Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Artist's "Lesser" Works Better to You?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 8, 2017.

1. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    I agree with this 95%. The only change I would make is to change "1963" to "1964."

I notice that when I like a band, I tend to like its earlier work best.

2. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Jun 4, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    Sometimes the hits get tired, and the deeper cuts seem fresher

3. Random1643

Random1643 Synchromatic

May 10, 2015
    Upper Midwest, USA
    Interesting thread. Thanks, Jim.

I share your opinion exactly about Steely Dan's first 5 albums. I thought they lost their way with Aja. And I gotta agree about Springsteen; Darkness is my favorite album and Racing in the Street off that album is my go-to song of his. (That song works great in open G tuning BTW, capoed up a bit.)

hmm,...Little Feat was my all-around fav band in the 70s. It could be that I'm just older than dust, but while most folks I talk to* who like LF gravitate toward The Last Record Album (#6) or the live album, Waiting for Columbus (#7), I always loved Sailing Shoes (#2/1972), Dixie Chicken (#3/1973) and Feats Don't Fail Me Now (#4/1974) the most. In that order.

*So, to be clear, just anecdotal evidence. Not a random sample of the US population. Just conversations I've had.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Gretschie

Oct 22, 2015
    Another way to look at this question would be to ask whether anyone likes a bands' bootlegs or live albums better than the studio releases with production values. Me, I like the Beatles' BBC recordings better than their earliest albums (which I like too, and I know had minimal production) and I like the bootlegged acoustic demos for the White album songs better than the white album versions.

6. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I think liking a bands early work can be because it there more raw and original stuff before they became " BIG" and got over produced. But I also think all of us have a little hipster in us, and like to say we liked a band before they made it big, and now that they are popular, they are over produced or sell outs. just something in our psyche.

and really its probably a combination of the two. I have often found my self not liking a band as much after they become big "Radio Stars" In high school I would "discover" some band no one else had heard of in my school, but then a few months later, they would have a radio hit, and i would here some Girl listening to it as she drove by in her mustang. totally kills the magic lol.

And its funny because we should want the bands we like to be successful, it allows them to continue to make music. but sometimes for a band to gain a larger audience they have to leave their old audience behind. You see it a lot with bands, their style in the earlier years will be completely different, sometimes its because of growth as musicians, but often times its because they put out a single that was different from the rest of their work, and that single goes huge. now their next album is going to be more like that single because that is what sells.

I am sure we could all list off a ton of bands that did just that.

Floo likes this.
  7. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'm too clueless to know which work is lesser or greater in others' estimation. Since my taste is impeccable, however, I must say that I only listen to the greatest works of the greatest artists. ;)

8. Highroller

Highroller Gretschie

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Genesis might be another good example. Most people probably gravitate towards their later hit laden Phil Collins era stuff rather than Foxtrot or even Selling England By The Pound, two fine Peter Gabriel era albums.

Two of my all-time favorite albums are the first two Alice Cooper records: Pretties for You and Easy Action. Critics panned them when they came out, one even calling Pretties for You a “complete waste of vinyl”. Ha! I can’t even begin to count the thousands of times I’ve listened to those over 40+ years! They're practically etched into my DNA.