg F874C3B8-3ED4-47A3-84FC-F9E3EA59037F.jpeg

Last edited:

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
( although in New York ) My buddy runs a Luthier class . 2 days at 8 hrs each day . Students rave about it on Facebook . Perhaps theres something like this in your area ..... never to old to hone in on your skills . Best to you Juks and keep after it 👍

That would be cool. I saw someplace in Denver (I think) who had a week long course how to build a guitar from scratch. I'd love to do something like that.

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Fixing/building/modding "stuff" yourself is a very rewarding undertaking. Too much in the modern world is so complicated or technical (ie computerized) that you just can't do anything with it. Even if you do understand it you need the equipment and ICs to "fix" it. One quick example: bought a Harley a couple of years ago without anti-skid. Turns out if it has anti-skid you can't change the brake fluid without resetting the main onboard computer - which requires software only available to dealers. Maintenance schedule says minimum every 2 years for warranty. I will leave it at that....

Anyway, back on topic.. I consider myself lucky that I was raised without being told "you can't do that without proper training" so I tried all kinds of things that didn't go well. Parents always said "learn from the mistakes and try again if you want to get it right".

Just keep on educating yourself as you can and equiping yourself as you can and do not be afraid to push the limits. Its all about learning and the rewards that come from that.

Sorry that was a bit long winded!!
Congrats on getting fret sprout under your belt. Now on to bigger and better things.

cheers

BrianW

Country Gent
Oct 21, 2014
Vancouver Island
Well done, @juks

I have worked on just about everything I have owned for years, bicycles, motorcycles, cars, sailboats, my house and for last 7 or 8 years guitars.

My advice, be prepared to make mistakes and then learn even more as you go about fixing your mistakes.

I live in a big house full of family and pets, I can be found most of the time in the center bay of our garage that I turned into my sanctuary .

View attachment 196381 View attachment 196382
That looks like the main room in my house. I have no family or pets 😉

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
Well done, i too want to start doing my own work on my guitars, just have to get some tools so i can get started.

I believe everyone is capable at doing something they want to do, you just have to try, after all even the pros were beginners at one point.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
About 30 years ago I built a guitar from scratch.
After a merry morning pint I decided to work on the neckprofile. I failed so miserably that it took me days of work to correct my first attempt.
Lesson learned.

In the end it turned out to be a quite nice guitar, nevertheless.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
About 30 years ago I built a guitar from scratch.
After a merry morning pint I decided to work on the neckprofile. I failed so miserably that it took me days of work to correct my first attempt.
Lesson learned.

In the end it turned out to be a quite nice guitar, nevertheles
Beer for breakfast usually isn't a great idea.
Beer is for after work.
Glad it worked out in the end.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Beer for breakfast usually isn't a great idea.
Beer is for after work.
Glad it worked out in the end.
To be fair this was after a Christmas-morning-gathering with open mic and I was not used to drink so early in the day.
I don`t do alcohol anymore. Not even after work is done.