Anyone using a Fulltone OCD in their rig?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by shredtrash, Oct 30, 2009.

1. shredtrash

shredtrash Electromatic

Aug 16, 2009
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I'm especially interested in your results if you use a 6120 and an EL-84 amp. Thanks!

2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I was using an OCD and TTE with my 6120SSU into a Tophat
    King Royale 212 combo for some time. It was too brash and
    when I put it toe to toe with the Barber Burn Unit, it paled.
    I think it does a good job with a strat and my older son is
    using the danolectro Cool Cat Drive (supposedl ripoff clone
    of the Fulltone OCD) with his strat (loaded with fat 50s) into a V18 EL84 amp (I modded the circuit to be be cleaner and more vox, along with a celestion v30 and JJ tubes)
    Running my Gretsch into his rig, the OCD ripoff dano pedal is pretty
    cool for Smashing Pumpkins riffing. ( billy corgan rules)
    My vote is for the Barber Burn Unit when it comes to filtertron'd Gretsch
    guitars. Amazing low gain to high gain marshall meets dumble tones and textures. I wont even go into how cool it sounds with the Tim pedal in front of it.

3. shredtrash

shredtrash Electromatic

Aug 16, 2009
    Rio Rancho, NM
    What specifically did you like better about the Burn Unit? Was it the better low end? Thanks!

4. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I'm using the Fulltone RTO version of the OCD for everything. Awesome pedals.

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Electromatic

Aug 16, 2009
    Rio Rancho, NM
    What styles of music do you play?

6. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    well for one you have an internal EQ, but the overall design comes from
    a twist on the ol' dual opamp using doubled up clipping diodes. Barber
    has managed to put the clip across the tone spectrum in a really musical
    but "marshall-ful" way. Maybe that means aggressive but smooth, amp like.
    The OCD sounds like you are playing a pedal and its fizzy upper side dont really
    save its big low end.
    I am a true Fulltone fan, but I havent really dug what mike does for drive boxes
    that venture further than his FD2. I had the fulltone red distortion pedal and
    couldnt hear a difference between it and my boss DS-1 I'd modded using LEDs like the lovetone.

I guess part of the problem is that Mike has always designed his stuff to shine at stage volume and I do remember when I got my first orange FD2
    folks were *****ing that is was sort of dull sounding. It was FAR from dull when you are playing with a blazing rock band and your amp is already starting to reach that tube saturation point.
    ..yet for me the OCD becomes almost like a big muff pi, that plays you instead of you playing it. :)..maybe not that bad.
    The Barber burn unit can be very very TS808
    in the green channel but the other side is really dumble meets plexi. The compression is there for your plank guitars when you dial the dynamics
    way back, almost like early EVH, but if you open that part of the circuit up
    your fingers are loud and clear on a gretsch guitar.
    On my last album I did a rev Horton heat "santana" spin on an old gospel
    tune "power in the blood" and for the solo I blazing it with the barber burn
    unit with my SSU.
    I think I've got it on my song list at my myspace site if you want reference.

7. shredtrash

shredtrash Electromatic

Aug 16, 2009
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Thanks a bunch for taking the time to write this. I'm definitely going to look into a Burn Unit on your recommendation.

8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I'm with Tavo it was to brash. I've had about all of them low $ and high $$$ and eventually they all fall short of the real OD sound of a cranked amp. Right now i'm using a Danelectro Transparent overdrive $33.00 shipped sounds as good as any. Check out the video comparing it to a TIM. Like I say they are all BS compared to an overdriven amp.

9. Bengal65

Bengal65 Country Gent

Sep 11, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Pretty much all styles. But, with the Fulltone RTO, I'm using it for Blues and Classic Rock. I don't need my Marshall stacks cranked up to get the tone. It works great with Fender amps as well. Robin uses the pedal in the studio hooked up to a Blues Jr., a Cornell and Marshall's set at low volume.

10. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    soo.. I grabbed the CO-1 and plugged it direct from my tele (filtertronned)
    to the "bass" channel of my 63' blonde. Set the tone and gain low but turned
    up the pedals volume. (bass side of amp has the high end damper clipped out
    so you can use it with guitars really nicely).
    I have to say that for jimmy page meets dean deleo tones.. its there.
    OCD should be purchased and the asian built dano version shunned but
    my kids gotta have some pedals! :)
    ps.
    When I plug it into my kids V18 its more like STPs "wicked garden"tone to
    Pumpkins "silverf#ck" tone.

11. I am Incinerator

I am Incinerator Gretschie

Jan 2, 2009
    Omaha
    Page, Deleo...STP...Pumpkins?!? NIIICE

12. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    .. a great refresher;
    Melancholy and the infinite Sadness "Ode to no one" -pumpkins

Tiny Music "trippin on a hole in a paper cup" -STP

Zep's IN through the OUT door "all of my love" -page

13. lenoboy

lenoboy Electromatic

Sep 21, 2009
    Westlake Village, CA
    I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU CHECK OUT ANY AND ALL OF THE FUCHS AUDIO TECHNOLOGY PLUSH PEDALS. THE CREAM AND CREAM SUPREME ARE AMAZING AND THE NOXIOUS IS COMPLETELY OFF THE HOOK. THE ODS PALES IN COMPARISON. HERE IS THE LINK TO FUCHS AUDIO: fuchsaudiotechnology.com

14. shredtrash

shredtrash Electromatic

Aug 16, 2009
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I actually wanted to avoid anything like a TS. I went with the OCD and I'm very happy with the results. I was using a Setzer Hot Rod w/TV's into a Pierson Tweed Champ w/a Celestion Blue. OCD settings were: HP mode, Volume at 3 o'clock, Drive at 9 o'clock and Tone at 10:30. Killer AC/DCish rhythm tones which is exactly what I was going for. Good stuff! I hit it with a treble booster or a Keeley TS9 for leads. Also excellent!

I'll be using my OCD in my rock band. My other band is a 50's rock n' roll band so I don't need that level of drive.

15. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    strangely enough turning the gain waaay down and turning up the volume
    yields a very interesting cleanish flat mids drive box. The only thing limiting
    it is its tone control.

16. DevilYouKnow

DevilYouKnow Country Gent

Jan 18, 2009
    Fog City USA
    I have barber's "small fry" burn unit. And holy crap, it's the best sounding - dumble in a box if you will - OD pedal ever. I think the only diff btw. the small fry and regular BU are that internal trim pots on the Fry are on top on the regular. Anyway, got it on the cheap and it blows away all the 808, Timmy and Lovepedal I've used in the past. Can't second the news in this thread enough w/ regard to Barber and this B.U. Product.

17. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Isn't the Cool Cat a Chorus pedal?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice