Anybody here with dramatic hearing loss?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Same problem in reverse, my wife is annoyed at me for what she can't hear....

new6659 and wabash slim like this.
  2. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    My ears ring 27-28 hours a day 8-9 days a week. It drives my crazy it never stops.
    Thank goodness for CC on my tv's.
    I worked in the construction industry my whole career, ear plugs and muffs are a good thing. Wish I used them in the beginning years.
    Loud music, motorcycles and loud cars probably have not helped either.
    When I was a kid I would get ear infections. I remember when I would be in a quite room that silence had a sound ... Now I know it was just a ringing that gets louder and longer with age.
    I read somewhere if I lose all my hearing I will still hear these noises ... I dont think I could handle that.

lbrous2, Shock, radd and 1 other person like this.
  3. BrianW

BrianW Country Gent

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Unfortunately, for me it's the other way around... and the masks combined with plexiglass barriers certainly don't make it any easier.

4. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    When I worked 2nd shift and came home after midnight I would want to unwind with some TV time, but be quiet about it. I bought some very inexpensive wireless headphones which really solved that problem. I suggested them also to a co-worker whose poor hearing made her turn the TV volume way up and they worked for her too.
    [​IMG]

5. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    I thought I had damaged the hearing in my left ear after a Stones concert in '72 where I was standing (nobody was seated, of course) in front of the PA speakers (stage right). My ears, particularly the left one, were ringing for days but I managed to get through it without any permanent side effects - other than wanting to see another Stones concert that is. In the 90s when I was in a band at practice sessions in a cramped space, everybody's amps were always turned up loud mainly from trying to compete with an overly zealous drummer. My ears were always ringing afterward. Finally some genius came up with the idea that if we all turned *down* a bit we would actually be able to hear what everyone else was playing, and do our hearing a long term favor as well. Best of luck to everyone in 2021!

6. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yeah, but no luck.... they never find anything wrong

7. ahuhbo

ahuhbo Newbie

Dec 18, 2020
    Austin Texas
    Hearing aids have a tiny hole in the ear piece. I find that by enlarging that hole, the sound is more natural and not the “in a tunnel sound.” You need to keep that hole clear from wax or the tunnel sound will return.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    While I appreciate your taste in music and guitars, I've got to ask just what's going on with that wonky cable? It's been frayed and miscoiled, and should've been retired to the circular floor file long ago, and given a proper burial. I'd be surprised if it actually works. No wonder you can't hear the guitar.

9. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    Most modern hearing aids have "Compression" built in, you may have to have your tech dial in a bit more. Mine used to ring my ears when the wife would clank some dishes or pop popcorn. After my tech dialed in a little more compression that problem was solved.

radd and Londoner like this.
  10. drrohle

drrohle Synchromatic

Jan 3, 2014
    Hays, KS
    Mine did the same thing. Very annoying. Most modern hearing aids have "Compression" built in, you may have to have your tech dial in a bit more. Mine used to ring my ears when the wife would clank some dishes or pop popcorn. After my tech dialed in a little more compression that problem was solved.

radd likes this.
  11. jml77

jml77 Electromatic

Your hearing loss seems very similar to mine, though I don't have pulsatile tinnitus in time with my heartbeat, that would drive me quite scatty. I do have a high pitched morse code superimposed on top of the high pitched ringing with noise in my right ear, which is my better ear, but not in time with heartbeat as far as I can tell. My left ear just screeches constantly.

When I had my second episode of sudden hearing loss (left ear) I went through a period where tones were very distorted to the extent that they bore no resemblance to the actual tone. Almost like a ring modulated sound, only much worse. It cleared up after several months, thankfully. Does that sound similar to your pitch perception problems.

My partner has hearing loss too, hers is age related, we have some very strange conversations at times. We both have hearing aids.

radd and ffc65 like this.
  12. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    So a lot of times I will repeat what it is that I thought people said to me just for laughs. I was in a truckstop in Winnemucca and a guy at the counter asked me if I "ordered the Draino." "No," I said. "Why the h311 would I order Draino?" I guess he asked me if I was going to Reno.

SAguitar, radd and ffc65 like this.
  13. ffc65

ffc65 Electromatic

Jan 7, 2015
    London
    It is kind of like that. I can hear a song start and struggle to pick out anything but then it all seems to shift up a few keys and "lock together", if that makes sense.
    In regards to playing guitar, as someone who learnt to play by ear and has no knowledge of any scales etc it makes it very difficult indeed.

14. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Three old guys on a train in England. One says, "Next stop is Wembley", next guy says, "Wednesday, I thought it was Thursday", third guy says, "I am too, let's get a drink". Bah dah boom...

SAguitar and radd like this.
  15. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    I used to call that 'creative listening'. Sometimes my wife would look at me and say ' You have no idea what I just said, do you?' And of course she was correct.

SAguitar, ffc65, Sabato and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    My buddy Pete has hearing loss worse than mine and when someone says something he can understand he says, "uh-huh" or "Oh ya."

Then it's game on! Telling him "how much I appreciate him coming through for me when I really need money" or "how nice it is of him to take in the two orphaned kittens."

radd likes this.
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Trying to understand someone with a mask on isn't easy. Many folks need to hear the sibilants in speech to understand words. HF hearing loss is just the same.

radd likes this.
  18. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I have a terrible time with the nice ladies in the grocery store. High pitch voices, talking softly, wearing a mask and behind a plexiglass shield. I can't make out a word some days.

radd likes this.
  19. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I gotta say that you all have given me an incredible amount of insight as to what my future may likely be, weather I like it or not! Sometimes, the reality of understanding what to expect is better than being caught off guard!

In the meantime, nice professional job on the jack plate!

I did that on my 5120 after a friend showed me his 6120. During a gig, he stepped up to the mike about the same time he stepped on his guitar cord and ripped the jack clean out of the body of his 6120! Like I said... the reality of understanding what to expect is better than being caught off guard!

ffc65, BrianW and radd like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.