Are Smoke body edges rolled more than prior models?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by sgarnett, May 8, 2020.

1. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Those mods look great. You really made it your own.

2. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Very different lighting. The pics of the edges are from my kitchen, the tele is on my workbench by a window, the first few Smoke pics are from months ago and at night, the one in front of the door had very little lighting, the one up close of the body had some sunlight from a nearby window.

In person it looks like a faded orange.

Thanks. New frets and a new nut and I'll probably consider it "done".

RG7X and sgarnett like this.
  3. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
  4. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    Look at the contour of the area circled on each model

upload_2020-5-8_13-52-21.jpeg

upload_2020-5-8_13-52-35.jpeg

upload_2020-5-8_13-52-50.jpeg

sgarnett likes this.
  5. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I realize the 5420 is a better guitar than the streamliner but the streamliner has better lines IMO.
    If the streamliners had the big F holes they would be a better and more affordable mod project as a 6120 substitute.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    sgarnett likes this.
  6. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Wow, I hadn’t noticed that! Thanks, @Parttime.

It would probably be feasible to convert the 2420 parallel bars into trestle or ML bracing (and easier than starting from a sound post 5x20 model). With the smaller f-holes, that would be closer to a Tennessee Rose I guess.

Parttime likes this.
  7. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    The smoke do look different in each type of lighting

upload_2020-5-8_15-24-27.png

upload_2020-5-8_15-24-48.png

Same guitar
    I had space control bridge on it I really liked but the adjustamatic has better tone

CaliforniaSlim and sgarnett like this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Well, there goes the proceeds from the last three guitars I sold! Guess I better get some more listings up ....

Thanks guys! I think .... :D

Parttime likes this.
  9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I'd need to see measurements, hard to tell if the difference is due to color, camera angle or picture quality. Interesting comparison.

10. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    I think they’re making the streamliner in the same jig as the 6120’s
    But the 5420 has a different jig

11. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    upload_2020-5-8_17-53-48.jpeg

upload_2020-5-8_17-54-3.jpeg

upload_2020-5-8_17-54-16.jpeg

new6659 and sgarnett like this.
  12. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    The photos from the rear are definitely more telling.

Parttime likes this.
  13. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    sgarnett likes this.
  14. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Gretschie

Sep 7, 2009
    England
    Have you considered fitting an arm rest to the body? That way your forearm would have no contact with the edge. Here:

Also:
    https://www.jpstrings.com/armrest.htm

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  15. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Definitely! I’m always in search of a better armrest design, and have tried several. That Abel armrest looks promising - I’ll check it out - thanks!

I also discovered the Alvarez AG60AR, a Grand Auditorium guitar with a beautifully-executed beveled armrest. It’s made in China and inexpensive, but well-spec’ed, well built, and like Gretsch it punches way above its weight. I’ve sold off “better” guitars in favor of the Alvarez.
    https://islandmusicco.com/alvarez-ag60ar-grand-auditorium-acoustic-guitar-natural/

The banjo-style armrests like the JP and Penguin rests don’t get the geometry right, but I’ve thought about trying to make my own version of the JP.

Oh, and I haven’t had good luck with designs using suction cups. They tend to come loose at bad moments. Wetting them helps, but that’s not great for lacquer.

Balance is very important too. Anything that needs pressure against the lower bout to stabilize it is a non-starter.

16. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I was seriously considering either a Rat Rod 5410 or Players Edition 6120 as a platform for carving a custom armrest. That may still happen, but the Smoke just ticks a lot of boxes.

Parttime likes this.
  17. Parttime

Parttime Gretschie

Dec 6, 2018
    Texas
    If I was gonna get a players I’d go for this one. The players also have the 2 1/4 inch body’s. They should be pretty comfortable.

upload_2020-5-9_23-47-39.jpeg

sgarnett likes this.
  18. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @jarrodtaylor , did you post somewhere that your compound-radius Smoke varied less than expected (like 9.5 to 10)? I’m sure I read that but can’t find it.

Anyway, that conical section would be measured from nut-to-bridge. I would still expect to measure somewhere around 11-1/4” at the end of the fretboard though.

Did you go with the Standard Series 12” Serpentune with 2-29/32” post spacing?

19. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Mine's 10" at the end of fretboard. I went with the standard 12" titanium Serpentune. Better to have a higher radius bridge than lower.

With all that said, the action is low, there's no fret buzz, intonation is fine, and I don't have issues bending strings anywhere on the neck. I stuck the bridge on, did a setup, and it works.

There's nothing particularly wrong with the stock bridge either, just to be clear. It was a tune-o-matic but not the crap rattle-y one Gretsch usually ships. I'm guessing it was a Gotoh model. It's on a Jet right now, in fact. I wanted the sound of a titanium bridge on this guitar. Simple as that. The stock guitar was done really well and the changes I made were just because I wanted them, not to make up for weak points. I'm going to being doing some surgery on it tonight to try it with T-90, too (TV Jones shipment is scheduled to delivery later today).

sgarnett likes this.
  20. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Sounds like an awesome combination!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.