Any Strat experts out there? I need some buying advice. Don't delay, time running out.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YaDaddy, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Stratiner

Stratiner Electromatic

I have an MN5 LPB strat. No gap like that. I do, however, have an 80s copy that after a lot of experiments, has a gap like that at the neck. Seems like a lot wrong with that one. And a lot of mystery. Stainless frets? And he just *thinks* they SS? Um no. THe s/n on mine appears to have two different fonts, the MN5 part, then the number in the run. And 450? Um no. Mine was priced at 350 and hung on the store's wall for a year. I got for $250. Of course that was 5 years ago or so. BUt no real reason to pay 450 for a bunch of mystery.

2. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Unfortunately, I'm a "nothing short of exactly what I want will do" kind of collector.

I just want one legit strat to complement my Parker Nightfly and I promise I will not have a Strat collection unlike when I was going to just buy one Epiphone Les Paul and ended up with five.

GlenP, Randy99CL and Bertotti like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sure! Do you need the 800 to guitar anonnymous?

4. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Mystery indeed! I was feeling way too much mystery in that laundromat, but the cavernous gap around the neck was all I really needed to see. Twas worth it, though as it set me on the right track. That trip pro;;y saved my a good bit of time, trouble and cash that I would've invested in the wrong guitar.

Your MN5 would've been preferred as it represents the year following the Mexico operation getting their act together and putting out instruments that were soundly constructed.

Stratiner likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I never understood the MIM hate but it seems there was certainly a low point in their production. Mine came with hot tex mex pups and they sound great. The tone they have remind me of Stevie Ray Vaughn, now the man behind the guitar sounds nothing like that, he's such a beginner.

MentalTossFlycoon likes this.
  6. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    What year? I got the same in 1996 and loved it because it scratched the SRV itch.......especially when every year I could afford it, I found that Fender had raised the price which put me outside my tight budget.

I eventually grabbed the SRV model in '07 so the MIM Tex-Mex hasn't seen much action since. Great guitar but loud buzz. I think I'll bring it back into the family though by making a pickup switch that with get me into James Wilsey tone territory. That and a good stereo reverb (Oceans12, Strymon, etc...) should bring it all together nicely.

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    It was the Blizzard Pearl 60th anniversary MIM strat. I got it for fathers day in 2006, I think. That is a replacement neck the original with the Anni slug in the headstock took such a bad forward bow it was unplayable. I couldn't correct it even with a neck press, I did save it, but I miss the aged finish on it. I also found it odd how the pickguard aged nicely but the knobs and pickup covers stayed white. Oh and I just love my Strymon BigSky, a bit expensive but I can spend hours just relaxing into the tweaking I can do with it. Of course, that isn't making me a better player but it is relaxing and fun.
    IMG_9304 (1).jpeg IMG_6968 (2).jpeg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Mark 6120, NJDevil, new6659 and 2 others like this.
  8. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Oh yeah that and more as you will find out here soon. Hypocrisy abounds, here!
    (but I really can quit whenever I want.)

9. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    That is absolutely STUNNING! Great color palette to blend with the forced colors of the maple neck.

I actually like the contrast of the controls to the PG. They could be toned down a bit, but it works.

Bertotti likes this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I bought a new one. I got lucky and my favorite color was on sale but every review I've found of the latest MIM Strats has been fantastic.
    GC still has a couple on sale until tomorrow. $599, how can you resist?

11. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    OK I was at a local store called Ken Stanton today (Been around forever. Great store and staff.) and they just happened to have all three of the current Fender blues in stock. What a great opportunity to photograph the three blues in the same basic light for a relative comparison.

Here is a study in Fender blue shades:

IMG_4270.jpg

IMG_4268.jpg

IMG_4267.jpg

IMG_4269.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

IMG_4262.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

12. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    This is the way I see it.

Ice Blue Metallic - Blue with a substantial grey tint.
    Tidepool Blue - Blue with a slight grey/green tint.
    Lake Placid Blue - Straight up Medium Blue.

I think the original target from yesterday was an Agave Blue Strat. Tidepool Blue is damn close if not the essential renamed replacement for AB.

References from the web all labeled as Agave Blue: (The pic at the bottom is the spitting image of exactly what I saw yesterday. In brighter light I bet it would be an exact match.)

https://reverb.com/item/29883141-1993-fender-stratocaster-body-agave-blue-mim-strat-tremolo-bridge

https://reverb.com/item/514565-fender-stratocaster-2003-agave-blue

https://reverb.com/item/29883141-19...r-body-caribean-mist-mim-strat-tremolo-bridge

iu-2.jpeg

iu-4.jpeg

iu-3.jpeg

That's the one right there, complete with pearloid PG.

Bertotti likes this.
  13. Finnish Swede

Finnish Swede Electromatic

Sep 17, 2020
    Finland / Ostrobothnia
    My only Fender Stratocaster is that white one on the right. It is exactly MIM.
    [​IMG][/url]

(I hava Squier Strats and other strat type of guitars)

thunder58 likes this.
  14. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    I think I nailed it and solved the fender blue color mystery, SO.......

....to celebrate I bought this Olympic White 2014 Mexican from Sam Ash. I saw it late late last night (on their horribly slow used website) when I should've been asleep, but gotta research and shop. It was a recent posting and I didn't think it would last, so I thought I would take another look in the AM. I ended up waiting until late this afternoon and it was still there, so that must mean it's mine. I mean if nobody else is gonna snatch it up.
    It's used like new. The Old lady that only drove it on Sunday thing. Did my due diligence with the guys at the San Diego store and they say it looks like somebody bought it and never took it out of the case. Got the guitar tech there to go over it for me and it checked out great with good fretwork on a fully glossed (a bonus in my book) well shaped neck. He checked the electronics and found no super noisey scratchy stuff going on. Good tolerance on the neck pocket with no cracks on the body there.
    Comes with an original Fender branded HSC for $499. Shipping was a stoopid cheap $20.
    Not quite a steal, but a dang good deal.

If it's all a fantasy or I change my mind I can return it to my local Sam Ash store or hell, at that price, flip it locally for a few more sheckles than I paid. It could scratch the Strat itch until I get the blue Strat I envision in the herd and then sell it off to balance out. Nothing, but options there.

And I can still quit...WHENEVER...I WANT!! SHUT UP, Y'ALL!!!

It is beautiful and it was on my list any way. Maybe I'll have a two legit Strat collection. LOL
    A definite happy ending to my Guit-tale.

NGD inbound!

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 6.16.38 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 6.18.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 6.17.28 PM.png

JC higgy, Uncle Daddy, G5422T and 5 others like this.
  15. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    What a co-inky-dink!

You must have heard me typing.

We're like twins! LOL

16. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Nice. I love a happy ending...:D

17. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yeah! Looks like a nice guitar for a good price!

18. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Yeah, what...70 bucks more than the BS seller wanted for his defective, beat up strat with nice pickups and maybe stainless steel frets? A testament too if it don’t feel right throw it back, there’s a better fish meant for you coming along any minute.

Randy99CL likes this.
  19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    And a great testament to buying from an actual, trustworthy dealer! You can trust it is legit and if you ever want to sell it you have a receipt that verifies that (at one time LOL) it is/was real. Oh well.
    But yes, a great guitar you will probably keep forever!

20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I used to have an Agave Blue Strat, now I have a Lake Placid Blue, a Daphne Blue, a Miami Blue and a custom blue. The Agave was a really nice guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.