Are Smoke body edges rolled more than prior models?

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
I know the Smoke neck edges are rolled more than previous models.

The Smoke body edges are rolled too, but how do they compare to the SSLVO/SSU and Players Edition body edges?

jarrodtaylor

Gretschie
Mar 14, 2019
Delray Beach, FL
It’s not as noticeable as the neck differences. Unless you compared them side by side you probably wouldn’t even think about it. It’s a nice-to-have thing.

It’s kind of hard to get a pic of but maybe you’ll be able to see it here. The orange one is a Smoke model. The ivory and charcoal one is a Players Edition, the purple one is a preFMIC hot rod, and the blue one is a Tele for comparison.

The old hot rod is the closest by feel and is actually more of a roll than the Smoke.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Thanks! It’s a pretty big deal for me. A nerve issue in my right forearm makes me extremely sensitive to even light contact with an unrolled edge (causes numbness, tingling, and electric-shock sensations in my hand). It’s amazing how much difference a rolled edge can make, even through a sweatshirt.

Now that rolled fretboard seems like an oh-so-nice-to-have! I have a Strat with an unbound fretboard that is rolled a little, but nothing like the Smoke.

jarrodtaylor

Gretschie
Mar 14, 2019
Delray Beach, FL
Thanks! It’s a pretty big deal for me. A nerve issue in my right forearm makes me extremely sensitive to even light contact with an unrolled edge (causes numbness, tingling, and electric-shock sensations in my hand). It’s amazing how much difference a rolled edge can make, even through a sweatshirt.

Ah that doesn't sound fun. Well, the hot rod has more body edge roll and the Smoke has more neck roll.

Now that rolled fretboard seems like an oh-so-nice-to-have! I have a Strat with an unbound fretboard that is rolled a little, but nothing like the Smoke.

The neck edge breakpoint (or whatever you call it) on the Smoke is moved back a few millimeters from where it usually is. I think that's what makes it feel so different. It lets you hang your thumb over the top without as much of a wrist bend. It's a minor change but in an area where little differences add up fast.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Ah that doesn't sound fun. Well, the hot rod has more body edge roll and the Smoke has more neck roll.
The neck edge breakpoint (or whatever you call it) on the Smoke is moved back a few millimeters from where it usually is. I think that's what makes it feel so different. It lets you hang your thumb over the top without as much of a wrist bend. It's a minor change but in an area where little differences add up fast.
I learned the hard way that ignoring the warning signs of nerve injury is a really bad idea ....

Is the string spacing at the nut narrower because of the rolled edges?

Counting kidneys and wondering how many I can spare .... I’m on a herd-thinning mission, but considering an upgrade as part of that.

Parttime

Gretschie
Dec 6, 2018
Texas
String spacing is the same
You won’t go wrong with the smoke
I have some nerve issues myself and just the 1/4 inch difference in body thickness from previous models as well as 5420’s makes a huge difference in comfort. I love mine.

upload_2020-5-8_10-7-52.png

The only mod I did to this baby was a DE Bigsby arm.

jarrodtaylor

Gretschie
Mar 14, 2019
Delray Beach, FL
The only mod I did to this baby was a DE Bigsby arm.

Oh man, I did a ton of stuff to mine. Light wax potted Setzer Sig neck and Classic+ bridge pickups, pickguard and rings from Quickguards, Callaham string though shaft, black painted Bigsby, DE arm, soft spring, titanium Tru-Arc Serpentune, new truss rod cover and tuner washers, hot rod wiring, repurposed the tone switch as a coil splitter, TV Jones knobs and switches, filed the nut for thicker strings, and it’s getting stainless steel 6105 frets soon. Oh, and a jack plate.

These pics are out of date now.

3C512910-FAB6-4D2C-965E-7BB73CCFBD8B.jpeg 4CFB220C-800D-47F5-8D68-EF7C43C75C1B.jpeg 99C5A761-80B9-42E9-974F-91922D6228BB.jpeg

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
@jarrodtaylor I do love 6105 frets! That would have to wait though. I know Gretsch calls the Smoke frets medium-jumbo, but that’s among the most meaningless terms in guitar specs (applied to any fretwire that aren’t vintage or true jumbo). Have you measured your stock frets?

Love that trussrod cover, btw.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
I’m unclear on why a Setzer model would have 6130 frets .... [Besides, ya know, selling more, but the Smoke is not a Strat.]

Last edited:

Parttime

Gretschie
Dec 6, 2018
Texas
Oh man, I did a ton of stuff to mine. Light wax potted Setzer Sig neck and Classic+ bridge pickups, pickguard and rings from Quickguards, Callaham string though shaft, black painted Bigsby, DE arm, soft spring, titanium Tru-Arc Serpentune, new truss rod cover and tuner washers, hot rod wiring, repurposed the tone switch as a coil splitter, TV Jones knobs and switches, filed the nut for thicker strings, and it’s getting stainless steel 6105 frets soon. Oh, and a jack plate.

View attachment 137912 View attachment 137913 View attachment 137914

alright, where did you get the tuner washers? Those are BAD ASS!

upload_2020-5-8_11-50-59.png

Parttime

Gretschie
Dec 6, 2018
Texas

View attachment 137912 View attachment 137913 View attachment 137914

I would also like to see a picture of the whole guitar. The other are a tease

jarrodtaylor

Gretschie
Mar 14, 2019
Delray Beach, FL
I’m unclear on why a Setzer model would have 6130 frets ....

Fender medium jumbos are 6130s. I’m pretty sure Brian Setzer has his redone.

Holding it next to a guitar with 6105s the Smoke frets are visibly fatter. They’re not bad by any means. Same frets they put on their other models. I’m having mine redone because I want stainless steel, not because the stock ones are bad. And while I’m doing that I may as well get the size I want.

alright, where did you get the tuner washers? Those are BAD ASS!

Hellparts. Truss rod cover, too.

I would also like to see a picture of the whole guitar. The other are a tease

I’ll get one today and post it here.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
The frets on my Streamliner are wide like Fender medium jumbos but a bit taller. They aren’t bad. I do like ‘em tall though! Fender’s uber-low frets are not my cup of tea at all. Some people hate 6105s. I love them!

Oh well, frets can be changed, and that can be put off for a long time.

Last edited:

Parttime

Gretschie
Dec 6, 2018
Texas
The frets on my Streamliner are wide like Fender medium jumbos but a bit taller. They aren’t bad. I do like ‘em tall though! Fender’s uber-low frets are not my cup of tea at all. Some people hate 6105s. I love them!

Oh well, frets can be changed, and that can be put off for a long time.

I don’t know if anyone else has ever noticed but a stream liner body is mush closer to a 6120 than a 5420
With exception to the F holes of course.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
I don’t know if anyone else has ever noticed but a stream liner body is mush closer to a 6120 than a 5420
With exception to the F holes of course.
That's a very interesting comment! What do you mean? Besides the smaller, unbound f-holes of course.

sgarnett

Synchromatic
Apr 14, 2020
Kentucky
Interesting how much the Smoke orange varies between orange and brown in different photos, even of the same guitar. Brown is neutralized orange, so it makes sense ....

Latest posts