Anyone tried Ray Butts in a Jet?

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I am on the verge of doing this myself, Tavo was nice enough to post the below video in one of my threads, not sure if you have seen it Audept.

I had missed this somehow. Thanks so much for posting, Stefan. This answers all my questions and changes the direction I may choose to go in. Now begins the process of deciding who will be the transplant recipient.

new6659

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 10, 2018
Southwestern Ontario
I have them in my G6129T-62-LTD sparkle Jet. They're significantly different from Filtertrons and their variants in my other guitars, very clean and hi-fi. Lovely. They also make the mud switch quite useful as the change in tone is clearly evident in the down position. It seems to me that most of this is a consequence of their low output.

1653968754125.jpeg

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I had missed this somehow. Thanks so much for posting, Stefan. This answers all my questions and changes the direction I may choose to go in. Now begins the process of deciding who will be the transplant recipient.
Happy to help, personally I love every sound clip I have heard of the RB's but they are all in hollowbodies, they will be going in one of my guitars at somepoint but I dunno, am still on the fence if I'd want them in a jet or not.

You have some fine examples that I'm sure would suit a set of RB pick ups, I don't envy your decision lol, I struggled so hard to make a call on pick ups for my anniversary. Maybe one of your falcons or the quilty 6120?

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Happy to help, personally I love every sound clip I have heard of the RB's but they are all in hollowbodies, they will be going in one of my guitars at somepoint but I dunno, am still on the fence if I'd want them in a jet or not.

You have some fine examples that I'm sure would suit a set of RB pick ups, I don't envy your decision lol, I struggled so hard to make a call on pick ups for my anniversary. Maybe one of your falcons or the quilty 6120?
I have always intended to put RBs in the quilt top 6120 despite it already having TVJ Classics but the reason for my post is to explore the possibility of using them in one of my Jets or Penguins. The doublecut WP was in line for T-Armonds in Filter mount, but I may re-think this option. Decisions, decisions .....

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
I have always intended to put RBs in the quilt top 6120 despite it already having TVJ Classics but the reason for my post is to explore the possibility of using them in one of my Jets or Penguins. The doublecut WP was in line for T-Armonds in Filter mount, but I may re-think this option. Decisions, decisions .....
Oh yeah RBs in a dc penguin would be cool.
I guess we will all have to wait and see what you decide, would be happy to know your thoughts when you get a set.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Would it be possible for Tv Jones to make a wax potted Set of Ray Butts?

there's no point in that honestly... Vintage Filtertrons were not wax potted and part of the sound of Ray Butts Filters are the unique construct of the bottom plate and the open quality of tone from the absence of the wax potting. You may as well get a set of light wax Classics at that point. FWIW the R.B. do resist microphany with up to medium gain overdrives and fuzzes at loud room levels but if you want to go to chug and doom territory w your amp or pedals, then you start doing the shimmy dance around the amp to stifle the inevitable :) Mind you this sez A LOT about the wind and built quality of Tom's pickups because my vintage deArmonds squeal like little beyotches w any medium gain drive pedals, yes my non wax T-armonds eat up that Marquesan overdrive w ease.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Yeah I just dropped a pair in my VS silver jet. They are as good as any vintage Filtertron I own. They have this loose tone unique to the old ones.
I didn’t even wait to try the TVjones that it came with.
was a super easy swap out with a standard soldering iron.
highly recommend

View attachment 181916

why do I have such jealousy of your sweeeeeet guitars!!! O lawd ohh lawd I confess I covet my neighbors sparkle jet and about 5 other gretsch guitars he has!! :)

guys, look at his #gretschmafia in that room

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
there's no point in that honestly... Vintage Filtertrons were not wax potted and part of the sound of Ray Butts Filters are the unique construct of the bottom plate and the open quality of tone from the absence of the wax potting. You may as well get a set of light wax Classics at that point. FWIW the R.B. do resist microphany with up to medium gain overdrives and fuzzes at loud room levels but if you want to go to chug and doom territory w your amp or pedals, then you start doing the shimmy dance around the amp to stifle the inevitable :) Mind you this sez A LOT about the wind and built quality of Tom's pickups because my vintage deArmonds squeal like little beyotches w any medium gain drive pedals, yes my non wax T-armonds eat up that Marquesan overdrive w ease.
I do occasionaly play some chugs and i already had hs filtertrons squeal like crazy until i put in wax myself.
So are you saying that if waxed they would almost Sound like a regular tv classic?

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
I do occasionaly play some chugs and i already had hs filtertrons squeal like crazy until i put in wax myself.
So are you saying that if waxed they would almost Sound like a regular tv classic?

I can only speculate about it but you can take the exact same platform of a tvjones filtertron classic, then change the bobbin wire to a different gauge and wind it heavier as well, you get a powertron+.. these do NOT sound like a Classic Filterton let alone an HS filter. They suddenly become big n snarky and can rage with the heaviest. I know I have one in the bridge of my american player tele, and the clean sound is WAY different than a Classic w low wax potting.

that said, the base plate on the Ray Butts has a unique vintage construct that affects its response. Tom makes the rooster'tron for my rooster guitars that
is the Ray Butts but because he changed the base plate to fit the DeArmond casing, it can no longer be called a Ray Butts because its the standard brass construct of a classic filtertron instead of the Ray Butts.

here's a look at the Ray Butts inside notice the steel baseplate supports that press into the threads of the pole screws. Also the shape of the left bobbin.

IMG_7806.jpeg

Here's a pic of the Jones Classic (no pole screw baseplate supports like the RB above) on the left ...and then the... sort of lamo stock gretsch hs filtertron on the right

Tvjones classic left_ gretsch hs filter right.jpg.png