Any violin players here?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Nov 27, 2020.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    My oldest boy started on the cello and moved to the Upright bass, still uses a bow. I bought him a $100 handmade horween leather quiver for his bass so he can move from pizz to arco in a second.. Just a big ass violin more or less :)

2. Butch Ammon

Butch Ammon Gretschie

Jan 3, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    I have my grandmother's heirloom violin from back when she was a concert violinist in NY City back around 1914... 1915... and still has all her concert programs saved in a diary.

I can play violin (self taught), but will never be as good as my grandmother was. Violin is not hard, coming from a guitar standpoint. It's just reversed bass strings if you really think about it.
    Guitar lower strings: E, A, D, G.
    Violin strings: G, D, A, E.
    Once you grasp that concept and the fingerings, it becomes relatively easy, right? ....NOT... The BOW is the main difficulty in playing violin! It can either create a beautiful sound across the strings, or it can squeal, scratch, and sound like two stray cats fighting in someone's backyard.... LOL...

Grammie.Violin.Fixed.jpg

3. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Looks like a lovely instrument. You should probably loosen the hair on the one bow a bit, you don't want to keep tension on the hair when not needed. Also take a clean cotton cloth and wipe the rosin off of the stick too.

I'd hit the case with a brush and vac too, hate to see something so simple to address mess on a nice instrument.

Butch Ammon likes this.
  4. Factotum

Factotum Gretschie

May 7, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    I don't play violin, but have been to String Works to check out cellos and I can attest to the quality of the instruments and the cordial staff. And they have a really sweet shop dog, which in my book always wins brownie points!

Bertotti, MrWookiee and 19MGB76 like this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Does the hair go bad under tension? Or does it affect the bow? How do you know how tight to tighten it back up, by the relief between the bow and the stick? Thanks, I'll go google that stuff now!

6. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
  7. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Hair will stretch over time if left at tension.

Keeping it at tension puts a LOT of pressure on the tip, turning it in to a potential marshmallow stick if it lets go.

A general rule of thumb for tightening your bow for beginners is to put a regular hexagonal (not round) #2 pencil (clean not chewed or oily please) between the stick and the hair at the narrowest point. Tighten the hair until the pencil falls out and you are good to go. The hair and stick should NOT be parallel despite what graphic artists show everywhere, the stick remains curved. Oh and do not touch the hair with your fingers, the oils from your hand will make it useless for bowing. On a crappy bow - fiberglass with fiberglass hair student stuff - you can very gently lightly shampoo the hair to get it back to holding rosin, but only on the cheap stuff. You do not want your nice bow to get oily or wet.

8. 19MGB76

19MGB76 Gretschie

Jul 31, 2018
    Minnesota
    Double bridges like this give the whammy bar a new significance.

MrWookiee likes this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Well, it shipped today. Should be here Saturday then a day wait for climate change. Chicago is generally more humid than South Dakota even if I am only 6-7 miles from Minnesota it is just dry here. Kids don't even seem to notice it isn't here yet. Maybe they think I will wrap it for Christmas as a family present, and I probably should but I hate to not check it after shipping at the very least. Fingers crossed. I know they spent some time setting it up and trying different bows from the line I choose to try and find one that matched my tastes based on clips I sent them so we will see just how this turns out. I am very optimistic.

MrWookiee likes this.
  10. Finnish Swede

Finnish Swede Electromatic

Sep 17, 2020
    Finland / Ostrobothnia
    Never played violin. Too difficult instrument :). I took piano lessons as I was kid. Also saxophone could have interested on me (for some reasons). But I chose guitar.

But this is pretty nice composition (made by Finnish Swede man and violist woman here is also Finnish Swede). Violin sounds nice in talented hands...

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Finnish Swede

Finnish Swede Electromatic

Sep 17, 2020
    Finland / Ostrobothnia
    What comes violin playing ... this Japanese woman is pretty amazing :).

Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  12. Kylisher

Kylisher Electromatic

Mar 14, 2021
    Toronto
    I have not heard that the violin is so famous in Geneva. I was told that playing the cello is popular in Geneva. My friend has been living in Geneva for twenty years. She said that when she was there for about a month, all her new friends played the cello. Soon, she decided to learn to play the cello herself and ordered an instrument at https://www.stradviolin.com/rentals/. I was shocked because as long as I've known my friend, she hated classical music. Then she moved to Geneva and started playing the cello.

MrWookiee likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.