Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Artist's "Lesser" Works Better to You?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jan 8, 2017.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Last discussion question of the night, I promise.

I love Steely Dan and have since high school. However, while many insist Aja is the peak of their music, I prefer all of their previous five albums to that one, especially Pretzel Logic. Nothing against Aja, but compared to the others I find it over-produced, sterile and much of a sameness. The others are more varied and adventurous.

Similarly my favorite Bruce Springsteen album is Darkness on the Edge of Town.

Do you prefer an artist's "lesser" works to their supposed "greater" ones?

2. Whiteomatic

Whiteomatic Gretschie

Nov 24, 2016
    Arizona
  3. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    I'm a big fan of Led Zepplen's 3rd album. An album that many said was one of their lesser works. Not in my humble opinion.

houndman55, section2 and Tony65x55 like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Nor mine, it was the best album they did IMHO.

section2 and Gretschman2 like this.
  6. audept

audept Gretschified

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Really depends on the artist. I agree with you about Pretzel Logic though.

7. Floo

Floo Synchromatic

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Regarding Led Zep, I prefer the Rain Song over Stairway to Heaven. Other than that - it just depends, although I think lesser known albums/songs might be more interesting than the well known tunes one has heard a bazillion times. Often earlier work seems to be more energetic, soulful or original to me.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Country Gent

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" and "Meddle" are faves. I could come up with tons of examples. I usually prefer the earlier works of an artist, but some improve with age. I usually don't listen to anything "popular" these days. Different generations, I guess. Often, sales numbers are more dependent on hype and the fickleness of "The Public". That's how we get Bieber and Fifth Harmony and the like.

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Depends on the artist and on the "lesser" work.

10. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm that way too, though my fave is Kashmir. Stairway is great, but has been so beat to death that I skip it these days; Kashmir though goes up to 11.

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Agree with you about Wish You Were Here.

raderiohead likes this.
  12. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

May 4, 2016
    Tennessee
    I don't know that I would classify them as lesser works, but some of the early works for a band that caught my ear at a formative time in my life will forever be favorites. Although I may have continued listening to a band, and continued to enjoy their music, I would still be tied to the stuff that originally caught my attention (BTW, drmilktruck, I do tend to agree with you on Steely Dan, even though I still enjoy some of the songs from Aja).

One band that seemed to just keep knocking me out was Pink Floyd. It's their sound that catches my attention . . . every time.

13. raderiohead

raderiohead Electromatic

May 25, 2014
    the desert of SE WA state
    I would take any of the first four albums by The Police over Synchronicity.
    Regatta De Blanc and Zenyatta Mondatta being the strongest

I agree with the Floyd choices and would throw in Animals as well.
    Aja is tough to beat but if any were close it would be The Royal Scam for me.

14. houndman55

houndman55 Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2014
    Sweden
    Sure, Obscured by clouds, meddle, animals and the divison bell are much more interesting to me than dark side of the moon amd the wall. Just my two cents.

15. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    The demo cassette from Bare Naked Ladies. An Indie release (way before Indie was cool) from 1991. Then they got signed to a label and released Gordon. It such a produced and highly polished album that I preferred the cassette.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Yellow_Tape

16. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    Sometimes one song-jewel justifies treasuring one album full of lemons.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    stevo, MTurner and houndman55 like this.
  17. houndman55

houndman55 Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2014
    Sweden
    Oh yeah :)

18. Pdnlegs

Pdnlegs Synchromatic

May 28, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Many times I buy a CD liking the Single but thanks to overplaying on the Radio end up not liking that song much but if its a good album I end up finding other non single tracks that I like even better then the Single.

for Example Bad Religion's "The Process of Belief" Album. the Single was Sorrow. But Kyoto Now was my favorite Song.

19. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I guess many would consider the early Beatles output their lesser work when compared to the more complex material in Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, Abbey Road, White Album, etc. But I would be perfectly fine if they had hung it up at the end of 1963. What they recorded in that one year is to me by far and away their best work.

20. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    At times.

My favorite Springsteen work is "Nebraska" even though his most popular is probably "Born in the USA".

Sometimes, I'm in line with public/popular opinion as in the case of "Brothers in Arms" and "Full Moon Fever".

But I'm with you most of the time - favorites of mine are often not the more popular works.

21. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Kasmir definitely goes to 11 and might be my number 1 Led Zeppelin song. But for complete albums, I'm a fan of II and IV more so than Physical Graffiti.

Mr. Lumbergh likes this.