Anyone Going or Ever Gone to the Dallas Guitar Show?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by amp360, Apr 13, 2021.

1. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I've decided to take a trip to the Dallas show this year. I'm looking for a nice ES-345 and haven't been able to find one to try locally. Has anyone ever been to this show or is anyone going? From past photos it seems like there are a lot of instruments there.

Any tips on places to eat or good guitar shops to check out down there?

Thanks!

thunder58 likes this.
  2. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Is it even happening this year? I live in the DFW area, when I’m not working in PHX. Went to the show back in 2018? I don’t remember but there was some nice vintage stuff, of which I only tried out vintage Jets. I bought some body blanks and that was about it.

The same year I was taken to a guitar show in Waxahachie. Not bad, but I wish I jumped on the black Kay thin twin, ugh.

4. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    yes, it is happening. Like I said, I’m going and a friend of mine is helping her brother out because his store is a vendor. I’m looking for a really nice ES-345 or maybe the right 355.

BorderRadio likes this.
  5. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I didn't know they had a guitar show in Waxahachie. Gonna have to look into that!

BorderRadio likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Got a sister in N. Richland Hills

BorderRadio likes this.
  7. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I used to go with my Dad back in the 80s, but I haven't been back since. I wanted to go for the last 5 years or so, but work always got in the way (until last year when it was canceled for obvious reasons).

I got my very first guitar there back in 86, in fact. Looks like it's at the Market hall this year, so there's some good local type food in that area but limited. Not far from there is the original Ojeda's which is some of the best tex-mex food on earth. If you go, get the "double fried refried black beans". just ask em when you order and they fry em a second time in bacon fat and they will make you cry. their enchiladas are their thing, but the puffed tacos are my favorite. The chimichanga is the size of a small car and the shredded chicken version is amazing. a few blocks from there is Maple and Motor which will make you the best cheeseburger you'll ever eat. If you're a fan of bologna they have a "flat hot dog" fried bologna sandwich that will change your religion. There's a TON more, but I used to go to those 2 places every week when I worked uptown for about 15 years. Yes, they're that good. If you have a car I can name about 100 places you should look into though. these 2 are just a short uber ride away though.

The show was the hilight of the year back when i was a kid and hair bands roamed the earth, so I have no reason to think it hasn't grown and gotten better.

amp360 likes this.
  8. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    oh, and for guitar shops, there's a few cool ones.

Killer vintage guitar. they have KILLER vintage guitars. They went appointment only over the lockdown but I dont know if that's still the case.
    https://www.killervintagespecialtyguitars.com

Tone shop for new stuff. they have Gretsch and other high end marques
    https://www.toneshopguitars.com

Charleys Guitars was THE place to be when I was a kid. I met Stevie Ray Vaughan there. he was just there talkin shop. it was THAT cool back then. Havent been in a decade or so, so I dont know how it is anymore.
    http://www.charleysguitar.com

If you venture WAY north, The Guitar Sanctuary has some crazy inventory.
    https://www.theguitarsanctuary.com

9. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for all the links. One of those stores is appointment only and the other doesn't sell Gibson so I won't be going to either as I'm looking for a decent deal on a 60s 545 or 355.

Looks like it will be a good time!

10. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Texas
    See you there!

amp360 likes this.
  11. slaminsam

slaminsam Electromatic

Apr 11, 2021
    Texas
    amp360 likes this.
  12. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Thanks for all the info!!!

13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    A 345 is one of the guitars I wish I had. Good luck in your search

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.