Any gamers here?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I've been a really big gamer at times (biggest in the mid-late 90s). Love the old school RPGs, turn based strategy/tactics/4x, simulators/management games, driving games, some shooters, etc. It's much more sporadic in the last decade or so, but I can still get pretty sucked in by some of them for a week or 2 at a time.

Mostly a PC guy here (although I do have an original Xbox & PS2, an XBox 360 & PS3, & an Xbox One S in the house) & ~85% of anything I've picked up in the past few years has been indies.

Actually just spun up SW:TOR again for the first time in ~7 years to run around w/ my nephew virtually this past weekend.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Loved Oni, really cool context switch between person & mech, fun gameplay, & the cell shaded look was perfect IMO.

I had an MP server I left up a fair bit, ran good to my recollection on Windows 98/2000.
    Hopefully this comes to PC sometime sooner than later...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    GlenP and Ricochet like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Sucked in is a good way to put it. I can go almost a year then the itch hits and I’ll game non stop for a few weekends then I’m done again.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  4. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm an avid gamer. That is, if you could Candy Crush, Angry Birds, etc.

I played my share of Super Mario Bros. about 30 years ago, then Donkey Kong and Sonic about 20 years ago. Since then, pretty much nothing but time wasters on my phone.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yep, its been fun. A bit out my wheel house because it actually requires hand eye coordination and quick responses. I'm less likely to fall asleep playing it though.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Ricochet like this.
  6. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Waaaay back in the late 80s my best friend and I would spend literally 12 hours with beer, cigarettes, small TV and play Final Fantasy. We were in college, and well...we should have been studying. A few years later in a house we rented with about 5 others, including girlfriends (!) we got into AD&D...again, with beer and cigarettes. He and I had been into AD&D eons before in grade school, when there were serious concerns about kids killing themselves over it because their character got killed. Remember that in the late 70s? My mom expressed concerns , so I just told her I had tried it once or twice and it was just a dice-rolling game. BTW, I now own 5 honest-to-god swords and a mace. My best friend eventually scored a chainmail shirt, a really cool scimitar, and a viking spear point on an 8 foot piece of ash. Watching episodes of 'Big Bang Theory' when they played AD&D brought back many many memories.
    After I got a PC I was huge into CFS2 (Combat Flight Simulator 2 Pacific Theater), and even had a squadron with about 5-7 other guys for about 7 years. I got more into realistic flying so left and still really enjoy FSX even though it's more than 10 years old. Like a guitar it's tweakable- I've 'built' maybe 6 planes and helicopters and made my local airport dead-spot-on accurate, down to the buildings and runway textures and such, and use photo-real scenery. As far as I know my old squadron mates are still at it, but they switched to tank battles.

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    We played Palladium, which was like D&D with less rules and books. We would have like 24 hour game sessions camping out at friends over weekends. I played some Magic cards a bit but it's an expensive habit.

8. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've been a PC gamer for the most part, never was big on platform machines.

I enjoy all types, strategy games, historic wargaming, 1st person shooters, RPG's, etc. I've been a big Civilization VI player for the past year or so.

9. Ando

Ando Synchromatic

Aug 7, 2013
    Seoul
    I still enjoy immersing myself the in the storylines of SWTOR, set thousands of years before the Star Wars movie series. The combat action and graphics aren't particularly good, but it's a great way to put yourself in the shoes of the 12 year old you used to be, and there are months and months of story content to enjoy, with romance options and some fantastic lightside/darkside choices to determine your alignment and relationship with your companions.

My current Sith Warrior exactly doesn't speak with an RP-inflused Brummie accent (The voice actor is actually rather "Galactic Empire neutral" with an RP background) , but he nonetheless looks like Nick Rhodes...and is named as such ;)

I reckon I could have also named him David Sylvian.

[​IMG]

michelb and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  10. BoundandPurfled

BoundandPurfled Gretschie

Mar 22, 2012
    Oregon
    Ps4 here. Playing Ghost of Tsushima. like to crossover my interests, and like to plug in my Gretsch into my ps4 and play Rocksmith

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Several people have mentioned Ghosts of Tsushima, is it an RPG? I love Rocksmith but haven't played it in a long time.

12. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I was the first person I knew to buy a real PC in 1987. Two of my brothers had messed with the TI and other home computers but I thought they were toys and wasn't interested. I struggled to learn MS-DOS and then taught everyone else.

