Any one have the TVJones Staroowds in their Telcaster

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by 5120mantis, Sep 12, 2020.

1. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    been watching clips on YouTube about them, seems TV use some dynasonic components for them. Just wondering what someone i "talk" to on a regar basis thinks of them, a 5 o 6 minute video is helpful as a generalization, but how have you got on with them long term.
    TV Jones Rep definetly speaks for itself as far as quality and tone it's always good to hear opinions though.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    They’re killer!
    E963708F-8675-42AD-9327-C5A4A1C211EF.jpeg

It took me a little while to warm up the bridge pickup, but that’s cuz the neck pickup is so amazing. It was hard for anything to compare. Now I have them balanced just right, and I realize the bridge pickup is also a killer!
    I had to replace it for a little while to realize how great it was. It has twang, but it’s got a fat sound. Well, fat for a tele bridge pickup.

They do have dearmond tone qualities, but these are certainly tele pickups. Just with more boom and maybe more clarity.

3. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Mmm yeah, i love my dynas in the duo jet, but i was worried the starwoods might be too dynasonic like.
    Right now i got a gfs in the neck and i belive its a dimarzio bridge, not sure if its area 52, i had a classic vibe with a duncan broad caster in the bridge at one point.

4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am interested to hear as well. Thinking of using them in my Albert Lee with a TV sttat or tele neck in the middle.

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I have a 5420T with T-Armonds and it sounds VERY very different, and not just because it’s a hollowbody.
    They are different pickups. Wound differently.
    They are definitely a hybrid of classic tele and Dyna boom.
    Of course I sound the same no matter what guitar I play.

Merc and 5120mantis like this.
  6. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    Seconded, wholeheartedly.

calebaaron666 and 5120mantis like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I want to say @BorderRadio has a bridge one in his Offset Tele. At least he did last I checked.

BorderRadio and 5120mantis like this.
  8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I don't have the Starwood Tele pickups but I do have a set of special order single coil pickups that TVJ made for a Spectra Sonic which I understand to be similar. They are fantastic. Make my StewMac kit Tele sound as good as a big buck Tele.

5120mantis likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, still have that guitar and pickup, combined with a Mr. 2000 neck Dyna-clone. I also had a Starwood bridge in my B16 Tele with a Gretsch Dyna in the neck.

I basically tried every Tele pickup I had on hand, and a few Cavalier bridge pickups to match the wallop that a neck Dyna delivers in a solid body guitar. The only thing that could keep up was the Starwood. Lots of punch, still twangs--it really is one of my favorites.

7B2F1A11-532D-4775-B7B9-4F293D135839.jpeg EE8ACB2F-FCB3-4A48-8AFF-2A2ABAE6C4C3.jpeg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.