Any word on whats replacing the 5120

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by jgw80, Jun 5, 2012.

1. jgw80

jgw80 Newbie

Jun 5, 2012
    Delaware, OH
    So I just found out that the 5120 is being discontinued. My local store has three. Should I be heading down to get one or is there a replacement on the way? The 5420 looks just a little too flashy for me, perhaps its the gold hardware.

2. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The 5420 has chrome hardware and it be replacing the 5120. I believe the 5422 in white has the gold hardware.

3. jgw80

jgw80 Newbie

Jun 5, 2012
    Delaware, OH
    my bad. So the 5420 will be chrome and appears to be the replacement for the 5120. Thank you!

So I should wait for the 5420 to come out then.

4. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Bit of a price bump for the 5420, so if you need to save a hundred bucks or so, pick up one of the remaining 5120s while you still can.

SF

5. jgw80

jgw80 Newbie

Jun 5, 2012
    Delaware, OH
    How much is this price bump? Is it now like $1000 or higher than that?

If its $1000 and not needing so many upgrades then great. Otherwise I might have to think pretty hard about it.

6. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Musician's Friend lists the 5420T for $799, & 5120s for $699 - $749 depending on finish. So it's not a big bump, but might be a consideration. Musician's Friend doesn't yet have any word on what the available finishes are, so there could be a spread in prices when they actually arrive.

7. Roosto

Roosto Gretschie

Wouldn't surprise me if there was a premium for guitars with the gold hardware.

8. dgshooter

dgshooter Country Gent

Oct 18, 2011
    Central MO
    I'd wait and get the new ones. The new pickups, binding and fretboard inlays are well worth the extra $100.

9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    +1 on that, and the playability and build quality is right there with the Pro Series

10. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    Don't take the MF pricing too seriously. Joe Carducci has said the street price will be about $1000, and the list price more like $1400. The guitars are not officially out yet. Sometime between July and August.

11. Anakin2Solo

Anakin2Solo Gretschie

May 3, 2012
    Denver, CO
    I would say it depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. My understanding is Guitar Center has already dropped the price on the 5120s in store. That may make it a better option. If you either prefer the buckers (I don't) or if you plan of installing TVs, Filtertrons or Surf 90s, I say the 5120 is a deal right now. If you want to blacktop filters, if you want the inlay and extra binding, wait for the new one. I like the binding, but prefer the half moon inlay to the new ones. All about your preference.

12. dgshooter

dgshooter Country Gent

Oct 18, 2011
    Central MO
    When I heard it from Joe, I got the impression that the price on the Bass and 12 String would be around 1K and the 6 Strings would be around $800.

13. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    I don't think so. I Epihone Royale range has gold plated hardware and gold sparkle binding, yet they're not expensive at all.

14. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    It's good to get a first-hand report. I happily stand corrected, and hope your impression proves accurate.:eek:

15. Roosto

Roosto Gretschie

Hope you are right about that, I could really go for the Caddy Green w/gold. I just keep think about the individual cost of a gold Bigsby, thus, can't figure how Gretsch could economically offer the gold at the same price level.

16. Anni_Lover

Anni_Lover Synchromatic

Jul 17, 2009
    New Zealand
    They can if it's just 9 carat gold. I don't know about the modern Gretsch guitars, but both the vintage '64 6192 Country Club and 7176 Southern Belle I has were 24 carat gold plated. That's where those metal pickup surrounds and covers on the "blacktop" Filter 'Trons really looked good as well as the B-12 Bigsby.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.