Anyone know this brand?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by nickurso, Apr 13, 2021.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    My bass player is looking at this guitar but I can’t identify the brand. Can anyone help

A7DF6754-794B-40A3-AAF9-796B8BF3A232.png EE9F55CF-3156-4177-9C11-311F4062C69B.png 7E30B9C3-4B30-4B36-B07C-2DA642701011.png

Attached Files:

Back in Black likes this.
  2. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

No idea but it is very pretty.

nickurso likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Possibly , just maybe a mid 1970's .....Giannini

nickurso likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    No label in the sound hole?
    Nice looking guitar, tho.

nickurso likes this.
  5. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hi Nick,

Just went through my Illustrated Guitar Dictionary from cover to cover.

Sorry, I got nothing.

The Treble Clef head stock logo, in one shape or another has been used by many over the years.

Lacking any SN's/cavity labels or anything else, suggests it may be a custom built.

Suggest an inspection of the cavity with a good flash light and an inspection mirror.

Some Luthiers left signatures/dates.

Best,

BIB.

Henry and nickurso like this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    this guitar is in marketplace and these are the pictures. It’s a two hour drive just to see it in person. I’ll have the bass player ask for pictures of a label in the sound hole

thunder58 likes this.
  7. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @nickurso , @Back in Black ... here's my theory why I think it's a Giannini .....

1976 my father brought me to Bronans Music on Webster Ave in The Bronx . I bought ( and had my heart set on ) a Yamaha FG-160 and still have it today . being none in stock , the owner had to order one . But he wanted me to try a guitar that looked identical to the picture above . I never forgot that sharp edge .... but the sound was incredible

nickurso and Back in Black like this.
  8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

@thunder58 - I have two old Gianninis and both have a the name on the headstock. One is fantastic, the other less so. They both are made from beautiful woods, though.

thunder58 and nickurso like this.
  9. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Yes , that headstock in the photo did throw me off though

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Honestly I’ve never heard of a Giannini guitar. And here you are with two! What market tier were they aiming for?

11. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    I would not pull the trigger until I played it. Yeah, 2 hour shlep is an issue, but if you do want it without being disappointed (or worse - ripped off) I wouldn't go for it until I played it and had a serious look at it.

nickurso likes this.
  12. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    He wants it to sell it so not sure if it’s worth the drive even if it plays great

13. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Giannini guitars are made in Brazil and the company has been around a long time. They usually have beautiful tone woods and some unusual body shapes (like the "Craviola"). I have only seen two in Canada and I ended up buying them both - an old one probably about 50 years old (fantastic tone and woods) and one I bought new around 2000 in Toronto (not quite fantastic) - both are Craviolas. Workmanship varies on them and they seem to use a lot of handwork. Both were quite modestly priced but that probably reflects currency exchanges between the two countries. Jimmy Page apparently had two Craviolas; a 6 and a 12 string.

I think they are supposed to be quite common in Brazil. Maybe some one from there can share some more information about them. It's surprising we don't see more instruments originating from South America.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    thunder58 and Ricochet like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.