Anyone tried these?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Rob Williams, Dec 26, 2019.

1. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
  2. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    See now, i liked those in my 5120:rolleyes:
    It really needed filters though.
    I actually like the stockers in my Sheraton:D

3. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I have their "Dream 90's" and a set of their "metal foil" pickups and love them! Great value, Great tone!

4. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Yeah the stock buckers were so much better!

5. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    The pole pieces look a little wimpy to me but in the past I’ve liked the Gfs pickups I’ve used so I bet these are probably pretty good

6. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I'm not sure I'd feel ok putting them in my 6120, but thinking about them for my Epi Broadway....

thunder58 likes this.
  7. kjmac

kjmac Gretschie

Mar 7, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I have bought about 6 or 7 sets of GFS pickups and the only bad ones I've ever received were the Telecaster noiseless. They had really low output and the sound was weak even cranked way up. My favorites are the Retrotron Nashville humbuckers and the Dream 180's. BTW, their pre-made wiring harnesses are great to use with their pickups and their plug in system. They have a deluxe series of wiring harness that uses fabric push up wiring insulation, full size pots, quality switches and a good cap on the tone circuit.

Henry and jfassett like this.
  8. Tg-59

Tg-59 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2019
    Vasa Finland
    I have them in my 5420 tg-59 and they sound really good, great value. IMG_20200220_134250.jpg

Ricochet and jfassett like this.
  9. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    How do they compare to the blacktops? I assume that’s what you had before the gfs trons

10. Tg-59

Tg-59 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2019
    Vasa Finland
    They are more dynamic in every way, the sound is in very close to my 6120 hotrod with tv jones classics. They are great in a 5 ply body.

Ricochet and jfassett like this.
  11. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    I have a G5120 with Gretsch buckers. GFS has so many humbuckers to choose from and they should drop right in. But the new GFTron seems like a winner. What did you have to buy to fit them?

12. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I have the GFS humbucker sized P90's in my 5122 and their gold foils in my 5420, both sound great!

13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Cost effective? Maybe try Roswell Filtertrons sold by Music Store in Germany.

14. Skibbers

Skibbers Electromatic

Feb 21, 2020
    Minneapolis
    My brain is on overload from the choices at GFS. I’m leaning towards Surf 90’s right now.

15. Tg-59

Tg-59 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2019
    Vasa Finland
    I bought Filter'Tron, GF'Tron fit Adapter Plate with Screw CHROME and Vintage Filter'Tron, GF'Tron fit Pickup Trim Rings Gold

jfassett likes this.
  16. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I’m still mystified at how one “wire wrapped around a magnet” can be so different than another “wire wrapped around a magnet”. Even with such similar designs. I guess it’s the same as one Les Paul being better than another Les Paul out of a pile of 100 Les Pauls

17. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Simple in principle - like everything - but critical in the detail. Like everything ... most of the time, the details are simple in principle, too, and the good stuff is what is simply and robust, but does the desired trick. I could get in an hourlang blabla about this topic in general, dissecting some machinery, but I dount anyone wants to read kant-long sentences of a non-native speaker...

Just yesterday I read an article about pickups where it was mentioned the optimal magnet would be ellipsoid-shaped, but the chamfer on their ends are an approximation, regarding the shape of the magnetic field. But this was about magnet slugs, not polepieces, so ... maybe applies differently here ...

... anyway, as I want more twang from the Streamliner, too, I'm actually not done thinking, looking etc, but have Surf-90s in my mind since a few weeks... Maybe they'll get a try there.

Ricochet and sgarnett like this.
  18. Phruzao

Phruzao Electromatic

Jan 23, 2019
    Brazil
    Beautiful? how do you compare against the Blacktops?

19. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I popped a set in simply because they're so easy to install, I already had a set of the GFS P90's going. They're pretty good, although, a bit darker or warmer that the P90's, better look though!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice