Anybody here with dramatic hearing loss?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by radd, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Sounds like these hearing aids need compressors, maybe a nocturne brain preamp.

radd and Randy99CL like this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I'm 60 and while I have excellent hearing, I have weird pressure problems in my ears. Sometimes it feels like someone is blowing air in there and there's always that pressure like when you're flying and you need to pop your ears.... but, they won't pop. I've been to all the experts but, just like with my post nasal drip, they can't seem to find a solution...
    Rarely I have a few minutes of tinnitus but not enough to be more obnoxious than the pressure issue.

3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    My hearing aids work, and are adjusted pretty good. However, there are specific noises that also get amplified that are very annoying. One of those is if someone crumples up a piece of paper in the room I’m in it sounds like they are inches from my ear.

Mine cost about $2,500 a few years ago. I’m sure there a better ones now but I think those run between $3,000- $5,000

4. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    That sounds awful

I rode motorcycles for 50 yrs over much of the US, without ear plugs for much of that career. On a trip were I covered about 5,000 miles in about a week with a new full face helmet my first experience with tinnitus occurred. When I got home there were fire alarms going off in my head. I was almost throwing up for much of a week until it subsided. I have been able to keep it at a mild but still at times annoying level since.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  5. Londoner

Londoner Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    UK
    I get that pressure issue too, again the experts couldn't find a solution. Even had a CT scan once and was told something about fluid in the inner ear and to try a nasal rinse, alas without success. It comes and goes. If you make yawning movements do you hear it clicking?

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Hey! A Hammond B-3/Leslie is only 40 watts. The biggest culprits are overly loud guitarist, and drummers with their piccolo snares and crash cymbals. There's a reason someone invented drum shields.

I don't usually spend that much for a car or truck. I find it obscene that a hearing aid costs that much. Who prices these things? The government?

loudnlousy and new6659 like this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Luckily, no... just pressure and such. If I **** my head just right sometimes I get this weird thup thup thup in my left ear... nearly painful.

Runamok likes this.
  8. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    It's hell getting old...

rich724 and radd like this.
  9. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    The higher end hearing aids ($3,000 to $5,000) range have a lot of capabilities. I have had various brands over the years. My current set is Oticon. This set is from the VA but I have had a comparable Oticon set before. Some of the features include multiple programs, blue tooth and directionality. (depending upon the set). The programs are nice because they are set for different situations such as car noise, loud spaces (crowed restaurants), music, and of course ‘normal’ or typical. I can connect via Bluetooth and listen to YouTube or other sources without bothering my wife who is reading nearby. I can also connect them to other sources such as my phone for improved hearing on calls. I can also set a transmitter near a source such as a TV. They are rechargeable and last all day. I wear them from when I get up to when I go to bed. Of course, not all ears are alike.

One of the interesting things for me was discovering that you hear with your brain. Your ears convert the variations in air pressure to signals that the brain can use. It then attempts to make sense of those signals. That is why good adjustments and wearing them is important, you are training your brain to understand the signals better. Of course, hearing once damaged or gone is gone and hearing aids can only do so much in attempting to improve a bad situation

10. Ol Geezer

Ol Geezer Electromatic

Aug 27, 2020
    Michigan
    I have had tinnitus for about eight years. I figured it was all the years in bar bands or the lead player that only knew how to play one way LOUD. When my tinnitus started I had a real bad head cold and cough went to local hospital was treated with two different types of steroids the next day I woke up with strange ringing in my ears.Went to Michigan ear clinic and was diagnosed with tinnitus, do to sudden onset they said it was likely caused by an overdose of steroids.

radd likes this.
  11. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    I played in a metal band for ten years but luckily the bass player's dad used to bring us real nice ear plugs from his job. From the occasional high decibels I was exposed to I developed a painful reaction to high frequencies for a few years. I have fully recovered now but remain super careful when the PA is on anywhere...

new6659 and radd like this.
  12. jml77

jml77 Electromatic

I've had at least 3 episodes of sudden hearing loss in my left ear. The first took away most hearing above 7 khz, the second 5 or 6 years later wiped out 2khz and above, and another 4 years later everything else. I lost all vestibular function in that ear as well. My right ear has lost all above 4khz. Tinnitus is constant.
    It seems to have stabilised and I've not had any other sudden losses over the last 30 years or so. I'm grateful for the 4khz mono hearing that I have, I can still appreciate music, got to be thankful for small mercies.

radd likes this.
  13. coryb

coryb Electromatic

Jul 15, 2017
    Virginia
    I don’t have hearing aids. Yet. But, at age 62 I figure they’re coming at some point as hearing problems run in my family anyway.

