Anybody Know Anything About Amp

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Isn't "GA" a Gibson nomenclature?
'60s solid state? Price reduced?
The label on back reads FG Enterprises---Not Fred Gretsch.
Addison IL.
Avoid this one.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Reckon very few early ‘70s Solid state are worth more than a 100…

GA-Guitar Amplification? Hagström had a GA solid state line in ‘62.

I actually had a amp given to me which looked remarkably similar. It was stripped of the faceplate(or paint, not sure) and the grill. Just one input though and an on/off switch instead. Didn’t even sound bad. I threw it out cause I can’t stand Chipboard and kept the electronics, somewhere.

markeebee

Country Gent
Apr 27, 2010
Forever Malcolm Young
Not a Gretsch amp. Not even close, for the specific reasons @wabash slim mentions.
Actually, it kind of is. Kind of. I think.

In the "that much is true" corner: FGEnterprises of Addison, Illinois was also known as Fred Gretsch Enterprises. Definitely, fact.

In the "I think I read somewhere that...." corner: FGE was set up by Fred after the sale of Gretsch to Baldwin, in order to distribute items of musical kit to the stores that Fred already had relations with. A guy's gotta make a living. Definitely the company distributed Bandmaster harmonicas (made in Germany) and, clearly, amplifiers. Calling this a Gretsch amp is very much a stretch, though.

In the "wild supposition" corner: it could have been made by Valco, maybe, but to me it looks like a Japanese amp. I've seen very very similar amps branded "Zenta", which were made by Guyatone (hence the "GA" model number maybe, although it might just stand for Guitar Amplifier).

Who knows? Not me.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island

In the "that much is true" corner: FGEnterprises of Addison, Illinois was also known as Fred Gretsch Enterprises. Definitely, fact.

In the "I think I read somewhere that...." corner: FGE was set up by Fred after the sale of Gretsch to Baldwin, in order to distribute items of musical kit to the stores that Fred already had relations with. A guy's gotta make a living. Definitely the company distributed Bandmaster harmonicas (made in Germany) and, clearly, amplifiers. Calling this a Gretsch amp is very much a stretch, though.

In the "wild supposition" corner: it could have been made by Valco, maybe, but to me it looks like a Japanese amp. I've seen very very similar amps branded "Zenta", which were made by Guyatone (hence the "GA" model number maybe, although it might just stand for Guitar Amplifier).

Who knows? Not me.

They might still be at it. In my Island locals there is a surplus of cheap practice amps with exotic names like Oranye, Leney, etc. At least 10 different brands, all look different enough, but the faceplate topology is oddly similar and they all have GA-15 as model name.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
In the late seventies I had a cataloque from Conrad Elektrinik which was a distrubutor for electronic components for DIY hifi-builts and things like that.
Besides components and speakers there was a column especially for guitarists. I remember that there were several solid-state-amps that looked similar to that one. They were so cheap that even I-as a penny-less student- ignored them.
What is interesting is that there were tons of Shin-Ei-Companion products listed there for very, very little money.
I bought a Wah/Distortion model that I played for several years until I gave it away.
Recently I noticed that these pedals go for incredible sums on the collector`s market.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

Who knows? Not me.
I find it hard to believe that Fred Gretsch would put his name on that.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
In the late seventies I had a cataloque from Conrad Elektrinik which was a distrubutor for electronic components for DIY hifi-builts and things like that.
Besides components and speakers there was a column especially for guitarists. I remember that there were several solid-state-amps that looked similar to that one. They were so cheap that even I-as a penny-less student- ignored them.
What is interesting is that there were tons of Shin-Ei-Companion products listed there for very, very little money.
I bought a Wah/Distortion model that I played for several years until I gave it away.
Recently I noticed that these pedals go for incredible sums on the collector`s market.

That’s amazing. Too bad about the Shin-Ei stuff. Yeah that stuff is money now.

I think I bought a bunch of Conrad P90s once LOL!

Latest posts