Anyone up for this : KLOS Silent Cable.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by HypotenusLuvTriangle, Sep 29, 2020.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have a neutrik plug that does a similar thing, a mini sleeve goes over the shaft when not plugged in preventing noise, plugging it in pushes the sleeve back.

One concern is if the moving parts makes it more vulnerable. If the sleeve breaks on the Neutral, I think it will just act as a regular plug. The Klos button "closes the circuit" so I am not sure how if it would continue to function as a cable if the button broke or got stuck - presumably, it would get stuck while "on".

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    That’s a bit too similar to the Klotz Titanium cable with silent plugs.

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Or, you could just turn the amp's volume up AFTER you plug into it.
    You could just avoid touching the tip and sleeve together.
    It's a solution to a non problem.

5. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

That’s what I was thinking. A solution in search of a problem indeed.

Medium John likes this.
  6. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Yeah, that's what I do.
    And I use wireless transmitters now. Can't deal with the cable anymore.

7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I have installed 4 Neutrik silent plugs and two G&H silent plugs - all in the past as experiments and tests. Neutrik are super well made in general and these were certainly solid feeling. But all four eventually failed in the field. I'll buy Neutriks all day long, but not the silent ones. The G&H are better but the sleeve spring is a little strong and tends to push the plugs out of some pedal jacks.

As for the silent feature - nope, not completely silent. Still prone to some cracks and pops but not as much.

Bottom line - I won't be buying any sort of "silent" plug anymore. Your cable is a critical part of your signal chain, it must not fail. Pedals can fail and I can just bypass them. But cable, guitar and amp must not fail.

And one more thing - that looks like a definite attempt to "rip off" the look of the Neutrik. It also looks like it's just waiting to fail. Nope, not buying this one.

HypotenusLuvTriangle likes this.
  8. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Good to know. Never tried any of those types of plugs.

9. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    When I first saw this thread a few hours ago I decided to wait as I didn't want to rain on the product.
    But who needs this, really? After using regular connectors for years have you been hoping for an expensive silent plug to appear??
    A "game-changing instrument cable"? Not really.
    It's less expensive to put a cheap tuner on your board.

Been blowing your speakers and irritating the audience? You're not smart enough to play guitar in public. LOL

10. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Made me smile this thread because the obvious good sense (summed up in the solution looking for a problem track) struck my old time mind at once.

On the other hand, it must be difficult to keep potential customers interested when your product is lengths of cable with two simple (and compared to say XLRs) inefficient plugs/sockets the design of which has been around for over a century so don't they deserve some credit for trying? :)

Because it feels as if I've sometimes bought more cables than strings the wireless links interest me but is the potential problem of latency still a factor?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  11. Medium John

Medium John Electromatic

Indeed ..:cool:

12. Alanqa

Alanqa Gretschie

Aug 22, 2019
    Lancashire UK
    I too have neutrik silent plugs on all my guitar leads.

13. HypotenusLuvTriangle

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    There's been no latency issue I've found with wireless transmitters. I don't play live at all, just playing at home. So, its helpful. If I were to play live, I'd get a real nice wireless system. I'm currently using like $50 cheap transmitters and they sound absolutely fine.

14. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The ad is really an abuse of the term "game changing". This type of product has been around for quite a while already & I don't believe anybody's game was changed as a result.

audept likes this.
  15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    This is actually very impractical for me. My clean channel is super sensitive at my home playing volume, it takes a few seconds to move it the nanometers necessary to get it to the right volume, it can easily go from near silent to deafening. I try to leave that knob alone unless I am changing playing environments which hasn't occurred since February. But I do use a tuner and volume pedal to mute, but I still like the neutrik plug. It doesn't cost much more.

There is also an added benefit, on my jet, the jack is a socket type and it is recessed. Some right angle plugs are not long enough to seat properly. The neutrik silent plug is tiny bit longer and fits better than other plugs I've used.

16. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I got many problems in my life, but my guitar cables don’t rank among them.
    They are probably the factor I care the least about. I buy monster cables or the cables made at my local shop and use them till they don’t work anymore. Then I replace them.

17. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    Amp volume, Volume Pedal, Tuner Pedal... The list of alternate switching options is endless.

Just to note, someone mentioned Klotz Titanium, and others have said Neutrik Silent Plugs. Just to join the dots, the Klotz cables use Neutrik Silent Plugs.

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.