Anyone ever have luck getting the girl next door?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by JCW513, Feb 23, 2021.

1. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    My love life has been lifeless for a while now. There's a girl right around the corner from me, i think shes about my age, late twenties.. I've had a thing for her, she moved here about 2 years ago. I've seen on her on a couple dating sites, so I know she's single but match you gotta pay for. I'd rather talk to her in person.

I'm pretty sure she's the granddaughter of the old man that used to live there. So i've thought about asking her if she is Mr. XXXX granddaughter and just make some light conversation and see where it goes. Just wondering if anyone's ever had any luck doing something that this...

2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    The answer is always no if you don't ask.

3. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Haha nope. I don't have a love life...

4. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    All I’m sayin is in my experience it’s better to get to know a girl before letting her know where you live.

5. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    :eek: Yeah, be careful what you wish for!
    My first kiss was the girl next door. SHE was the aggressor! Girls age faster than boys!

Les Pedals and Andrew Griffin like this.
  6. Mercury

Mercury Electromatic

Feb 20, 2021
    Sydney, Australia
    I married the "girl next door". It's now 20 years and three kids later.

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Oh, and by the way, you gotta ask or forget she exists. If you go on this way (after 2 years already), it may come off as a little stalkey.

pmac11 and Sabato like this.
  8. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I think you should carry your guitar around the corner on different days on the off chance of seeing her. Just say hello the first time. The next time you see her, say hello and ask how she is doing. See how she responds. Then ask about the Grandfather, if he is still alive. If he passed mentionm him in good terms and keep it light. Wait for the next meeting to aske her for coffe or something public and does not take a lot of time. You sound pretty together, so don't give her any "I need you to make me happy" looks. Make her feel like you will add to her life. My advice is based on the many, many mistakes I have made!!

9. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Nope, never had any Luck when it comes to that

10. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    If she's not keen on the Gretsch guitar, say good-bye (someone had to say it!).

Give it a go- talk is cheap and you can walk away. A 'selling point' could be that you DON'T use a web dating thing to meet her. You can just go up and say "here's your newsapaper. Do you read the comics??"
    Easy peasy.

"Why don't ya just kiss her? Aww...youth is wasted on the wrong people!" - the neighbor reading his paper, from It's A Wonderful Life.

Does she even like music? Is it all rap-crap, or some stuff similar to your interests? These aren't crucial and diversity and "opposites attract" do matter, but it can matter in the wrong way too.

11. Nubs

Nubs Electromatic

Sep 10, 2019
    Houston, TX
    I'm 45 and alone. Never been married, no kids that I know of. In some respects, it's great but in others, it is not.

I have been making a genuine effort in the past year to find a special little lady. I know it's tougher to do so in the middle of a pandemic, but it still does happen. I've been through a LOT of ghosting, boring women, teasing, and even the ever-so-rare late night hookup (just once and never since). It's really tough out there, and even tougher when you're older and ugly.

I think back on the opportunities I had missed and wonder what could have been. But I think the main point is that I don't want to look back on missed opportunities anymore. I used to be so afraid of rejection that I wouldn't even try. That's called a loser folks...don't do that. I'm learning to get past the fear and the awkwardness and growing a sack and getting out there.

Remember this:

- EVERYONE LOSES
    - EVERYONE GETS REJECTED
    - EVERYONE GETS DUMPED

Once you realize that, it's not so bad. Good luck!!

12. JCW513

JCW513 Gretschie

Sep 21, 2017
    Boston
    I must be naive, how can anyone NOT like a Gretsch! Maybe ill show up with my Gretsch, Pignose on my belt and a 200ft power cable for my Mystery Brain and play Sleepwalk.....That will be the true test.

She lives probably 5 or 6 houses down but its on the corner. I see her outside probably once or twice a week. I'm just going to bite the bullet and talk to her soon.

Henry and MotorCentaur like this.
  13. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    When "next door" was the apartment across the hallway, yeah. Like you, mid-twenties. Lasted about 3 months. I don't think either one of us was that serious about it at the time, but it sure was convenient.

Jena and MotorCentaur like this.
  14. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    You better act soon- springtime is the time for new love, and Spring is officially March 20.

Jena and MrWookiee like this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It was a long time go, but, yeah! First kiss, too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  16. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Does she still live next door? You should consider having her move in.

17. jump

jump Electromatic

Feb 21, 2021
    Texas
    Get a rescue dog & go for (a lotta) walks

Freshy, T-Bawler, capnhiho and 2 others like this.
  18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    To that I would add, always make sure you're gonna stay awhile before you start unpacking your baggage.

19. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, but she turned out to be the booby prize....

T-Bawler likes this.
  20. I thought it was as simple as asking fender or gretsch

Jena likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.