Anyone seen the 335's?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Mr Swisher, Oct 15, 2020 at 4:58 PM.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    is the panther a full 2.5" w the center block? I remember them being heavy as heck, namm show. The new players edition double cut I posted above is very balanced, and I have bad bad lust for one right now in FSR white.

nickurso and GlenP like this.
  2. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Totally agree. My pro line is just faultless. I've also heard so many good things about Tokai, Edwards and some other made in Japan "Gibsons".

That might be my route should I not get the chance, or be able, to find a 335 that speaks to me.

3. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    That shape is growing on me. I will always love the classic 335 outline more, but I do like how the Gretsch version allows better upper fret access. The Ibanez Artcore AS design also allows better upper fret access. They don’t look quite as good as the 335 shape but there is a Japanese made Artstar Prestige AS200 that deserves a look. Good enough for Eric Krasno and John Scofield.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  4. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I always wanted a cherry ES345,thanks Freddie,but i ended up with a 2 tone burst Sheraton,wish i still had it.

Had a brown 335 Hondo copy too,that was nice geet also.

Mr Swisher and BCRatRod73 like this.
  5. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I’ve owned a 335 Studio and a 335 satin finish. Both great guitars. Sold them both. I still have my Sheraton. Upgraded nut, pots, caps, pickups. It’s a great guitar. Every time I pick it back up and play it again after some time away from it I remember why I’ve kept it. They are hard to beat for the money, and it’s a disservice to even say that for the negative connotations it can imply.

Telechamp, Mr Swisher and JC higgy like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Mine was a gift from my Dad,back in early 1987,it was a 1986 geet,with Epiphone by Gibson on the head.

BCRatRod73 and Mr Swisher like this.
  7. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Yea, there are lots of good alternatives, but there is just something special about what a ES-335 can do in capable hands, I am not worthy, nor wealthy enough, ... but here's a couple that come to mind:

audept, 1883 and Mr Swisher like this.
  8. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yep, I've got a 2017 335 Studio and it's a fantastic guitar.

[​IMG]

9. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    My Studio was from the last year they only came with 1V&T control. I measured the layout from my Sheraton, then drilled two new holes. Converted it to the “correct” control layout. I only owned the guitar for a short period of time before I drilled into her. It was worth the hassles and she looked great. I think I still have before and after pics. I’ll try to dig them up. If I can find them I will share.

Telechamp likes this.
  10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Sorry but it's just not the same. No doubt they are nice but they just don't sound like a good 335. The 335 is one of the most versatile guitars out there. The one guitar that Gibson has made every year since 1958.
    There's a reason players from all genre of music have played and made great records with them. Chuck Berry, BB King (355), Eric Clapton, Justin Hayward, Larry Carlton, me - ha ha ha! , etc., etc.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  11. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Can’t wait to see the pics!

12. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    BCRatRod73 and Mr Swisher like this.
  13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    ES335StudioStock.jpg 335StudioConversion.jpg

audept, capnhiho, Telechamp and 2 others like this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think it is debatable of Gibson is any better than Epiphone, though. I have seen some really crappily finished Gibson guitars over $2000 that I would not accept in a $200 guitar. One anecdote is not statistically significant but there you go.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  15. 1883

1883 Gretschie

Apr 12, 2015
    Aotearoa
    BCRatRod73 likes this.
  16. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Thanks. It was pretty. Simple wood top. No quilt, no flame. Just plain wood. I wished I still had that guitar but I sold it. I put StewMac's Parsons Street P.A.F. versions in it. It was nice.
    It had a baked maple fretboard and I actually liked it. I figured if it wasn't rosewood I wouldn't like it but I was wrong.
    I should have taken pictures of the surgery but I didn't.

Telechamp likes this.
  17. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I've owned two Gibson ES-335 guitars. Fine instruments for sure. Great craftsmanship, fretwork, binding, finish. And that smell when you open the case. Ahhhhhh. You name it, it was there. They even had that hard-to-define quality we all know about when we pay a certain amount for an instrument. It's not placebo effect, it's not confirmation bias. It's a certain something. All the elements combined together to become greater than the sum of their parts. Just holding those guitars gave me a feeling of something special. The author of Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance went crazy trying to define what exactly "quality" really was. I can't explain what quality is.
    Is a $2600 Gibson ES-335 4x the guitar a $699 Sheraton is? On paper, sure. Did I get 4x the pleasure playing the 335 versus the Sheraton? Nope.
    Put a $700 Sheraton in Robben Ford's hands and it will sound like a chorus of angels. Put a $2600 Gibson ES-335 in my hands and not so much.
    In the import factories there is a lot of CNC machinery doing the work. Same for the American factories. There is still a lot of handwork in both places. The import factories build to a price point. If the guitar is well made it can be a great platform for mods. Upgrade the nut, and the pots/caps/pickups then it becomes harder to justify the high price tag of the Gibson.

My ES-335 Satin finish was my dream guitar. It was a case of don't meet your heroes. I attained a goal but it then became, "Now what?"
    I paid $2600 for that guitar, and something just didn't feel right. I realized I'm happier in the land of guitars below the $1,000 mark, and modifying how I want them. Maybe that's what was missing with the satin finish 335.
    I still want a made in Japan Gretsch in the 6xxx series though. Japanese craftsmanship is par excellence. Maybe keeping it close to the $2k mark would be the answer for me when I try to justify why I would have a guitar that expensive when I'm not a pro.

18. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Not sure if anyone answered you. If not, they are essentially the same thickness as an ES Series. Believe 1-3/4”. Glad to measure mine for you to make sure

audept and Mr Swisher like this.
  19. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I have an ES355, 1978. It is the best guitar I have ever played. And that said, my Panther has taken a lot of stage time away from it since it was purchased back in about 2013.

audept, BCRatRod73 and Mr Swisher like this.
  20. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I never measured it

audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.