Anyone else suffering from GAS at the moment??

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Oct 7, 2020.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I guess I was in denial, telling myself that I am really happy with my gear. But, when I look back over the past nine months, I realize that I’ve bought a new Atomic Brain, a DC Fluid Drive, an El Pescadoro, a Digitech EQ pedal, a used Strymon Flint, and a used Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II.

Perhaps my problem runs deeper than I first thought........

2. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    @rockymtnguitar - Tweaker 15 is a great choice; especially the head version. It’s fun to switch speakers/cabs!

3. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Electromatic

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    Yeah, I've been seriously contemplating a 1x12 cab for home use so that I can get various heads to swap around. It seems like a more space-efficient and cost-effective way to experiment.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I have an interrupter jack installed in my Winfield Tremor, so that I can switch off the amp and use the cabinet as an extension cab, or for a head. Just be sure that the amp is off.

5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hmm I’ll just go ahead and warn you now, it’s a trap! I thought the same thing now amp heads combos and speakers all over the place! It sucks you in! Get ready for heads and cabs and speakers to populate your house everywhere!

rockymtnguitar and capnhiho like this.
  6. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Used market prices are actually giving me sellers GAS if that’s a thing. I’ve got a Gibson Memphis ES-355 that spends a lot of time in its case, and I’m actually fighting the urge to put it up for sale. I’d maybe pick up a new Reverend Gristlemaster P90 next year and pocket the rest.

G5422T likes this.
  7. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've noticed that the used market on many models is pretty stout. Seems crazy, but it gets me thinking too.

I've only had one of my Gretsches out in the last two weeks. Just keep reaching for my Partscaster.

Hmm, go figure.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

There's a terrific used G5120 on sale for a nice € 730 in a Paris shop:
    https://www.guitares-webstore.com/l...azz-demi-caisse-gretsch-g5120-orange/34872303

But it's from same Samick factory as my G3140 and I wonder if it's gonna be that different.
    Plus you can have a brand new orange G5420 for € 815 in another Paris shop.
    https://www.woodbrass.com/guitares-...lFNKFMBQr3NasAkUEcRNDjhcCMtl5wuRoCwooQAvD_BwE
    (A Fairlane blue is € 799 there but my first hollow body Gretsch is to be orange)

And September/October is a very bad month for the purse here, lots of local + central taxes being due in the period...

Anyway: the gas for a hollow body Gretsch is still there and will make me do something stooopid one day or another...

9. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    Problem? What problem?

:D

10. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    My GAS (in no particular order)

Grez Folsom
    Swope Biscayne
    BilT ESG
    Gibson Country Gent
    Gretsch CGP

Now the hard part is that I've been on a major sell-off lately so I could probably manage to get two of these, BUT WHICH TWO?!!!?!?!?

Pictures, because OF COURSE pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JC higgy likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
  12. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Unfortunately it is.
    Unless you are ready to travel and pick up one directly to a fellow in the countryside but then the travel cost makes the difference. Plus possibly set up (whereas that shop says it's been done).

13. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    GAS - Quite often I teeter on the edge of the abyss peering in to the vastness pondering what will hit next. We have all had those moments where we were absolutely certain that we are content. No more gear is required, wanted or desired. But somehow it happens. A YouTube snippet, a picture on the Web, a posting on a guitar forum, a random note from a song we haven't heard in many years. The next thing we know we are in search mode. Like an addict looking for their next hit. The search grows with intensity and we grit our teeth in determination. Google is our enabler.We may reach out to family members or friends to help regain our sanity and sobriety. Some foolish individuals seek guidance from guitar related forums but that is like walking through the doors of an opium den looking for the key to your abstinence.

We justify our decision and rationalize our choices and the next thing we know the brown truck is parked out in front of our house and a stranger in brown shirt and matching brown shorts is lugging a large box up to our front door. IT happens!

At present I am still recovering from a bout of Streamliner GAS and subsequent acquisition. But I am color induced so amber, orange or even purple guitars set me off. I have to be strong and avert any glances while my credit card is within reach.

I guess my answer for now is no GAS at the moment.

RatRod Gentleman and new6659 like this.
  14. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Checks pulse...

...answers yes.

I have to keep a running graphic document to keep up with the contemplation part.

DC0B76E3-9F8A-426D-AA78-93645E648958.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  15. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My GAS has progressed to NBS (Next Build Syndrome).
    Acquiring the parts, assembling and setting up my tele was more rewarding than any guitar purchase I've ever made prior. I'm already ruminating about the next one.
    20200925_204548.jpg

Mr Swisher likes this.
  16. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I have a few guitars on my long-term want list:

Gretsch G6120DSW (maybe in 10 years!)
    Some kind of blackguard butterscotch Tele
    A white Jazzmaster with mint pickguard

But seeing as how I spent a ton of money this year on a new Gretsch, with various upgrades, plus a Tonemaster Deluxe Reverb, plus several new pedals, I'm thinking it will be a while before I get any of that!

17. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That is an accurate description of the process. It’s a problem because of just what you say; one can be triggered by a picture, a video clip, a post on a forum.

My last serious bout came at a time when I was filling a hole in my life. It was, to be honest, a pointless waste. I bought a guitar this spring and buyer’s remorse kicked in almost instantly. I liked the product, but by four days in, it struck me in the face that this purchase was not only unnecessary, but in many ways, it was counter productive.

