Votes: 15 51.7%

• Total voters

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
I stand corrected

that pedal for sale is the Dynobrain. a stripped down 77' Roland RE301 space echo "preamp" stand alone unit. The BS-301 Mysterybrain is a full Tape echo sim pedal that remains about 85% analog. It has the defeatable (trubypass stom) 301 space echo preamp, but the front of the Tape echo circuit has an Echoplex preamp that routes to the wet slap back of the tape echo, as does the photocell vibrato on that pedal. All to say, you were indeed not corrected, so you still stand correct. :)

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Double Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2010
Tappan N.Y.
that pedal for sale is the Dynobrain. a stripped down 77' Roland RE301 space echo "preamp" stand alone unit. The BS-301 Mysterybrain is a full Tape echo sim pedal that remains about 85% analog. It has the defeatable (trubypass stom) 301 space echo preamp, but the front of the Tape echo circuit has an Echoplex preamp that routes to the wet slap back of the tape echo, as does the photocell vibrato on that pedal. All to say, you were indeed not corrected, so you still stand correct. :)
@aleceiffel , a great deal here and you heard it from " the man " himself

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
@aleceiffel keep in mind there are to Carbon Copies, the original and a bright, that said if you have the cash the Mystery Brain would be the pedal I would buy. I bought the original carbon copy, which is a bit dark to me, first having never heard of Nocturne pedals. Now that I have both I can honestly say the Mystery Brain would have come first had I known of them when I was looking. I can’t say I wouldn’t still buy the CC but it is a different flavor one that I might have done with out had the MB been in my possession first. The MB has a lot more going for it.

aleceiffel

Electromatic
Sep 3, 2022
Queens, NY
@aleceiffel keep in mind there are to Carbon Copies, the original and a bright, that said if you have the cash the Mystery Brain would be the pedal I would buy. I bought the original carbon copy, which is a bit dark to me, first having never heard of Nocturne pedals. Now that I have both I can honestly say the Mystery Brain would have come first had I known of them when I was looking. I can’t say I wouldn’t still buy the CC but it is a different flavor one that I might have done with out had the MB been in my possession first. The MB has a lot more going for it.
Just picked up a Mystery Brain that was for sale on the forum here because of this thread 😁

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
Just picked up a Mystery Brain that was for sale on the forum here because of this thread 😁

You should be a happy player with that buy. You get the added bonus of the RE-301 preamp on the Mystery Brain. My #1 favorite preamp that I can’t live without. You may just come to the same conclusion.

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
You should be a happy player with that buy. You get the added bonus of the RE-301 preamp on the Mystery Brain. My #1 favorite preamp that I can’t live without. You may just come to the same conclusion.
I love how much ground you can cover with a Mystery Brain and an El Pescadoro/Jr Barnyard.

Last edited:

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I’ve not played those either but I do have a bit of a delay obsession. One of three on my board is the Belle Epoch from Catalinbread and it’s what I use for slapback. It’s got some cool things happening with it including an internal trim pot that allows you to boost the signal. It’s also an optional true bypass or “trails mode” that allows the signal to route/condition via the internal path without the delay. It definitely thickens the tone and has plenty of control to get a variety of sounds. I’m very happy with it. Oh, and you can also run it at18v for yet another flavor.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
@aleceiffel ....I'm tellin'ya

HA! When I cast my vote, I had RJ's demo in mind as the Mystery Brain is the pinnacle of slapback glory in my opinion.

@TV the Wired Turtle - You created magic that I just cannot think of anything that is near equal in comparison. I used to say that I don't have one yet because I'm not focusing my playing on Rockabilly at the moment. The fact is it seems to make everything sound better. It is a prime example where a pedal inspires a player to just "have at it" and go wild with creating!

TsarNicholas

Electromatic
Jun 23, 2022
Dublin, Ireland
I had a Mystery Brain for a while and while it is undoubtably a fantastic pedal, I just prefer the darker repeats of my Carbon Copy. I need to get a Dyno Brain because I miss that glorious preamp in the MB.

aleceiffel

Electromatic
Sep 3, 2022
Queens, NY
Back from the trenches here.. So, I've had some experience with the Mystery Brain and Aqua-Puss at this point -- both fantastic pedals, but I _think_ I want something a tad bit brighter? I think I'm just very used to the built-in slapback on the Super Champ XD, which I imagine is just the cheapest digital modeling they could cram in there. My brain is wired to expect something close to an exact repeat of the notes hit..

So, does that mean I should be in the market for a digital delay pedal? If that's the case, I suppose the Echoplex still stands? Anyone have experience in terms of "brightness" w/ the Echoplex? Also, would a DD-3 (T? 7? 8?) be the go-to answer for a digital delay to do what it sounds like I'm desiring?

Bertotti

Gretschified
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Back from the trenches here.. So, I've had some experience with the Mystery Brain and Aqua-Puss at this point -- both fantastic pedals, but I _think_ I want something a tad bit brighter? I think I'm just very used to the built-in slapback on the Super Champ XD, which I imagine is just the cheapest digital modeling they could cram in there. My brain is wired to expect something close to an exact repeat of the notes hit..

So, does that mean I should be in the market for a digital delay pedal? If that's the case, I suppose the Echoplex still stands? Anyone have experience in terms of "brightness" w/ the Echoplex? Also, would a DD-3 (T? 7? 8?) be the go-to answer for a digital delay to do what it sounds like I'm desiring?
Might be, the carbon copy is darker there was a bright version of it but I have never tires it. I have threatened to buy a source audio delay but haven’t done so. I would think with the tweak-ability something by them or Strymon should get you where you want. Honestly haven’t used very many delay pedals So I can’t contribute much.