Anyone compared non-boutique EP boosters to Tavo's?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Snakum, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Snakum

Snakum Gretschie

Dec 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    I haven't often run a compressor much except for bass. So I'm just pulling it unless I'm recording. Will try switching it around in the chain next.

As far as the Brain ... it's getting velcro'd in this weekend. Normal always on and ABBY with bass all the way down for lead boost. With the Brain on, my SC2 in crunch mode and gain rolled off, a vintage Strat neck pickup it's SRV city. And of course it's perfect with the Gretsch for the one Stray Cats tune and one original.

To be honest ... I was a little skeptical at first. But it really is different from the other pres I've tried. If I had a pedal with the Brain on one side and a 'grit' on the other with it's own level conttol I could die happy. :p

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022 at 4:54 PM
    sgarnett, Merc, Henry and 1 other person like this.
  2. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I had something like that out for a while, it was so labor intensive ( shrunken brain ) as a hand wired pedal (stuffing 2 separate circuit boards in one mini box) I couldnt make them for a reasonable price. Plus the demand wasnt there as most guys/gals like their plethora of drive boxes. I know I cant settle on just one thing. My latest drive box is the Barber Buss and I've been using the Strymon iridium I got for Xmas, as an overdrive into my amp :) :) Its amazing in plexi mode.
    mini atomic and shrunken brain tequila sunrise.JPG

sgarnett, Marv666, Henry and 2 others like this.
  3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My custom nocturne dream would be the same size as the current Atomic Brain. But it would he always on and the right foot switch would be the Abby switch. Left side would be the fluid drive. There would be an insert so you could have each side anywhere in the chain. I guess it would be hard to put more knobs on it.

4. Snakum

Snakum Gretschie

Dec 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    So if I ever run across a Shrunken Brain I'll snap it up! :D

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. Snakum

Snakum Gretschie

Dec 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    I'll take one! Lol.

Henry likes this.
  6. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
  7. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    One on Reverb right now!;)

Bertotti likes this.
  8. Snakum

Snakum Gretschie

Dec 16, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thnx for the link. If it's still there Friday Imma shoot him an offer.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.