One key to understanding GAS goes back to an adage of advertising; tell a story and if people like the story, they will buy the product. That says a mouthful, and then some.

upload_2020-10-13_6-44-53.jpeg

This ad is the perfect example. People wanted to be somewhere west of Laramie; they wanted to be someplace where things like this happen and among those people, there were a handful that had the wherewithal to purchase a Jordan. It was pure genius, and absolute nonsense, all at the same time. Introduce a concept, then offer the “vehicle” to bring you to the location of that concept. In this case, the “vehicle” is an actual vehicle.

Now, I have personally been somewhere west of Laramie, and I never saw anything like this. But somewhere west of Laramie, there is a perfect example of how this works. Wyoming is a place of wide open spaces, and little else. But there is also Little America, which is advertised like nothing you’ve ever seen. Signs with penguins on them which keep you in anticipation of ... a gas station/motel. But as a 10 year old kid, who had gotten an eyeful of wide open spaces, a sign with penguins on it was irresistible, to the imagination.

Imagination is the key to understanding GAS and the motivations to buying things we don’t need, and might not even want. Advertising appeals to the imagination and seeks to link a desired situation to the purchase of an item. That is why pretty girls are used to sell auto parts. That is why penguins are used to get people to stop at a gas station/motel in the middle of nowhere, why model car kits have exciting drawings on drag-racing on the cover and why pickup truck brochures frequently have at least on picture depicting that particular brand of truck parked at an incredibly orderly construction site with a male model casually sauntering off towards a job site where things go well.

Imagination is, in my opinion, the key to GAS. I’ll skip ahead to the last chapter (so to speak) and give you the answer, then explain why that is the answer. If you want to cure GAS, find someone with whom to play music, and start playing on a regular basis. That is the cure for GAS.

So, a 10 year old riding in the backseat of a 1958 Chevy Brookwood wagon and enjoying the scenery, but a little bit bored by the repetative nature of it all sees a sign with penguins and imagines seeing penguins, seeing Antarctica, a candy aisle, a place to stretch his legs and all sorts of other things that are more interesting than another hour of taking in the scenery.

The adults in the car are differently affected. For one thing, they probably are more appreciative of the scenery, realizing that Wyoming is quite different from the everyday vistas of southern Minnesota. They also weren’t born yesterday and realize that penguins on a sign don’t equate to penguins at a gas station. Experience has taught them that gas stations are everywhere, useful for fuel, snacks and biological relief and little else.

So, when faced with GAS, the first question is; what will this piece of equipment do that I can’t do with equipment I already have? The next question would be; what do I imagine myself doing with this piece of equipment? The answer to those questions will speak volumes about the desire to purchase, but they are like DuoTron pickups, which is to say that they work best as a set of two.

The answer to the first question might be that it serves a purpose. I don’t have an electric 12 string, so I could get a 12 string Strat past the first round and justify it. But, what would I actually do with a 12 string Strat? Play the rhythm part to Stairway? Do some jangly late ‘60s tunes? Or is it to have something new to look at? (Which actually equates to pictures of penguins on a billboard.) The real desire here probably involves opportunities to play music in interesting settings and situations.

If I had a lot of money, millions upon millions of dollars, I would build a building which housed a good recording studio, could host live performances to a live audience and would allow young musicians to come together to learn and interact with one another. What do these have in common? Simply that they all involve interaction. A recording studio involves a degree of interaction (unless you are playing all the parts yourself and engineering it yourself). Live performances and learning sessions involve interaction between people, including the most important interaction of all, the response of an audience, be they a paying audience or just the other musicians in the room.

Ultimately, IMHO, GAS reduces to one thing, frustration because of lack of opportunities to play music with others and to perform for an audience of any sort.

I will take an interesting sidetrack here for a moment. One of the best musical performances venues I ever visited was a rock n’ roll band that rented the sanctuary of a church. The performance was entirely secular, a band had rented the sanctuary for a commercial performance, but the venue was fascinating. What occurred to me was that live music, performed by local talent, was a big part of what was going on.

To me, it underscores the fact that people are attracted to socializing, music and maybe a bit of refreshment. GAS is one facet of this attraction. Our role, as musicians, is to interact by providing music. If we’re not availed opportunities to do this, then the frustration of this comes out and buying gear is something we can control while performance opportunities are not always within our control.

capnhiho and Mark W like this.
  18. afire

afire Country Gent

Not really. After decades of intense GAS, it just suddenly stopped about 10 years ago. I haven't bought a guitar since February of 2011.

But my other GAS problem (Gruen Acquisition Syndrome) has filled the void. These are what keep me up at night nowadays.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hcsterg likes this.
  19. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Having played in several bands at a very young age and followed up with a solo act I have absolutely zero desire to play with another person. I have on 4 or 5 occasions jammed with my son, my barber and another but the enjoyment was gone. I can understand that most folks would derive a great deal of enjoyment playing with others and performing live. And also that when you are busy playing or learning songs you no longer have as much free time or boredom to get sucked in to GAS. When I gigged I never looked at gear. I just prayed nothing would break because I was poor.

The other reason for GAS? So many choices. Crazy.

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Anyone else suffering from GAS at the moment??

Yes! :eek::confused:

For 2nd hand Lefty Danelectro DC-59 "O" (300E) :

[​IMG]

Or a 2nd hand Lefty Danelectro U2 "56" (350E) :

[​IMG]

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O, etc... :D

A°!

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.