Any Allparts Bridge users?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Anacharsis, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    When looking at the TV Jones website FAQ, I was pleasantly surprised to come upon this:

"We recommend the GB 0520 ABR-1 bridge from allparts.com.

The saddles are solid brass. It's a wonderful bridge machined from solid metal, not cast. Many enjoy the works of Tru Arc and Compton bridges as well - so do we."

I haven't seen much if any talk about the Allparts bridge here, and it was refreshing to see the most hallowed Gretsch-style pickup maker call out a relatively inexpensive part (while also giving love to Tru Arc and Compton, who are well liked for good reason).

I use wound 4th string sets, so I need string by string adjustable intonation. I'm debating between these TVJ-recommended Allparts bridges and trying to get a hold of some ABM2400 roller bridges from a U.S. source (to avoid the currently extended customs wait). Anyone here have experiences to share with the Allparts unit as an upgrade, particularly for a (1st generation) 5622T or mid-2010s Pro Jet (5435 and 5435T)?

2. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    40 bucks and fully machined? I don’t see mention of this anywhere... Maybe the brass saddles?

And a Retainer wire. Why?? Didn’t we just got rid of them last century?

3. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    Yeah, this is why I am asking. I respect TV Jones, so I am not going to dismiss a recommendation from him out of hand, especially at an attractive price. But I also don't unquestioningly accept anyone's recommendation, so I thought I'd also check here.

Ricochet likes this.
  4. gretscher09

gretscher09 Electromatic

Apr 18, 2009
    USA
    One negative, for me, is the 2" sting spacing on many tunematics. I prefer at least 2 1/8", which I can get with a Tru-arc. And with a wound G there is a Serpentune Tru-Arc that can take care of that intonation issue.

5. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I was curious as to whether the above mentioned bridge is a drop on replacement for the metric bridges on Asian-made Electromatics, or if the posts will have to be plugged and redrilled.

6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Usually metric refers to the tread size of the posts/bushings, not any hole diameter.

7. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Understood, but will the Allparts bridge drop over the OEM Asian posts? If not, is the post spacing such that the bushings can be pulled and replaced without woodwork? Or will more extensive work be required?

I really like the looks and tone of the Compton bridge I installed on my Double Jet, but the intonation isn’t spot on; the jury’s still out on whether it’s close enough. I’m almost thinking of going to a D-Bridge (I’m that picky).

8. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I’ve bought two Space Control bridges from Allparts and they’re just fine, dropped right on the posts

9. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Anacharsis,

I have used ALLPARTS on most of my previous builds for well over 10 years, good people, good parts.

Having said that, for my new Malcolm Young ''Salute'' Jet build, I found they no longer carried some of the parts I wanted, and were out of stock on others, possibly the Pandemic has interrupted their supply chain. it appears to me that the high end ''small producer'' specialty parts are what is out of stock.

I got most of what I needed from ''Angela'' in Maryland, and TV Jones, the rest from my own parts stock.

The brass saddle bridge you are considering will be fine if you are using a stop tailpiece, if you're using a tremolo system, the string movement will cut though the soft brass saddles pretty quick.

Best,

BIB.

10. Lunchmeat

Lunchmeat Electromatic

Feb 25, 2020
    Portland, Oregon
    I'm using the Allparts bar bridge on my 5120. The intonation with a slight angle is okay for me (admittedly a low bar), and the improvement in tone over the stock bridge is exponential. I've used their parts on tele builds forever.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.