Another reason my wife won’t let me have a CC

BBmac

Electromatic
Dec 4, 2021
Montana
8F6BE856-9302-4C2F-90FD-DB9096DB3189.jpeg I picked up a “used” Gretsch G5222 Jet today. When I received it I found some interesting things upon unboxing it? Right away I noticed that the neck PUP was being held in by just the lower spring bolt, the other bolts were just pushed through the mounting plate and left unthreaded.

The bridge PUP wasn’t adjusted either which threw my eye to the action which appears as if it has never been adjusted? Aside from the cracked pick guard, the appearance of this guitar leads me to believe that it’s brand new, but, with some handling damage?

I mounted the neck PUP and adjusted both but I’ll still need my local tech to set it up.

I’m in needs of a teardrop pick guard for this model if anyone has a lead?

Anyway here it is. I’d appreciate your thoughts on this?

BB

Dana Rudd

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2019
Greybull, WY
Hello BB, welcome to the forum. Good of you to join us.

Good looking guitar, sorry it wasn't setup correctly. Have your tech give a real good looking over, then enjoy it.

jvin248

Gretschie
May 16, 2017
Near Detroit

I worked for a few years solving industrial production, manufacturing, and supply chain problems. One incident involved a heavy assembly that was manufactured in Canada, shipped by truck to the US where it went on rail to Mexico where it was offloaded to truck and driven to final product assembly. About ten percent of the sub-assemblies arrived 'unscrewed and disassembled in the bottom of the bin!' when the factory in Mexico opened the containers, and the factory was really angry while the supplier struggled for a solution.

They all thought it was some sort of nefarious sabotage action by dock workers to ruin parts, suspicions flew all around who was doing this! The root cause problem was the parts were disassembling themselves in transit from transport vibration and so the fix was to pre-load the parts before packing in the shipping bins. These parts were designed for the factory to adjust them and so they could not put lock washers or locktite on them (just like pickup elevator screws). Once that fix was implemented there were no more 'sabotage' problems.

Sometimes a guitar owner will try adjusting the pickups too low where the pickup falls off the elevator screw and they don't know how to get it going again. It requires removing the strings to get the pickup out and then reassembling.

Back in Black

Country Gent
Jun 22, 2020
Ontario Canada
View attachment 171935 I picked up a “used” Gretsch G5222 Jet today. When I received it I found some interesting things upon unboxing it? Right away I noticed that the neck PUP was being held in by just the lower spring bolt, the other bolts were just pushed through the mounting plate and left unthreaded.

The bridge PUP wasn’t adjusted either which threw my eye to the action which appears as if it has never been adjusted? Aside from the cracked pick guard, the appearance of this guitar leads me to believe that it’s brand new, but, with some handling damage?

I mounted the neck PUP and adjusted both but I’ll still need my local tech to set it up.

I’m in needs of a teardrop pick guard for this model if anyone has a lead?

Anyway here it is. I’d appreciate your thoughts on this?

BB

Hey BB,

Welcome!!

I've responded to your PM.

I made a few changes to my G5222.

Only the wood from the original new purchase remains.

You 'res will be fine once sorted.

Buy a Gretsch case...your guitar will thank you!

Best,

BIB

DSCF1320.JPG DSCF1271.JPG

BBmac

Electromatic
Dec 4, 2021
Montana
Hey BB,

Welcome!!

I've responded to your PM.

I made a few changes to my G5222.

Only the wood from the original new purchase remains.

You 'res will be fine once sorted.

Buy a Gretsch case...your guitar will thank you!

Best,

BIB

View attachment 171968 View attachment 171969
I dud buy a gretsch case
Welcome to the funhouse, sounds like a floor model that was banged around a bit.

Bought a case, it’s on the way. The damage was inflicted in transit, I looked the box over and it shows shipping damage right on top of the guitar damage. Not sure if the neck PUP is damaged because the action is so far out at the moment

BBmac

Electromatic
Dec 4, 2021
Montana

I worked for a few years solving industrial production, manufacturing, and supply chain problems. One incident involved a heavy assembly that was manufactured in Canada, shipped by truck to the US where it went on rail to Mexico where it was offloaded to truck and driven to final product assembly. About ten percent of the sub-assemblies arrived 'unscrewed and disassembled in the bottom of the bin!' when the factory in Mexico opened the containers, and the factory was really angry while the supplier struggled for a solution.

They all thought it was some sort of nefarious sabotage action by dock workers to ruin parts, suspicions flew all around who was doing this! The root cause problem was the parts were disassembling themselves in transit from transport vibration and so the fix was to pre-load the parts before packing in the shipping bins. These parts were designed for the factory to adjust them and so they could not put lock washers or locktite on them (just like pickup elevator screws). Once that fix was implemented there were no more 'sabotage' problems.

Sometimes a guitar owner will try adjusting the pickups too low where the pickup falls off the elevator screw and they don't know how to get it going again. It requires removing the strings to get the pickup out and then reassembling.

I wondered if they hadn’t worked free in shipping, thanks for confirming my suspicions. I was able to screw the lower elevator screw in enough to be able to catch a thread on one of the uppers and then from there managed to get the PUP mounted completely.

BBmac

Electromatic
Dec 4, 2021
Montana
Looks like a not-so-good start with our brand. That should really not be. Usually a new Gretsch is a well-made instrument no matter what tier you buy.

Is there a chance that I’ll be able to get the factory to send me a replacement pick guard?

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Is there a chance that I’ll be able to get the factory to send me a replacement pick guard?
If you cannot claim it from the seller I would at least try to ask Gretsch.
I guess there are some people here around that have one in their drawer. So perhaps you might ask the community.