Anyone seen the 335's?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Mr Swisher, Oct 15, 2020 at 4:58 PM.

1. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    So the gas thread proved timely.

Out of the blue I have had a long forgotten policy mature a week or so ago and decided I might "waste" this money on a completely not needed, but long-craved for 335. Obviously this should be a lifetime keeper, and in accordance with my wifes "no MORE guitars" policy, a guitar will be sacrificed. My 5120 in this case. Yes this will be an almost entirely cash purchase. But the wifes rules must be kept.

I've scoured the UK interwebs for any shop that has one in stock... In cherry. I can't find any shop that has one in stock in any colour?!?!?

Whats going on here? Are their a plethera of new guitarists splashing out the big money on their new hobby? Or is this just a slow down of production due to the current global situation??

I need 335s to go and try out before the money gets spent on something sensible. Like new windows. :D

Xochi2 likes this.
  2. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I saw only one ES-335S in the early 80s in a local shop - it looked exactly like this one below :

[​IMG]

AFAIR, it was a pretty heavy instrument (it's a solid body).

It had the look and the tone for the Punk/New-Wave music craze :cool: of the era, but I do not think that this model met much success at that time - at least here in France. o_O

A+!

3. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I think my title may have been confusing. I meant a 335, but that 335S is an interesting guitar for sure!!

Im looking for something a little more.. s-l400.png

This blueberry burst is growing on me.

Zeek, Jeff67, Telechamp and 2 others like this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

Stick to your original plan. You can't beat cherry on a 335, and it will never look dated.

Berington, dougmon, Zeek and 4 others like this.
  5. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    I have one ES-335, but it is an amazing guitar. Every time I play it I wonder why I don't play it more. There is something about the thick, singing nature of the notes that captures me.
    Often, the search becomes a quest at some point, but if you keep on in earnest you will find the one that should be yours! Good luck.

Berington, BCRatRod73 and Mr Swisher like this.
  6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I agree. It's always been about the Cherry. To change now would be foolish.

Berington and new6659 like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A Cherry 335 is as nice as an orange Gretsch.

8. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I agree, if you go with a 335, go cherry. Not black, sorry BB. Chuck Berry cherry is more my GAS. I never got one...ended up getting a Epi Sheraton II in what is referred to as a wineburst. The price was $250 American, so it was too good to pass up. Shoulda held out for the 335...

Berington, Duo Slinger and Mr Swisher like this.
  9. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    It's the law of diminishing returns. I've played a friends Epi Dot 335. It's a good guitar - priced at a steal. Tremendous value.

Is the Gibson version worth 10 times the price in the UK. Probably not - in terms anyone else but a guitar player would define.

We want what we want eh..:)

10. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    How far are you from Anderton's ? I have no ties to them, but their videos make it seem as though they have gobs of everything.

11. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    I'm fortunate to own a 72 Gibson ES335 PRO (sunburst) which of course I cherish BUT six months ago I bought my grandson who I'm teaching, an Epiphone ES339 and I have to be honest and say is so good. Frankly most of the difference in price/value is down to the name inscribed on the headstock. Sorry my 2p.

GHook, Henry, Chmason85 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I'm a 90 minute drive away. So that was one of the first places I looked. They have 1 reissue at £4500 in stock. Which is £1500 more than I'm willing to pay.

I'm checking their site daily :)

13. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I can absolutely believe that from my Gretsch experiences. Is my Proline Gretsch 5 times better than my Electromatic. I'd say not. The Electro' is great. But, the Proline is just that bit better, in every way. Which culminates with the way it makes me feel when I play it.

Berington likes this.
  14. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Maybe you could borrow one from Justin Hayward? Why he does not have a signature guitar is beyond me. But Dave Grohl stole one from Trini Lopez, how does that make sense? In any case, that Cherry Es355 is his signature guitar.

[​IMG]

have you ever seen a 535 from The Heritage?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ed-edition-electric-guitar-vintage-wine-burst

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 2:17 AM
  15. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    when you have this spruce center block players addition double cut, there's no need for the 335
    [​IMG]

Johnny ray, dougmon, Jeff67 and 7 others like this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Have you checked Reverb for UK sellers, or Gumtree?

17. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    The flame top on that is incredible!

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  18. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Yes reverb have a few in the UK but the used price is hanging right around the bottom of the new price. If it's a lifer, and I want it to be. It's almost no stretch to buy new.

Ricochet likes this.
  19. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    The heritage does look great but I think I'd always be saying "It's not a Gibson 335".

I'm silly I know.

Berington and GlenP like this.
  20. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I knew we were related somehow :p

GHook and Mr Swisher like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.