Anyone looking for a vintage White Penguin Cadillac tailpiece?....could buy this.

ForTheLoveOfIvy

Gretschie
Feb 28, 2022
London
Strange fish. This old Gretsch appears to have an original White Penguin tailpiece on it.

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
That is strange. I wonder what the story is behind that? Could it possibly be a new repo?

That guitar looks older than ‘56. It looks to not have a first fret marker.

Last edited:

6187LX

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Up Around the Bend
IIRC there should be three screws on the back of a vintage Falcon/Penguin tailpiece. It sure looks like a vintage t/p, definitely not factory. I had a blonde 53/4 Electro that looked very much like this guitar but with the Gretsch engraved headstock. I bet this is from somewhere 51/2, just as Gretsch went with the larger f-holes. I miss having the old catalogs at my fingertips.

ForTheLoveOfIvy

Gretschie
Feb 28, 2022
London
That is strange. I wonder what the story is behind that? Could it possibly be a new repo?

That guitar looks older than ‘56. It looks to not have a first fret marker.
Pretty sure that as well as the patina, the dimensions of the tailpiece look like it’s an original to me…it has that chunkier Cadillac V bit and narrower spaced side bars.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
One quick question... is that fixed bridge stock? I hardly believe that in '56 they had something different from a floating wooden bridge with base....
I'll be on tour with a band in the UK end of next month. It may worth to give it a close look...

Pemberton

Gretschie
May 4, 2022
Pennsylvania, USA
Just wondering, but how much is an original Penguin Cadillac tailpiece worth? And how many people would be interested in one considering how few original Penguins were made?

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
I'm curious how they mount that bridge - is there enough meat underneath to hold it or would they have added a block?

Latest posts