Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Any hockey fans out there? Playoffs are close!

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Jonbass, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Jonbass

Jonbass Gretschie

Oct 10, 2016
    Yukon
    I have been an Edmonton Oilers fan since I was a kid and my sister used to sneak me in to the Coliseum to watch practices.
    I got a chance to take my son to a game this spring break when I was down in Edmonton. They clinched a playoff spot!
    Who's your team?

houndman55 likes this.
  2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Friend of Fred

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN

I was looking at the standings recently. Both Edmonton & Calgary are in. Toronto too!

The Wild have been stumbling of late, hopefully they right the ship in the playoffs It would be embarrassing to lose to the Blues with Mike Yeo as their coach.

3. houndman55

houndman55 Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2014
    Sweden
    Vita Hästen (White Horse) in Östergötland, Sverige (Sweden).

Jonbass likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    My team's playing great hockey now that they've been eliminated.

Can't wait 'til next year!

Jonbass likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Gretschified

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    ' come on ! Who's my team ? You're askin' this new yawka ?

Jonbass likes this.
  7. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Leafs. Who have not clinched yet. 5 games this week, and still can choke. Big head to head Thursday against Tampa Bay. You pay for the whole seat but only need the edge.

Which reminds me, my wife was downtown Toronto yesterday working with some Americans. At some point, a few of them we're thinking they'd just pop over and see the Leafs/Capitals game, you know, for something to do that night. LOL newsflash: EVERY game is sold out. And the scalpers would just ask you to sign a blank cheque.

8. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    That's the way it will be with the new Las Vegas team, all ten hockey fans in Vegas will get a ticket when ever they want. No way that's a success.

9. Mario26

Mario26 Electromatic

I bleed Black and Gold. Bruins have played well the last couple of weeks so hopefully they can sneak in.

[​IMG]

10. Jonbass

Jonbass Gretschie

Oct 10, 2016
    Yukon
    I was a fan of Dubnyk when he was in Edmonton. Can't be a good goalie when there is no defence. I felt bad for him. Confidence is everything for a goalie.

11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My loyalties lie here since childhood....

[​IMG]

but I also cheer for the hometown team--

[​IMG]

12. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    My guess would be they'll fill the stadium with tourists. I have lots of friends that do Vegas for fun and/or business. I can see them all catching an NHL game every time they go. People drive from here to Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, and Pittsburgh to catch games. Although maybe that's not a good business plan.

13. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    He's been very good overall, but not like he was that first year with Minnesota.

Jonbass likes this.
  14. drmilktruck

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I assume that's part of the plan, but that's not really sustainable. You need a large committed season ticket holder base. Las Vegas is not a very large city or TV market. The novelty will wear off soon enough. There were much better options - Quebec City, a second team in the Toronto area, Seattle, Kansas City, Houston. Bettman has been obsessed with putting teams in Sun Belt cities. Sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't. But in the end it's all about upfront money and Vegas gave it to them. (The Oakland Raiders fans are discovering the same thing. )

15. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    “When I started the Kings, I was told there were a quarter-million ex-Canadians in L.A. Now I know why they left Canada. They hate hockey.” - Jack Kent Cooke

The Raiders are going to kill the Knights. The moment they were announced they dropped hockey to the back pages.

They have two years to win a cup.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  16. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Looks like the Wings won't make the playoffs after a 25 year streak.

17. Jonbass

Jonbass Gretschie

Oct 10, 2016
    Yukon
    I have been so impressed with how Detroit has developed players through their system to consistently put out winning teams. Good management and coaching.

I'm not convinced that the NHL is interested in growing hockey outside the US. I think it will be a long time before another team comes to Canada. The main areas that could support a team (Ontario/Quebec) are also close to already established teams and those established teams don't want competition. I'm also not convinced that there is an appetite for hockey in the US with all the other competing pro and college sports. How can you keep Phoenix going as it bleeds money?
    Someone told me that the arena was the big deal maker for Las Vegas. The city needed a venue that size for concerts and events so a hockey team is just another way to fill it. It will probably have something going on every night of the year and hockey will only make up a small part. 41 home games.

18. Dostegrar

Dostegrar Country Gent

Nov 5, 2013
    Delta,b.c.
    Of course. Go islanders!!
    My team has decided to rest up for next year. Sigh...Canucks.

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Jonbass

Jonbass Gretschie

Oct 10, 2016
    Yukon
    Haha! When my son wants to get under my skin, he tells me he's a Canucks fan. Oh well... I have another son....

Dostegrar likes this.
  20. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Gretschie

May 1, 2014
    Whitby Ontario
    I would think it would be obvious....

21. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Country Gent

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Oshawa Generals fan?:D:D:D

GoLeafsGo and JHowdy like this.