Any Strat players leave the bridge floating?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by 5120mantis, May 4, 2021.

1. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I keep my Floyds and Edges floating (kinda by default with recessed rout), but never really got on well with floating Strats. I really dig the Jeff Beck warble, I use that trick all the time on my Floyd types. The only times I ever tried setting up a six-screw Strat to float, I had trouble getting it set up to return to zero accurately and consistently. The only other guitar that ever gave me any grief about floating is my RS440, the Pro Rock'r bridge is notorious for binding, but works pretty well decked.

-m

Medium John and 5120mantis like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep on my Albert Lee which is strat-like.

Tony65x55 and 5120mantis like this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    I decked or blocked all my Strats for 30+ years, and then a couple of years ago I decided to wrestle with the issue and see what I could do. And now my two top Strats are floating quite well.

Medium John and 5120mantis like this.
  4. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    Yes, all 3 of my Strats have the bridge floating. I have no trouble with tuning stability. I stretch each new string until it finally stays in tune after being stretched.

5120mantis likes this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I deck mine....

5120mantis likes this.
  6. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Yeah my other strat is blocked

JC higgy likes this.
  7. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Mine is floating, guitar stays in tune better than any guitar I have ever had shockingly. Hardly use the tremolo though, but still can go a week without touching a tuning peg.

MIM Player Strat

5120mantis likes this.
  8. FiveAces

FiveAces Gretschie

Mar 1, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    3 Strats and they are all 3-springers & lightly decked. As much as I've tried floating them, it's my preferred choice (which BTW I have no problem setting them up and working great!)
    I am most comfortable resting my palm on the bridge which in itself will cause pitch change. The other issue being string bends that detunes the other strings. Of course, break a string and all goes out of tune. But keeping them lightly decked allows me to drop pitch and since I don't even do that much, it works for me. And I've never detected a significant difference in sustain or tone from floating vs decked!
    As opposed to my Gretsch guitars... all with Bigsbys, the design allows me to rest my palm just behind the bridge, and no pitch change. String bends don't seem to affect tuning. But unfortunately, a string break still will screw it up.
    In all cases, their tuning remains very stable, but it becomes a choice on how I prefer to use them...

Play on....

5120mantis likes this.
  9. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Floating for my whole herd of Strats and two Albert Lees and a Comanche. I played with my old Strat decked for almost 3 decades before I learned how to set up a Strat term. Now I wouldn't want it any other way.

5120mantis likes this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Mine are decked. I'm afraid I never learned how to really use the vibrato. I rather listened to BB King and learned how to do it his way;)

5120mantis likes this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Floater here.

5120mantis likes this.
  12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Both of mine are floaters.

5120mantis likes this.
  13. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Deck for me, that's only because if I look at my trem the wrong way...it goes out of tune, ha!

new6659 and 5120mantis like this.
  14. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I'm a big bender and fretting hand vibrato guy, and a floater negatively affects all of that. I'm a decker.

new6659 and 5120mantis like this.
  15. Steveee

Steveee Electromatic

Feb 5, 2021
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Been using Strats for almost 45 years and those bridges have all floated- never had issues. If Leo meant the bridge to wiggle, then that's how it should be.

16. spoxehub

spoxehub Newbie

Apr 16, 2021
    UK
    Another floater here. And also my first post.

17. Iansheridan1978

Iansheridan1978 Electromatic

Feb 19, 2021
    Surrey
    I float with 3 springs.... IMG_20201231_193705111.jpg

Medium John likes this.
  18. Stratiner

Stratiner Electromatic

Float on a couple, decked on one. No real differeence I can tell.

19. cpk313

cpk313 Newbie

Feb 20, 2020
    Used to float, it does sound different then decked to me. Went from 4 to 5 springs but ended up decking it as I am a infrequent user of the trem bar but bend often with my fingers and floating bridge made it impossible for me to attempt to hit pitch. The more I'd bend with my fingers the more the bridge moved, once that started to happened with 5 springs I was out.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.