Anybody know where I can get a name plate/logo made to replace one on amp?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by YouFellowRebels, Jul 12, 2020.

1. YouFellowRebels

YouFellowRebels Gretschie

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    I recently saw some overtly racist comments by the boutique amp maker that made my amp....in lieu of advertising for them with the name badge on it I was curious if anybody knows where I could get a replacement made with different logo/word on it?

2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    That’s unfortunate.
    I’d wanna do the same thing.
    Try a trophy shop. They can probably engrave a plate with whatever you’d like it to say.

3. YouFellowRebels

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the tip! I’d sell it but hard to get rid of a $2k amp that sounds great, just won’t be buying more. Stinks because it was a local one too!

calebaaron666 and JT19 like this.
  4. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I hear ya

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    If the name plate is smooth any sign shop can make you a high quality vinyl transfer of the exact size to put over it. Actually, there are web based providers that do custom ones. I did that a number of years ago. I used their vast array of fonts and colors for a project I did. It has been so long I have no record of who I used....Sorry.

Good luck

6. YouFellowRebels

Jun 17, 2020
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the tip! I’ll check that out also. They are smooth. Probably just out either my last name or band name on them.

7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Could you just remove the name plate and leave it badge less? I did that with a cab I got made, no dis respect to the builder and would tell anyone who asked who built it, I just didn't like the design of the name plate.

YouFellowRebels and JT19 like this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'd say trophy shop, too. One caveat however---they might not want to make a copy of a trademarked name. Scruples and such.

YouFellowRebels and mrfixitmi like this.
  9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Scruples?

Yur showing your age again, those don’t exist anymore :eek:

10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I'm kind of a DIY guy and recently looked for local pinstripers to do one of my Gretsches. I live in a big city and there are a couple to choose from.

I'd make a replacement plate of brass or aluminum or steel or whatever and have a pinstriper paint a border and logo or name or whatever design you dream up.

YouFellowRebels and JT19 like this.
  11. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    There's a dealer on Reverb- Ronny's custom accessories and guitars- that made these for me. I put them on a couple of pine speaker cabs I built. Graphics and paint on the back like the gold and silver Gretsch pickguards. It looks awesome on the cab I painted Dakota Red nitro with black hardware, handle, and baffle covered in black tolex. I think he also does some in metal.

Amp badge.jpg

12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Another idea, possibly nuts, depending on what you are capable of and how much time you have.

What color is the tolex on the amp??
    You could use a mototool and jewelers files to cut out a design in a plate.
    For example, a polished aluminum or brass plate with black tolex showing through the cutouts.

Design it in your computer, print it out full-sized, tape it on and cut it out. Use a font something like a stencil, blocky with square corners you'll have to file. And cut curved designs into the edges of the plate so it's not just a rectangle.
    Just an idea, not a design I'd use but just an example of what you could do:
    Randy99CL plate.jpg

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    YouFellowRebels and Jeff67 like this.
  13. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    Minnesota Twins sticker.

I want to figure out if you can make a ceramic scratchplate. It would look good on an amp, until it cracked.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I don't why this has sparked my imagination but the ideas are flowing.

Make a plate of thin wood, maybe 1/8" (or less) thick. Make your design, cut it out of vinyl tape and apply it to the wood. Sandblast the wood so all but your design is recessed. Looks really cool, 3D, I've seem companies that make house numbers and other signs that way. You can even paint it easily.

And you can do a metal plate that way too. Sandblast it so your logo is still polished and the backround is rough.
    Edit: and you could take a plate, paint it any contrasting color, then apply the vinyl logo and sandblast the paint off to leave the logo painted.

15. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
  16. markeebee

markeebee Country Gent

17. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    2K or no 2K ...I'd sell it anyway

J Bird, JT19 and YouFellowRebels like this.
  18. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    I guess if I was looking for a good amp that you would recommend that I get Bent?

19. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada

I have two replacement VOX amp logos, one gold, one chrome. also VOX diamond vintage grill cloth, black background, and correct VOX vintage white grill cloth vinyl piping.

Everybody should have at least two VOX amps, the older the better, JMI vintage preferred, makes that ''Great Gretsch Sound'' really great. If you have a Jangle Box, even better.

PM me if you're interested,

I'll provide details/photos.

BIB

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.