Anyone else suffering from GAS at the moment??

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Flouswa, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

And if you are, what are you currently drooling over?

Mine is kind of boring, but I'm contemplating a new Takamine, a P3NC. I currently have two Tak's, a beat up old GS330S and a nice, like new GN93CE. I love the feel of the GN93 and love the tone of the 330, so I'm thinking that a P3 would be the best of all of the things I love about the two guitars. Just having a hard time pulling the trigger on a guitar that expensive, especially right now since I'm not really playing anywhere other than home. Then there's the whole "do I sell a guitar or two" dilemma as well if it works out the way I want it to... (insert confusion music here)

I did buy a new acoustic amp a few months ago, a dual channel Fender. It's hopefully going to fix several issues without breaking the bank. Playing solo it will work for guitar and mic and if playing as a duo, it will be our mic amp. I bought a rose gold colored Shubb capo at the beginning of the mess and a Shure microphone (and a stand). Other than that, I've been really well behaved. My Gretsch 2655T is in the shop having some mods done at the moment, anxious to get it back.

2. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Fairly recently I had actually reached the point of being happy with my existing gear. I might try some pickup swaps to get a new sound, but I was content with the guitars I owned. After I bought my Delta Blues 115 I was done with the amp quest. I decided I would rediscover my gear and get reacquainted with it. Everything was going well with that plan until I was bitten by the Gretsch bug. Beware of that bug.
    Now that I have a 5410T Rat Rod I'm gassing for something in the 6xxx series, made in Japan with an ebony fretboard ought to temporarily satisfy the G.A.S. Although a Tennessee Rose with the rosewood fretboard would suit me just fine. I think I want a White Falcon, then I see that Country Club. Then I see that Eddie Cochran model. I love the Setzer '59 Smoke model. Then there's the Duane Eddy with those Dynasonics! Too many choices!

Stefan87, Flouswa and aFriendbFrosty like this.
  3. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    Just a little:.....

I'd like a Rickenbacker 4003 Bass Guitar...not that I play much bass, mostly for the sentimental reason of when I WAS gigging (almost too long ago to remember :eek: ) I played a Ric 4001. I foolishly sold it to Ron V. in Shooting Star.

AND....

I am really jonesing for a Tom Anderson Drop Top S style. Definitely don't need one...but, really would like one....someday.

Flouswa likes this.
  4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Takamine p4nc is very similar to a Takamine p4DC I had for a brief time. Mine was a stunningly made acoustic that played fantastic with an incredible sounding amplified tone.

I returned it for two reasons, one the preamp in the guitar was complicated, it actually had a tube in it. The one you are considering does not. I was not a fan of the complexity. Secondly, the straight acoustic tone was not what I was after, I wanted a Bluegrass Cannon.

Takamine pro series guitars are basically hand made in Japan and are are stunning. Their amplified sound might just be the best in the industry.

Flouswa likes this.
  5. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I keep the GAS bubbling on the stove, pretty much.

But I have made some decisions to sell a bunch of guitars, and try to winnow it down to a few really good ones. For instance, three Gibsons (two specials and a CM) on the block, with an LP Classic Lite incoming.

Flouswa likes this.
  6. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    About a year ago I wanted to upgrade my acoustic experience. I had an Epi EJ-200SCE jumbo (still have it). The only mod I did was to upgrade the nut to a TUSQ. Little bit of $$ made a big difference. With a new set of strings on that guitar it sounds really good. But, I wanted an all solid wood guitar, no poly, and a bone nut. Tall order considering the budget, but I saw one guitar that ticked all the boxes: Epiphone Masterbilt Century Deluxe jumbo. I love that guitar. It was on sale at the time for $499. I thought it was a typo so I quickly clicked the buy button before they changed the price. Put this one on your list of potentials.

I decided to put a new set of the same strings on both guitars to assess their tones.
    The EJ200 is brighter while the Century is richer and fuller. I'm keeping the EJ200 just because it sounds good, even better with a fresh set of strings.

