Anyone seen the 335's?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Mr Swisher, Oct 15, 2020.

1. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    If you can afford it, you're not being silly - but that's a million miles removed from the cost/value consideration. If I could afford to drive a RR or whatever constitutes your dream car, then I'm sure I'd feel good about driving it. It's still armchairs on wheels and probably doesn't get me there any sooner but as you said it's about the way you feel and no-one can gainsay you for that. Good luck on the search. FWIW PMT locally suggested that post-Covid (whenever that happens) there'd be a dearth of instruments

2. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Hmm that's a good point. Question is... When will that be. I got my Powerjet at PMT in Brum, really good guys in there.

3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Good luck in your quest. I too would love to have a cherry ES-335. Closest I got is my cherry ES-330TDC bought new in 1966.

4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Thank you. That's the thing with GAS. The thrill of the chase is just as enjoyable as the final purchase!

5. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Not silly at all, the entire resale market would agree with you on that point.

But, hey, they were good enough for Roy Clark!
    [​IMG]

Gretschtim1, Mr Swisher and SAguitar like this.
  6. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I had a satin finish ES-335. Great guitar. It was my dream guitar. Sold it when I needed the money. When I have the money again for a nice 335 I’d rather spend it on a nice made in Japan Gretsch in the 6xxx series...and console myself with my Sheraton. It has the nice rounded shape I love so much.
    But, it is hard to beat a nice ES-335 . Best guitar tone I ever heard was Robben Ford playing his 335 through his Dumble. Tone of the gods.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Mr Swisher likes this.
  7. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    That Heritage headstock though. I know they’re fine players and very well made, but I just can’t get along with that headstock.
    You could always go the Tokai/Greco/Burny/Orville by Gibson route. Orville by Gibson would be the closest really, and it would have Gibson on the headstock.

Winnie Thomas and Mr Swisher like this.
  8. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    In my formative years I fell in love with the style and tones of Mr. 335, Larry Carlton. It was inevitable that one day I would have to have one. Mine is blonde, and subtly quilted, not like his typical Sunburst but I love it dearly. And for the same reason, I own a Gibson B.B. King Lucille guitar, and that one has a pickguard that got signed for me by the king of the blues.

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah he is such a great musician, singer, guitarist, song writer.
    I've seen him many times with and without the Moodies - great.
    I always got pissed when Guitar Player magazine would keep doing cover articles on the same players - over and over and never giving Justin a cover story. He's such a great guitar player both electric and acoustic.
    Most of the magazine editors are tasteless hacks anyway.

Mr Swisher and GlenP like this.
  10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    My 1975 ES 335 is my favorite guitar. My suggestion would be select the guitar that plays and sounds the best no matter what color it is. To me my 335 is perfect and was not the color I would have chosen IMG_0507.JPG if I'd had a choice but now I love the color.
    Just make sure you play a few before you finally buy one. I've played a lot of 335 guitars since I bought mine and some I liked and a lot of them were terrible.
    When you find a good one you will know it right away. Most people that do find a good one like me never lets it go...:D.
    My brother has a nice Epiphone 335 - it's nice but when you play my Gibson 335 after playing the Epiphone you can feel the difference right away.
    Kind of the same thing when I got my Gretsch Gent after I'd been playing my 5420 for a few years. It was such a difference that I sold the 5420 a few months later.
    I knew I'd never play it again.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    JeffreyLeePierre and GlenP like this.
  11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Roy was such a talent! You couldn't watch him without getting a smile on your face. Most of my guitar heroes are really old or gone so now it's up to us to keep their memory alive!

GlenP and Mr Swisher like this.
  12. afire

afire Country Gent

I've heard that theory. When people are no longer bored enough to be trying to take up guitar and abandon it, the guitar boom comes to an end and loads of secondhand guitars flood the market. I guess it makes sense. But how many beginners are plunking down $3000 or more for something like a 335 on a whim to cope with boredom? If there has been any kind of boom in high end guitars (and maybe there has), I would suspect the buyers are likely experienced players indulging their desires in a time when a shiny new distraction is more than welcome. If the glut of used guitars does materialize, my guess is that they will be a lot of Epis and Squiers.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  13. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Totally agree. This is not the kind of purchase to be made without a number of hands-on experiences.

14. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I hear that. I myself have had the opportunity to indulge in guitar buying purely because the Covid situation has curbed my ability to spend my money in the usual monthly fashion.

It's the only good thing to come out of this mess.

15. lbrous2

lbrous2 Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    Florida
    I'm sure many vintage collections will open up for sale in the coming years as us Boomers pass either from Covid or time. I'm already seeing it start on LiveAuction. Lots of 60's Gibby's, Dano's, and Gretsches

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    My 1st guitar, bought 2nd hand in the end of 1980 : a Gibson ES-335 TD from 1980, with matching Gibson case. I paid for her 5500 Francs of the era (=839 Euros of today)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not play it too much now, but I wouldn't part with her, for sure !

A+!

17. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    Maybe too far to travel but Reidys in Lancashire have in stock a cherry red 1963 reissue block marker ES-335. Interestingly it is fitted with Gibson T-Type pickups (T-top repros). I like their MHS 1 pickups so wonder how these new ones suit the guitar?

I have a 1982 Shaw era ES-335 blonde that is a lovely guitar and fits in very well with my Gretsch and Teles.

18. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Thanks Jim. No UK distance to far. I'll check them out!

Block markers is the preference and It would be nice to fit one in my collection also.

19. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Get a panther. I know they are discontinued but as a long time 335 player I can tell you this is a better guitar 7502CB01-23DE-4B09-8B81-81BBE536AD35.jpeg C0DA4597-0AFF-41B4-9D48-0BDF1894DF19.jpeg BC87ED88-D9F7-4F7E-8279-B7DEE48D30DF.jpeg E06C1F42-3DBA-4D39-86D8-76C1243FC791.jpeg

audept, new6659, Chmason85 and 3 others like this.
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I own two gibbys a 56' es150 and an 05 J100xtra, but I feel like my japan gaki built Tokai Goldtop LP and the ES135 Tokai are finer examples of modern gibson than modern gibson as the tokais are built they way they were during the glory days. dont discount them for a second, as we know the quality terada has w the pro line gretsch.
    93B9271B-3DE3-400A-9332-1F2276398F82.jpeg 82BF09E2-A8BC-4F01-A959-AA4B518F9828_1_201_a.jpeg

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.