Anyone else suffering from GAS at the moment??

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Aw man, do you want the long list or the short list?
    I'm currently building a Gilmour Red Strat to go with my Black.
    I want to put a P90 in my 5622.
    I'm drooling over the Guild Starfire 12-string in Shoreline Mist.
    I want to put the Fromel Mods in my Fender Two-Tone.
    There are several effects builds I have parts for that I haven't gotten the time together to get together.
    The list goes on...

Jeff67 likes this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    When the pandemic hit my income was cut by more than half. I had to cancel 2 Gretsch I had on order, so I still have the GAS for those 2 but realistically I won't be able to afford any more guitars now. :(

3. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    it concerns me how many of you need imodium on this forum you should get it checked out.

Jeff67 likes this.
  4. RatRod Gentleman

RatRod Gentleman Electromatic

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dear sir, let’s not undervalue your worth to society, art and live music! Once the performing arts industry rumbles its way back to normality surely even more guitars find their way into your already healthy collection. Besides, as a member of Aussie Rock Folklore, you’ll never be longing for a glorious instrument to grace your hands. Not while my backside points southward.

audept likes this.
  5. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    Also, I’d consider giving my left eye for mid 50s blonde country club like this one

upload_2020-10-8_19-45-34.jpeg

Marv666, new6659, Stefan87 and 4 others like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I'm considering ( gassing ) for a Ovation 12 string

7. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    YES! Constantly...

DeArmond blue sparkle.jpg DeArmond M75.jpg DeArmond M75T.jpg Epi RD.jpg epiphone-1958-korina-flying-v-.jpg

Marv666 likes this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Always. A nice 1K+ acoustic, a pedal or two(Boss EQ200, Octave-5), some smaller 8” cabs etc.
    Two frozen shoulders(I haven’t played for 3 years) and a house that is twice the original estimated budget keep my priorities in check, so far.

9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’m pretty satisfied with what I have. I certainly can’t justify (to myself, or to my cat) adding to the collection. I tried a Vintera Jaguar, but the honeymoon was short and I happened to pick up my G6119-1962 and quickly realized that the sound I sought from the Jaguar was easy to find in in any of my four Gretsch. I did work my Custom Telecaster FMT HH back into the playing rotation, however.

I went through a bit of GAS earlier this year and spent some money on fortifying the larger of my two pedalboards, adding a larger power supply, a phase shifter and a chorus.

My theory is that GAS is mostly a form of what I like to call “alternative participation”. Let me explain. It takes time to make noticeable improvement in our playing and the interim can be frustrating. While the pace of our progress as players cannot be entirely controlled, buying something ... anything, can be accomplished in whatever time frame we want.

So, when a person is musically frustrated, buying a new instrument or accessory is a form of instant gratification. I’ve noticed that when I’m playing with a band, I tend not to fixate on equipment, and I think that’s because I’m thinking about songs, arrangements, etc.

With the relative confinement we are experiencing, I think it’s no surprise that GAS would develop. There are few gigs for most of us and even practicing with the guys is inhibited in some cases. We’re “all dressed up, and nowhere to go”, so it’s natural to feel a degree of frustration.

Now, onto the happy stuff. Are there guitars I would like to own? Sure! The Steve Wariner Sig’ Model looks interesting. Likewise the double cutaway Player’s Edition Country Gent.

I’m a sucker for amps and could easily see myself adding a Marshall 2061 to the collection. When it comes to amps, the sky is the limit. Were I wealthy, I would love to have a large, bespoke music room of 600 sq. ft. or so, maybe even larger. In said room, I would like to have a wide assortment of amplifiers, such as a ‘59 Bassman, a Bluesbreaker, the above mentioned Marshall 2061, a Fender Super Reverb, a Brownface Showman and maybe a Top Boost AC-30.

As you will notice, most of these are larger and not so much fun to lug around. (I lifted up a Super Reverb in 1972 and still remember the sensation.) These are not necessarily amps I would play often. I really am very happy with the Winfields I own, but each of the amps listed above has something unique going for it.

The Bassman is an overtone factory. The Marshall Bluesbreaker is a very loose feeling amp, with minimal headroom. The 2061 is like a stiffer version of the 18 watt Marshall and has exceptional touch sensitivity, but more backbone than its 18 watt sibling. The Super Reverb is a powerhouse of substance and warmth. The Showman is a unique machine; obvious for Surf, but it’s also what Freddie King used for Hideaway. The Top Boost, well, it’s a Top Boost; just a chime master.

10. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Is the doubling of the house your fault or the wife's?

11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Mine alltogether. I insisted on having an “office”...:)

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  12. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Good deal. It's nice to have your own space.

Ricochet likes this.
  13. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Also...

Gretsch amp 1.jpg Blackstar KT88.jpg

And maybe a VHT Special 12/ 20.

BCRatRod73 and RatRod Gentleman like this.
  14. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    I totally agree that a Ric is special with a unique sound, its just that it would be a lot easier for me to convince the wife to accept me buying a $ 400.00 Danelectro rather than a $3,000;00 Rickenbacker! :D

Highroller likes this.
  15. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Does she really have to know? hehe! :rolleyes:

Snidely-Whiplash.png

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    BCRatRod73 likes this.
  16. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Most every day...but right now I'm on a couch with a broken foot... and a laptop...and a deep abiding conviction that I will play so much better with THAT guitar.

Link Wray.jpg

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    All that I am gassing about at this point of time is so far away of my financial means.
    I drooled over an ebay-calssifieds ad of No 245 of 353 medallion Flying Vs in mind condition offered for EUR 16.000. Wich is an o.k. offer for such a rarity. Bonamassa sold his one for USD 19.000. I would gladly sell a kidney for it but maybe I should save that for the next crazy financial decision of my wife.

18. RatRod Gentleman

Sep 28, 2020
    Brisbane, Australia
    hahaha, I'm pretty certain I'd play much better with that facial expression. actually I wonder if I look like that when stuffing up jazz chords for the 93rd time?

19. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Pretty much set up permanently. But man i crave a Mesa Stiletto Trident Stage 2..croc skin and all..quasi recto/el34 thing outta cure me

20. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Electromatic

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    Yeah I always seem to be GAS-ing...

Right now it's a mix of:

G&L Fallout Tribute
    Gretsch G5227
    Egnater Tweaker amp
    New harder-rockin' pickups for my G5439T

My birthday is in a couple weeks - guess I should be sending this to my wife instead of y'all... oh well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.