Flouswa likes this.
  7. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Dude.... I suffer from GAS CONSTANTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

current things I'm going goo goo over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Jackson Gretsch hybrid... but as a Double Rhoads (oversized V)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I hear ya! I still would love to have a Falcon with the Cadillac tailpiece at some point, but that's still just dreaming for now...

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  9. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    An added benefit of those pointy guitars is they can act as a quick home defense weapon if needed.

panhead6zero, Flouswa and Runamok like this.
  10. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Sweetwater's wish list might be the answer. Sign up with them if you haven't already and add up to $5,000 in your wish list. You never know...

Flouswa likes this.
  11. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I'm already a customer with a nice long wishlist...LOL

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  12. aFriendbFrosty

aFriendbFrosty Gretschie

May 22, 2020
    West Coast
    Too many to list them all:D

Suffice it to say that the Gretsch bug got me bad this year, haha. Mostly hollow body models, but there are a couple FSR solid body models I would want too.

There are also others:
    -couple Reverend models
    -couple of Kauer models
    -couple of Rickenbacker models

I've already spent more than I planned for the year. At least they've all been worth it:)

Flouswa likes this.
  13. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I want for nothing right now.

I’ve acquired a lot of cool new gear in 2020.

14. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    BWAHAHAHAHA.......!!

Flouswa and dak55 like this.
  15. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    So, like a Martin?

Or, have you tried the Takamine Glenn Frey signature model? That one comes pretty close to the cannon you might be looking for. Ironically, in an infamous dust up between him and Don Felder where a Takamine was sacrificed backstage at a benefit concert as the target of Don’s frustration, Glenn responded something to the effect like, big deal, smashing the “shitty guitar.” I read something like that in the Don Felder book he wrote after getting kicked out of the Eagles the first time.

for temporary relief of GAS, I get a music book and try to learn something new on a guitar I haven’t played in a while. It makes me happy to have the guitars I have, for a little while.

MotorCentaur and Flouswa like this.
  16. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    I keep finding guitars in my closets that I haven't spent enough time with, so that has kept my Guitar GAS at bay. But amps, overdrives and their ilk, those things always lurk on the horizon. Lately, I've been jonesing for a Line 6 Helix, but I think they might be releasing a new version sometime so I'm reluctant to jump on that one.

Flouswa likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Luckily, I have been able to obtain pretty much everything I want. I am in the process of revamping my pedal board, but this pedal gives me GAS even though it is totally impractical for me but perhaps too cool to resist - discussed on another thread. I will probably eventually get it just because.

[​IMG]

Rmccamey, Flouswa and Stefan87 like this.
  18. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    The Helix is a nice multi-FX unit. From amp emulations to all the included pedals. You could just show up with that and your guitar and be done with it. Easy set up for the gig. I've never played with one but I hear those owners who have been really happy with them have spent A LOT of time dialing in their tones, a lot of time in the editor, etc.
    I get the bug to upgrade to the latest generation of MFX pedals but then I realize I'm doing just fine with my Zoom G5n. It does everything I need really.

I'd rather go back to a very small collection of physical pedals than get an all-in-one digital unit. To each his own though. They are so handy for practice & recording.

If they do release a new upgrade for the Helix you could score yourself a nice deal on a used model.

MotorCentaur and Flouswa like this.
  19. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Too many to list,but i've wanted a Caddy green Dyna Club forever and i set and watched one for over 10 months and never pulled the trigger ,and lost out.:rolleyes:

Big birthday coming up this month ,and i was contemplating buying myself something nice,another White Falcon maybe,i dunno ...i kinda feel a bit guilty at the moment buying anything,i might have to sell something to get over that.:confused:

Want a 62 Hi-Lo Tenny to complete the George trio and a 57 Dyna Silver Jet too if at all possible Santa...:D

mbkri, Stefan87 and DannyB like this.
  20. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Every day since 1988

Flouswa likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.