Anybody try silk and steel strings on a Gretsch hollow body?

NewbieBob

Electromatic
Jul 18, 2020
New York City
I have G2420 and love it. I'm learning a lot of fingerstyle blues being taught on an acoustic guitar. Considering bridging the gap between the purely electric nature of the Gretsch with a sound closer to acoustic with the silk and steel strings that are said to play easier than regular acoustic strings. Am I barking up the wrong tree or have any of you tried this? Other options?

Thanks

dr. love

Gretschie
Jun 2, 2008
Texas
I believe the “silk and steel” strings are metal core with a silk layer between the windings, not like classical guitar strings where the core is non-metallic. If they stick to a magnet they should work.

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA
I believe the “silk and steel” strings are metal core with a silk layer between the windings, not like classical guitar strings where the core is non-metallic. If they stick to a magnet they should work.

I guess it depends on the brand. When I’ve used them, they have a pure silk core on a silver wrap, like a classical guitar string.

It occurs to me that the bronze and stainless steel wrappings are not magnetic. Is nickel?

Runamok

Country Gent
I've never heard a Dobro 12 string before. What a monster!
Arch-cone 12 string, no less.
I have one similar. Not by intent: I hit a curb with mine.

Love that he talks about fit of the guitars. Silk & Steel strings.
He has his pinky professionally encased in glass.

12 frets to the body while playing slide: never dawned on me to express it this way for slide: as a natural stop at the tuning octave!

He ought endorse aftermarket pick guards which address his points of wear on his 0-16 Martin!

Last edited:

Latest posts