Any love for electric 12 strings?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by stardustudios, Feb 19, 2020.

1. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    This guy plays an acoustic 12 with a magnetic sound hole pickup,
    https://www.richardgilewitz.com/
    finger style like Loe Kottke.

For me the holy grail of acoustic 12 strings is the Guild Jumbo, but a little beyond my budget.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Frank_NH, stardustudios and thunder58 like this.
  2. stardustudios

stardustudios Electromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    Never seen those before but it's kinda cool. I guess part of the journey in finding the right one is getting to play a bunch of others along the way. I liked my Italia Rimini with its P90s but it wasn't 'the one'. And boy was it a headache when it came to changing strings! rimini.jpg

3. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    [QUOTE=" But of coarse I was at the Martin Factory where my buddy set me up there with a Martin rep who handed me a $3000 12 string and I couldn't resist :rolleyes:
    [/QUOTE]

If there was a guitar factory anywhere near where I lived I'd have to take a job there or it would cost me a fortune! :D
    I've not touched my acoustics in quite a while having taken a loooong time to embrace electrics, however I used to have a Yamaha 12 that I liked but sold it to a friend. I just passed up a mint condition Falcon 12 on eBay that ended up going for £417 (about 540 U.S.) partly because I found myself with bids placed on 2 Pro Jets (I thought my highest bid on the 1st one for sure wouldn't be enough, so I bid on a 2nd. Of course I ended up winning the 1st & can't rescind my bid on the 2nd. In about 90 mins I may own a silver G5435T to go with my Candy Apple Red one!)
    I've never even seen a Ric in person myself either. I guess they're rare beasts in the countries I find myself living in. One day though...

thunder58 likes this.
  4. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    My first Gretsch is a G5422G-12 in black. Had it one week and ordered a G5422TG in snow crest white to go with it, then had to have a G5420T in aspen green. See the trend here. Also had to buy a G5435 and a G5230T to cover the Jet itch.
    I also have a Martin D12-20 slotted head and a Gibson B-12-25. My 15 year old grand-daughter absolutely loves the Gretsch 12 string. Lots of love for 12 strings here.

GlenP and stardustudios like this.
  5. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    GlenP likes this.
  6. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    If they made the G5422T-12s in white, I think this whole thread would have been unnecessary.
    I got a G5435TG just a few days ago after leaving my Double Jet with a friend in Serbia. Glad I did too. What a great guitar! At the moment, GAS for me just means Gretsch Acquisition Syndrome! :D

GlenP likes this.
  7. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Love electric 12,i've been playing one for about 33 years now.

First one i had was an 80's Hondo Fame 760/12 ,like this one.
    [​IMG]

Then i sold and traded my way to my first Rickenbacker,which i still have ,and i will never sell.
    1989 Rickenbacker 360/12V64,this guitar has been by my side since i bought it brand new back in 1989!
    [​IMG]

I would love a Gretsch 12 ,but also like that new Fender 12 with the hockey stick head,in that lake Placid Blue!

I haven't played the latest Gretsch 5422 12's yet,i did get a chance at one when they first came out and thought they were nice,and if it's good enough for Kelly Jones.....
    [​IMG]

thunder58, new6659 and stardustudios like this.
  8. Cassotto

Cassotto Gretschie

Jun 16, 2019
    Spain
    I've always thought I'd love to have a Rickenbacker 360/12 V64, but most probably I never will. I need to learn to play a 6-string guitar first, and if I carry on at my present learning rate, Alzheimer's and arthritis will have won the game before I am ready for one.

I've heard great things said of the Burns Double Six guitar (http://www.burnsguitars.com/doublesix.php). I knew about it before a friend of mine played one, only once, and he said that it was a great guitar, nice to play and with a good sound, and that its only drawback is that it was too heavy.

