Anyone have experience with Godin guitars ?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by nickurso, Mar 17, 2021.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Looking at one of these and I’m interested if anyone owns or has played/researched them?
    E5854868-A929-41F3-908C-6D0FABCDA4AC.png

ZackyDog and T-Bawler like this.
  2. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I had the kingpin II for a while it was awesome. Just stopped playing it when I got into Gretsch but it was well worth the money. I think i paid 500 for it. I will say also I ended up with the Grote version. With a few tweaks it’s pretty close to as good

nickurso likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Thanks

4. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Are you wanting a hollow body to play on the street? You know that ain't gonna touch your Gretsch's right?

nickurso likes this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Just looking for a another hollow body. My street rig is good with the little gretsch. This would be mostly for me. Even recording I have the 6120SSUGR so that’s covered I’ve just been thinking about another hollow body and have also looked at these

64A5B7C7-BB3B-4468-B272-DAD05B904C11.png

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I looked at a bunch but they all have cracks and scratches and other issues that I’m not interested in dealing with. Plus a new guitar can go back if I don’t like the feel of it. I know with the gretsch I’m safe as far as all that goes but I’d probably dump a bunch of money on upgrades. So I’m not sure. I’m also gonna make an impulse buy

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  7. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool, I've never heard complaints about Godins, never heard people rave about them either so my guess is they're pretty good, kinda like a Yamaha if you know what i mean.

nickurso and Ricochet like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    The 5420 is much loved around this place. The Sweetwater version in vintage Orange is great looking.

My 5420 has been wonderful; well, other than I can’t stop myself from spending money modifying it when it doesn’t need anything.:oops:

nickurso likes this.
  9. Tegzsa

Tegzsa Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Berlin
    I have one of these to go with my 5420. It's an Ibanez. It's not the same, and sounds totally different which makes it good - I use it for swampy blues. Godin have a good name, as far as I've heard.
    D7K_4541.JPG .

MotorCentaur, nickurso and new6659 like this.
  10. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Played a couple. Liked them. Don’t own one only because I haven’t had the opportunity to buy one. Would seriously consider it Unser the right circumstances

nickurso likes this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    FWIW, I've played quite a few Godin guitars, different models and never found a bad one.

nickurso likes this.
  12. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I've got the same guitar but in the blonde finish, a few years older. Nice flat easy to play fretboard (16" radius!), cherry construction with a mellow tone, great sounding P-90. Solid craftsmanship.

You won't ever, ever confuse it with a Gretsch. Kingpin don't do twang. But it's a great blues machine, especially in open tunings. Vintage tone, modern playability.

I like it just fine.

Kingpin02web.jpg

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
  13. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Electromatic

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I don't have a bad word to say about Godin. Had a number of them over the years - all solid body - all have been great. One was my main gigging guitar for years (LGX-SA). Well made, reasonably priced professional quality instruments.

nickurso likes this.
  14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Godin builds great guitars. I’ve owned several of their Thinline electro acoustics(of which they do as good or better than anyone else in the market imo)and have always been happy with the high build quality and great feel. Currently one of my stage acoustics is a Godin a6.

nickurso and jfassett like this.
  15. Only owned the baritone acoustic electric. Well made. I played two king pins. One when they first came out, and it had a really bad set up in store, and the clerk was not willing to let me lower or reposition the bridge. Years later a guy had one at the local shop for a jam. Single pickup. It was light, and played well. Acoustically it was like a cheaper acoustic archtop, you can hear it , but it wasn’t something to record with. But it played well and was a looker. I did not get a chance to plug it in.

Food for thought, single pickup archtop, guild A150 savoy. Mine has a solid top, so it sounds no better or worse unplugged than the godin, but the Dearmond pickup is sweet. The blond runs around 7 to 800 used. I dont see any white ones used, and they have the 1100 dearmond.

If you dont mind a little weight, i still think the G5034tft is a cool neck pickup guitar, will catch someone’s eye. I added a peizo bridge so i can get a acoustic sound plugged in as well.

I know those are not godin like, but thought I would add to someone’s gas.

Attached Files:

nickurso likes this.
  16. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    Well made guitars, I used to play their thin body nylon string electric. Very comfortable and expressive but I ended up not using it as much as I thought I would and sold it.
    I have played the Kingpin and it is a terrific guitar, very well made and solid. It is a little light in the volume department when played acoustically, it doesn't have the punch of my Gretsch New Yorker. Plugged in, the Kingpin has lovely jazzy tone, just doesn't cut it acoustically but is a very nice guitar and excellent quality.

nickurso likes this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    A while ago when I was looking for an archtop to play slide with, I went to try a 5th Avenue on a friend's music shop. I remember it very resonant, with a nice light V neck and a very good P90. Great playability, although the action was too low for my taste and the strings too light.
    Then after a week a guy offered me to pay me back for a record production with a The Loar 310LH that he wasn't using anymore, so I went with that and let the 5th Avenue go.

nickurso likes this.
  18. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    How do the necks feel compared to a gretsch? I have small arthritic hands so that’s a concern for me

19. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    How was the neck. That’s the thing I’m really concerned with

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.