Any Strat experts out there? I need some buying advice. Don't delay, time running out.

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by YaDaddy, Feb 15, 2021.

1. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Got a lot minute meet for this one and I'm short on the Stratocaster learning curve. Maybe you can advise me?

Fender Stratocaster 1993-94 Mexico production with fender bag and whammy bar. Has some dings on the neck. Supposed to have three DiMarzzio single coils installed and has been refretted with Stainless steel. Buyer wants Foe Fitty.

I've read the 91 and 92 MIM strats were relatively poor examples with not so good PUPs and poor fitting neck cavities, but this one should be just at the turn around for production quality for Made in Mexico.

Anything else I need to be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any input.

7EE414FD-47C3-4850-B3D5-B0AE9A4C4224.jpeg DD964423-2DC1-485F-BA7C-0C855BD867C7.jpeg 683379EF-D33C-4CAE-B20F-A0E697C4103B.jpeg

2. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Can’t answer any of that, but I really dig that one!

3. 67rayson

67rayson Electromatic

Jan 9, 2021
    play it!
    not a bad price

Jena likes this.
  4. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Yeah, not a bad price. I’d rather pay 400, but the upgrades if they’re legit make 450 fair.

Jena likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep, good price but check the neck. I had one with a forward bow that I was unable to fix, no dialing it out with humidification, truss rod, or neck press. I had to replace the neck and at 200$ that adds significantly to the cost.

6. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Standard procedure for me, but yeah I might want to take a tool to see if the trussed turns at all.

Jena and Bertotti like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Have you played it? That should answer your questions.
    It looks good, and seems to be 'right'.
    Fo fiddy ain't a bad deal with the upgrades.

Jena likes this.
  8. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    YD.

If you're personal commerce can bear it, and you'd consider a Strat that is not a Fender, check out ''Humbucker Guitars'' and look at the ''Nash'' relic Strats.

They currently have a ''Gilmour'' spec Black Strat with a Nash Custom alligator case for $2000. This custom piece will always hold its value, and will likely climb in value, a $450. Mexican Strat...not so much.

Best,

BIB.

9. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    driving north for the meet to check it out right now. That’s the reason for the last minute thread to gain knowledge.

wabash slim likes this.
  10. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Well, $450 is a decent price if they won't take less. I have a Mexi Strat that I would put up against American made Strats any day.

Jena likes this.
  11. Personal Gsus

Personal Gsus Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Atlanta
    Saw that one recently and thought it was a good deal – not finding the ad now, did you buy it?

There's also a '95 tuxedo in Conyers that looks like a pretty good deal as well @ $428.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    MrWookiee likes this.
  12. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Nice Color, to me MIM strats are $300, but those days are gone I guess and it has pickup upgrade from the ceramic MIM ones. . Hard to say if the fret job is any good though... ask if he did it himself maybe?
    Does it have the trapezoid shaped tuner gear housings on the back?

13. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    If the neck is OK, then it's a good deal.

14. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    I have a 04-05 MIM and it's been the first guitar i reach for for the past 2 months, i decided to reward it with cream pickup covers and knobs 20210212_170848.jpg

new6659, gtttrrr and thunder58 like this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I was never much of a Stat guy , sorry I can't help . Best with the decision

5120mantis likes this.
  16. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Driving home right now with interesting story to share. Stay tuned!

Jena, Tele295 and 5120mantis like this.
  17. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

Don’t worry - we will.

18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I love Strats! Always have always will and my MIM will hold its own against a lot of USA ones.

Jena and NJDevil like this.
  19. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    I just got back and after I left the meet...I wanted to say that it was worth the trip, but after that dangerous ass drive back in the rain and all the wrecks, I almost had, I don’t really think it was.

I learned two important thing from the trip:

1. A laundromat is a great place for a used guitar sale meet.

2. I WANT A BLUE STRAT WITH A MAPLE NECK AND PEARLOID PICKGUARD!!!

That’s definitely the combo for me. I like it so much more than the surf green strat I was shopping for yesterday and fortunately was foiled in getting. (See my next thread for that story.) The guitar I saw today had a fine looking neck, It played great, felt great, was set up great and sounded great, but not for Fough Fiddy. Knowing that it was a ’93 marked neck it could have been the tail end of the initial bad stuff coming out of Mexico in the early 91 - ’93 period or could possibly have been part of the good production that began in late ’94. Well the significant gap to the body on either side of the neck meant it was the tail end of the bad stuff and that killed it for me. The widespread dings in the body didn’t help either. No real wood showing, but there were more than I cared to even count. I'm not into the relic thing. I likes me some new looking guitars.

I’m sure it would’ve been a fine beater for someone, but I don’t do beaters. I might…MIGHT have given him sub $300 for it, but he wouldn’t have taken it and I didn’t haggle with him at all. I just told him I can’t do it. He said that when he marks it available again there would be all sorts of people trying to buy it and I said “Do it.” I was actually the 2nd buyer to turn it down. The story with the first guy was that he decided he wanted something with a Floyd Rose. This after 2 days of meeting him to buy. Hmmmm.

I could’ve asked about the gap before hand, but the seller wasn’t always very forthcoming about my pointed questions about the guitar’s condition. In our commo thread there were a lot of vague answers and some just ignored. From the pics it was obvious that the neck had damage to the headstock and he owned up to dings on the back of the neck that you couldn’t see in the pics after I asked, but my questions about the body were met with responses like “It’s a player man, not a collector.” Also, it urns out he didn’t really know that it had been refretted with stainless steel frets he just thinks it was. The frets could have been stainless and they looked pretty bright to me, but he was just guessing and I don’t really know what stainless frets look like. It probably had upgraded PUPs, but after seeing the guitar and knowing how much the seller had avoided telling me I was like sorry for taking your time, bye & GLWS!

I knew I was rolling the dice going up there, but if it had worked out it would’ve been a deal. Gotta take some shots in this game.

Oh and see...I CAN QUIT WHENEVER I WANT!!! LOL

20. YaDaddy

YaDaddy Gretschie

Mar 16, 2020
    Marietta, GA
    Nope, passed on it. See the story above.

Yeah I saw that Tuxedo in Conyers, but I have a thing with strats that look like "Oh here's this cool guitar and MnuhH THERE! we stuck a big piece of raw wood on it. It's always bothered me. The neck and the body need a color combo that blend well, so lighter colors on the body that are closer to the tone of the wood on the neck work best for me. Buttercream, White, Gold, Blue, Daphne, surf green for Maple necks and whatever for rosewood necks. I don't really like rosewood neck strats for the color combo issues.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.