JC higgy and stardustudios like this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    thunder58, stardustudios and JC higgy like this.
  10. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    Ah, I've loved the 'phonics since they first came out of the Valleys! Didn't know our Kelly played one. Might be going to see them in July, be nice to see if he brings it with him. ;)
    This thread made me remember I was checking out Duesenberg 12's a while back & sorta fell for the Double Cat. Don't see many for sale mind you & I doubt there's any in Wales. duesenberg-double-cat-12-string-186319.jpg

thunder58, GlenP and JC higgy like this.
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    My cousin had a lovely playing Burns Double Six,yes it was a bit on the weighty side and was ugly as sin in it's green burst,but it was a lovely guitar and sounded very nice,i would still consider one myself despite the looks.

12. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    I saw one for sale a while back, going for a song & I've also heard good things about them. I'm not sold on the looks though. Maybe in the right colour but they always seems to be in colours I don't find eye-catching & I know that might seem shallow, but I've always found that I pick up a guitar a lot more often if I like the looks of it as well as the sound.
    (there's actually a BD6 on eBay right now going for £650 if you fancy pulling the trigger on one!)

13. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    If there was a guitar factory anywhere near where I lived I'd have to take a job there or it would cost me a fortune! :D
    I've not touched my acoustics in quite a while having taken a loooong time to embrace electrics, however I used to have a Yamaha 12 that I liked but sold it to a friend. I just passed up a mint condition Falcon 12 on eBay that ended up going for £417 (about 540 U.S.) partly because I found myself with bids placed on 2 Pro Jets (I thought my highest bid on the 1st one for sure wouldn't be enough, so I bid on a 2nd. Of course I ended up winning the 1st & can't rescind my bid on the 2nd. In about 90 mins I may own a silver G5435T to go with my Candy Apple Red one!)
    I've never even seen a Ric in person myself either. I guess they're rare beasts in the countries I find myself living in. One day though...[/QUOTE]
    And don't let me forget any of those beautiful double necks too

stardustudios likes this.
  15. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I really ike my Gretsch 5422-12 and gig it regularly. It is a great guitar. At the moment it is at my luthier's shop having a new nut installed that will place the natural string first - instead of the octave - like a Ric. We'll see how it turns out but apparently it will make the guitar sound more Rickenbacker-ish.

thunder58, stardustudios and GlenP like this.
  16. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    We absolutely love them.
    We have a G5422-12, a Falcon Rancher 12 string, an Ovation 6/12 dual neck, (kind of a heavy beast), a Giannini Craviola 12 string, a Taylor 150e, Taylor 654ce, and a 12 string strat.

The G5422-12 is a versatile guitar that can play rock, country, blues and classical.

thunder58, new6659 and GlenP like this.
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I know that I shared this before, but this is my son playing his Falcon Rancher. It sounds great plugged in, but since the finish is so thick, and my son plays a light finger style, (not heavy handed like the old man), he uses this plugged in. His Taylor 12-strings have a thin finishes, and project well unplugged. The Taylor 150e is about the same price, but honestly, you should play both them before making a purchase decision.

JC higgy, Frank_NH, Alanqa and 3 others like this.
  18. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    Nice playing! :) Those Giannini Craviola 12 strings are things of beauty. Doubtful I'll see one in any stores remotely near to me unfortunately. A man can dream though...

19. stardustudios

Feb 17, 2020
    Wales
    That was the one thing I didn't really like so much about my Italia Rimini. It never occurred to me to switch out the nut on it. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get around to deciding which 12 to go for. Hope it works out well for yours!

20. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Thank you for being so kind. I don't know of any other person who knew anything about a Giannini Craviola.
    In this country, they were not popular, the harp like sound was unique, and they were well balanced making them easy to play. We took one in on trade, performed a set up, and it sat for over a year. The shop owner was tired of it sitting on the wall with people asking "What is THAAAT", so he decided to give my son a deal on it, since my son was intrigued by the looks and sound.
    My son was not allowed to play a guitar in church....maybe they thought that it would burn down? His choir director had him play that Giannini behind the choir, later the pastor came up and said that he would like to thank the harpist, it was beautiful. When the choir director pointed out the kid with the "goofy guitar", he was shocked. He told him that since you loved it so much, will you allow the guitar? After that my son was a regular thanks to that Giannini.

new6659, Groutsch and stardustudios like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice