Anyone tried these pickups ... ?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by oneforsorrow, Mar 27, 2021.

1. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Seymour Duncan Vintage Mini Humbucker

With the promise of gigs on the horizon, I've been puzzling out my touring rig and I've realized that my newly acquired Gretsch Country Club is louder and bolder than my Reverend Buckshot by a noticeable amount. I always liked the Buckshot and played almost exclusively with the neck pup (Rev'tron). However, I'm finding it to be a bit flat sounding compared the HS Filtertrons in CC. I've played with the height of the pup and the pole pieces to dial in something close to what I'm after but I'm wondering about a Firebird style pup in place of the Rev'tron. In particular, I like what I've heard of the Seymour Duncan Vintage Mini Humbucker. And I think I've found a way to mount it in my Reverend with minimal intrusion.

Anyone tried one of these? If so, what'd you think?

Thanks in advance!

2. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I've used the SD minihum Antiquity ll, the ones with the poles. They are the closest to the genuine Gibson I found. Not used them in a Gretsch though.
    Mini's are clean and very middy, so be aware of that. Also be aware (and you probably already are) the 'Trons sound different in a band mix/gig than sitting in the music room... but I guess all pickups do!

3. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Gretschie

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Yeah, the Gretsch is the wild card as I've only gigged it in live streams but I've been playing it non-stop for the last 9 months so I'm pretty well attuned to it. And I'm completely happy with the pickups in the Gretsch. It's the Reverend's ability to keep up that has me considering just changing out the whole vibe of the Rev'tron and going a new direction. I think I'd like to have a bolder, brash, microphonic quality as different flavor.

And I only play in a duo so I "mix" myself in my sleep as we've been at it for 19 years now.

Thanks for the input on your experience.

Blister likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.