Anyone still use a full-length strap?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by GVDobler, Nov 26, 2021.

1. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I have, not sure I like it. But one thing it will do for you is make the guitar hang with the nut closer to your body. The Center of Gravity shifts left putting fret 1 closer to you.

Duo Slinger and mrfixitmi like this.
  2. Gregor

Gregor Country Gent

I used one with a leather boot lace on my 6 and 12 string acoustics for years until about 15 years ago. Always felt they kind of got in the way though. Never used one on my electrics.

mrfixitmi and pmac11 like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Looks like the strap is mounted to either the tuner or the back of the head stock .......
    Screen Shot 2021-11-28 at 7.04.00 AM.png

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Synchromatic

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    If you look carefully, it seem to be fastened with a wrap around the headstock at the G and D tuners.

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

I have one guitar I still tie to the headstock, and I hate that. It's my 1935 National Duolian. I've mounted strap buttons near the heel to the others that didn't have them, including my Gretsch 9531, Guild F412 and Martin 000-28EC.

Need to find that other button (I use Fender Vintage Style), get my drill and do the National.

6. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I used them all the time until the string wore through, then I migrated to Schaller locks. My son's first Yamaha "Gig kit" came with the string for the neck, and it seemed to help balance the guitar for kids.
    I am not sure about the correlation to the nuns, but it seemed that the ones that played guitar were pretty cool. They would encourage music, and allowed us to play in school.
    As I recall, most nuns were mean to me because my older brother was a problem child. They wanted to establish the rules by slapping me around from the first day, the reality was we were polar opposites. The guitar nuns used to try to come to my aid, so I can't say that all were mean spirited.

thunder58 and new6659 like this.
  7. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Same for me and my D-18.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    1st grade---Sister Mary Talephelia. I can never forget. I still have scars.
    Sister Mary John on the other hand was a sweetheart.

mrfixitmi and thunder58 like this.
  9. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Technically yes, but I'm 5'3" and usually cut the strap way down. Does that count ?

10. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Steadying the guitar with my forearm makes my hand go numb or worse (pronator teres syndrome). I sometimes use a cord at the peghead if that’s what it takes to make a guitar balance well, but it’s not my preference.

11. Byron

Byron Country Gent

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Link Wray played that way in the early years. Even with a Gibson Firebird....some kinda nut!

Attached Files:

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  12. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    Doesn't work for me, the guitar feels off-balance.

13. Scamp

Scamp Gretschie

Feb 22, 2018
    SoCal
    When I started playing that was the only way to put a strap on an acoustic guitar. Classical guitars used one that hooked on the sound hole and wrapped under the guitar and around your neck. Lots of straps still come with a string to tie it on the headstock and some strap manufactures make leather adapter you put around the headstock and has a strap button on it.
    I prefer this way as it puts the weight of the guitar in a different position on my shoulder which is more comfortable for me, Also helps with head dive. I even prefer it on my electric guitar too. Don't like how the strap goes down my chest, it's a woman thing. LOL Works good on Ovation guitars.
    When I was taking lessons my instructor said you should always have a strap on your guitar even when your sitting down playing cause there will be the day when you're sitting down playing and reach for something and you knock something else over and reach to catch it and your guitar slips off your leg to the floor and usually will find something hard or pointed to land on. To this day when I sit and play I'll bring my left arm up out of the strap so it goes around my back or waist. Holds the guitar on my lap and if you play Ovations it really helps keep the guitar from slipping especially if it is an older one or a deep bowl
    Alan Jackson still use a headstock tie on his acoustic guitar

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    new6659 and mrfixitmi like this.
  14. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    My straps are 90 cm long. I hold my guitar on my right shoulder. old style, but that is how I am comfortable playing stand up.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  15. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    @Scamp personally, I don’t believe it is physically possible to play an Ovation with that round back. You, Glen Campbell, and many others must have made some kinda Crossroads deal to pull it off! :p

mrfixitmi likes this.
  16. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You can only play them with a strap, standing up. Otherwise they just slide off of your lap.

sgarnett likes this.
  17. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I tried it once . . . just once. It made the guitar feel very foreign to me, so it wasn't a change that was right for me.

18. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    LWR
    Coincidentally I also posted this pic on the Martin/Taylor/Philly Cheesesteaks thread, but as it shows the "long" strap on my 1973 Martin D-35, I am posting it here as well. The strap is a leather Martin strap, also 1973 vintage. And in keeping with the underlying current of the thread, my first grade teacher was Sister Ann Timothy. And per Wabash Slim's comment about the nuns being like your favorite aunt, actually my favorite aunt was a nun: Sister Paulita. Sadly Sister passed away last year, at 95 years of age. I'll never forget when she and my Mom were arguing about the best apples to use to bake an apple pie (they grew up on my grandfather's apple orchard). That was a hoot!

IMG_2379.JPG

wabash slim likes this.
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Not really anymore. Because I am short, skinny (less so now) and wear a guitar higher up, these straps are almost a straight line from the headstock to the butt.

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Boy howdy! I had an Ovation nylon string (Country Artist?) some years ago, and hated it, for that very reason. It was my first, and my last Ovation.

sgarnett likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.