I do have tinnitus and keep a white noise generator on my phone running at night.

I have hearing loss from “that d&#* rock and roll”, working in a loud factory for two summers, and driving convertibles and Jeeps for years.

Nowadays I use earplugs at every concert I attend, as well as driving my Jeep, using power equipment, and ALWAYS on an airplane.

I’m just trying to protect the hearing I have left. I saw how hard it was for my father and grandmother who had maybe 10% hearing remaining and I don’t want to live like that.

Londoner and radd like this.
  14. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Electromatic

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    I have noticeably worse hearing in my left ear, but I was born that way. People who know me well will notice that I always walk on their left, sit on their left, etc.

I have had mixed luck with hearing movies and TV at home. Always riding the volume control, subtitles, etc. We recently got an Apple HomePod for the TV and I don't know what it is, but I can hear everything now, never touch the volume, don't need subtitles. Struggled with both bigger and smaller speakers for that purpose.

Wishing the best to all of you older folks.

radd and ffc65 like this.
  15. ffc65

ffc65 Electromatic

Jan 7, 2015
    London
    You should get hearing aids now....the longer you leave it the harder it will be for your brain to adjust to them.
    I've had hearing aids for about 5 years now(I'm 55 now) but should've got them earlier as my hearing has been deteriorating for decades. My right ear barely works and I have lost nearly all high frequencies in the left so speech is difficult to understand. I've had tinnitus gradually getting worse for 30 years but have now also got pulsatile tinnitus which is like a car alarm going off in time with my heartbeat every waking hour. I also really struggle with pitch perception which makes music not that easy to listen to.

radd likes this.
  16. Nice guitar. It makes orange look good.
    It may not be hearing loss & instead be that yellow nylon guitar cable you’re using. Have you tried another?

Sounds silly, but have you had your ears cleaned?
    I knew a guitar player who thought he was going deaf & the audiologist cleaned his ears to remarkable effect. I made jokes abt it — until it happened to me.

If you mention it during an annual physical, they charge extra.

Are there any earplugs which work well?
    I’ve spent money on “good” ones & it sounds like I’m listening to a transistor radio through an exhaust pipe.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    radd likes this.
  17. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Another part that I learned when I first got my hearing aids is that the consonants in speech are in the 2 kHz-4 kHz frequency range which corresponds to much of the common hearing loss area. That explained why I could hear people speaking but it was difficult to understand what they were saying. Hearing aides can boost those frequencies making speech comprehension easier. If you have or are getting aids work with your audiologist. I find it very interesting to see the various adjustments being made. Freq, volume, response rate, etc. The beauty is that if it doesn't help, they can be reprogramed to try something else for your given needs.

There are several brands of ear plugs that are made for music; they cut the volume but keep frequency response. I worked for an audiologist at a music festival and the sound crews loved them.

The consonant thing is also useful to remember when recording. Mic selection, placement and EQing can help clarify the vocals.

ffc65 and radd like this.
  18. DasherF

DasherF Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    I think I heard that around here too...
    Yeah, I have some kind of sizzle going on in my ears...I tend to like my music so I can feel it (band days thing), including records in headphones. I was involved with dirt track racing for a time in the '70s before mandated racing mufflers...THEY were worth it...
    Racin' and Rock an' Roll!...
    In no particular order!
    A rock hero of mine, Stephen Stills, is said to have only 3% (30?) of his hearing...a family thing.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    radd likes this.
  19. DasherF

DasherF Gretschie

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    I had the opportunity to deal with a deaf cashier who asked me to remove my mask to read my lips...those are the worst mufflers ever...

BrianW and radd like this.
  20. Have you been touring?
    Good tire pressure is essential while on the road.

Never heard (!) of this one. Have you been to a doc for it?

speedicut likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.