The games were cool and addicting, even back then. Then someone wrote Castle Wolfenstein and my whole world changed. Castle Wolfenstein 3D spawned DOOM (S), and the Quakes, and away we go.
    I'd play all weekend and when I got up from the computer it still looked like I was running down a corridor.

In the mid-'90s Dune 2000 came out and was my favorite for over a decade. Collect spice, build buildings and your army, etc., a Command and Conquer RTS game. Hadn't played since Windows 7 because the developers went under but recently found a free hacked version that runs in 10 and I'm back on Arrakis.
    My son bought me Doom 3 maybe a decade ago and I still play that but I've got it memorized.

The problem with the newer games is that they've gotten so complicated. Actually it is my problem that I don't want to take the time and energy to learn to play, I still like the shooters where you hold the up arrow and shift key, steer with the mouse and blow the crap out of them.

GlenP, Sid Nitzerglobin and Henry like this.
  13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Totally remember Wolfenstein, probably one of my first video games - I think the Black Cauldron was the first. Since I was using the computer, my dad decided I should learn Lotus 123. I was 7.

Randy99CL likes this.
  14. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I've always liked gaming. Although I like consoles, I've always tended to play games more on a computer. I had a NES growing up and later bought my own N64, but I also had a computer growing up, and it always seemed that computer games were often less expensive than console games. If anything, you could at least play shareware games on a PC.

In the 90s, some of my favorite computer games were simulation/strategy games (Civilication, SimCity, etc.), real-time strategy (Warcraft, Warcraft 2, Command & Conquer, Red Alert, etc.), 3D shooters (Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc.), flight simulators (usually Microsoft Flight Simulator), and various others.

I have fond memories of classic consoles too, like the NES, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, TurboGrafX-16, etc. I've been into console emulation for a long time and like to play old console games sometimes.

One thing I'm looking forward to is Microsoft's new Flight Simulator 2020, which is set to be released on August 18th this year, less than a month away. It's supposed to have great graphics and use map data from Bing Maps to provide real-world terrain & map information for the whole world.

BoundandPurfled likes this.
  15. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    They recently released a 'remastered' Command & Conquer and Red Alert bundle. The games are basically the same, but with updated high-resolution graphics.
    https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered

Randy99CL likes this.
  16. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    CalicoSkies likes this.
  17. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've been a big fan of the entire Fallout series of games (except for the latest, Fallout 76), and the Lego games are usually pretty lighthearted and enjoyable. I think I've run through the whole series of Lego Star Wars, Lego Lord of the Rings, Lego Batman/DC and Lego Avengers/Marvel. Many of them are so chock-full of "easter eggs" that you feel like you must attain that "100% complete" before moving on to the next. The Legoworld games are not groundbreaking, but they are enjoyable light-hearted time-suckers.

18. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'm having a lot of fun back in SW:TOR the past few days. Kinda thought it was the case the last time I was on there & even more so now, but I think it might be the best massively multiplayer single player RPG ever, lol ;) To me just about all the class storylines (especially the Imps/Sith) are worthy if understandably somewhat simplified successors to KotOR I or II w/ really good voice acting mostly all around & good cinematic sensibilities.

I find the single player & group action to be pretty darn fun for the first few hours of a sitting & each class has some pretty distinct gameplay differences that keep things interesting for me on top of progressing through the story. The Flashpoints & Ops were as good as any of the raiding I did in EQ or SWG but it was kind of frustrating as everyone (sort of understandably) just wanted to skip all of the dialog & cutscenes which seem like they'd be the positive differentiators from say a WoW or some such to me.

Would be cool if it had a bit more choice in character progression/build (SWG had one of the coolest systems I've encountered from a framework perspective for this IMO), but it keeps me engaged way longer than I should be just tooling around solo 90% of the of the time.

Here's my previous main, a Sith Sorceror, although I haven't done anything "productive w/ him since logging back in:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  19. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I was a gamer... until we had kids. They're 3 and almost 1 now. I just started playing the Spiderman game that my bro bought me two birthdays ago.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I was playing a tomb raider game and got stuck in room. I put the controller down and go to the bathroom. I come back my son 2 at the time had wandered in after getting out of his bed and started playing. I come back in and he is half way down a hallway. I ask how did you get out of there he giggles and says don’t know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.