Anyone using nocturne brains?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by chrisrodgers13, Nov 24, 2012.

1. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    From experience, you will get an honest and accurate answer from Tavo. Yes he has a profit dog in the fight but mostly what Nocturne sells is the results (a pedal that gits it dun) and his very solid reputation. His response will reflect that. If he doesn't respond in a day or two, I'd PM him ot email him on the Nocturne site. Good luck.

mj

2. MoonshineCalbilly

MoonshineCalbilly Country Gent

Feb 22, 2012
    Redding, CA
    Maybe you've already listened to these; if not they may help:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXo3prcPgwA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXo3prcPgwA[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyuz8tSlrKE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyuz8tSlrKE[/ame]

:cool:

3. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    Atomic brain, love it, enough said

4. Dan C

Dan C Country Gent

Mar 20, 2011
    London
    Gigged mine last night, could not imagine not having one now. Go getcha some, I think you will have far more control over the preamp gain etc with a brain and you also get the boost functionality if you go for the atomic over the Dyno.

I would go for it, I ummmed and ahhhhed for far longer than I should have looking back on it. You wont regret getting one :)

5. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Dyna Brain and a Billy Brain. The billy doesn't see as much use (I usually ride the volume knob) but it's there in the stable case I need it.

So, I guess I actually have a two piece Atomic Ensemble!

6. Barty

Barty Gretschie

Jul 28, 2010
    Sydney
    Just to add to the chorus, I love mine, and it's always on...I play through a Vox AC30.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Taking the threadtitle literally...is anyone using 2 brains for über teutonic rock tones?

8. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    I use mine with three overdrives, a treble boost and a clean boost pedal.

Gainy goodness

Marlin

9. At the same time?

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have the Atomic Brain, the Billy Brain, and the only one-of-a-kind Dyno Brain with fuzz combo. In my opinion, everyone needs more Brains!

11. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    No, well, not often.

Usually, I play into a clean amp, on the edge of breakup. Play soft, it's clean, dig in, it's gritty. Setzerish.

My main OD is my Joyo Sweet Baby (awesome pedal, set before the Billy Brain), with just a bit of dirt on. It cleans up well on the volume knob. After the Brain, it's the TimmyV2. It doesn't clean up so well, so I use that in combination with the Joyo to add or subtract gain on the volume knob. It's a nice combination

I just got a Nocturne Fez, so am playing with that in the chain too. I really like it. I can switch between that and the Timmy to change the sound of he OD, and the level of gain. Step on the Fez with the other two engaged, the amp snarls. Non of these OD's are set high, so I'm adding thin layers of gain.

I have a treble boost, which just pops the tone when I feel like it, and a clean boost which makes the amp jump about on the stand.

I use a combination of the above, a Fuzz Ray (mental pedal), my cruddy wah and a delay. My tuner is a Tu1000, which I picked up on ebay for £25

Marlin

12. lostcat

lostcat Gretschie

Mar 25, 2012
    Australia
    By the sound of things it is time I find out how much it will cost to get a Brain in Oz - or should that be shipped to Oz

Will wait until the new custom amp arrives - I am fortunate to have an amp guru nearby who is creating a Bassman/Deluxe from my dying Boogie Studio 22 - (it has done a lot of miles but PC boards ALL have a use by date if you mount toobs on em)

My Christmas present to me :) _ next stop - Nocturne

13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Just go to the Nocturne website and click the "international" option on add to cart and you will see how much it costs for each Nocturne product. Usually international shipping cost is $US47.00, my orders from Tavo usually arrive to Sydney in about 7 days, although this may be longer nearer to Xmas with postage backlogs.

14. nickyboy

nickyboy Synchromatic

Jan 10, 2011
    South Wales, UK
    Any idea what the UK eta is folks:) ?

15. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    about ten days from despatch, depending on customs.

Marlin

16. chrisrodgers13

chrisrodgers13 Electromatic

Sep 19, 2012
    Ok guys I'm having trouble deciding between to billy brain and the atomic brain.... Ideas?

17. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I am under the impression that Billy Brain juices up the Abby side of the Atomic Brain. The Atomic Brain may therefore be more versatile, especially in the lower range. I suppose it depends on how you want to use it. If you just want to slam the daylights out of the front end of a tube amp, the Billy will get you there quick, but the Atomic may have more shades of subtlety?

18. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo Electromatic

Sep 30, 2012
    Ohio
    Anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Atomic Brain-should hopefully be any day now-can't wait to get my hands on it!

19. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Tele295 is right the Billy is the clean boost part of the Atomic. I think you're better off with the Atomic or Dyna Brains over the Billy. But the Billy side of the Atomic works well to goose it all!

20. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo Electromatic

Sep 30, 2012
    Ohio
    Recieved the Atomic Brain yesterday, and like so many others have said, WOW! What a tremendous addition to my set-up, and well worth the builld time wait. Thanks Tavo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.