Another new proud Gretsch owner

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Viking70806, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to the forum, nice Gretsch.
    Yes to changing the knobs, switch tip and Bigsby spring. Play it for a while after that and see how you like it.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Howdy! Welcome to the asylum!
    It's surprising that Thunder didn't say to add a jack plate and a factory case.

Gorgeous guitar, by the way. You already have two of the best things ever on it---everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes! I'd suggest Straplocks and a Tru-Arc bridge myself.

SAguitar and thunder58 like this.
  3. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Congrats on your beautiful new Gretsch!

Mods? Play it for a while and then make a list of anything you'd like to change.

If the Bigsby action feels stiff or you have other concerns about it, check here for a variety of solutions:

https://bricksbiggsfix.com/

Great products and service. I also think he's a member here.....

MrWookiee likes this.
  4. dak55

dak55 Country Gent

Congrats on the first Gretsch (more will follow). Like others have said, ditch the black plastic bits and get a soft spring. Easy to do and inexpensive. Live with it for a while and see if you want or need to do anything else. Here's it's older Electromatic version.

IMG_20180803_112050.jpg

MrWookiee likes this.
  5. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Congrats and welcome! I like your Cyanide and Happiness avatar.

[​IMG]

6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Viking,congrats on the new geet!

7. Viking70806

Viking70806 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Thanks for all the love and welcoming. I’m off to order a reverend spring and some metal knobs :cool:...that’s the last I can spend on my addiction for now without my CEO cutting off funding.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Viking70806

Viking70806 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Nice! Well that is a huge improvement with the knobs

9. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Here's mine I got a month or so ago, so far I've installed - ABM Roller bridge/G Arrow knobs/Chrome Switchtips/Reverend Soft spring/Oval jack plate.
    I also did the pole piece subtraction mod on the pups which made them a little better to my ears.
    IMG_E0244.JPG
    You want to install a Reverend squishy spring and an ABM roller bridge first thing (if your nut was cut correctly as mine was from the factory); this will make the Biggs SO much smoother and in tune!

10. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

ahh eee !!! brought yousef in da house !

congrats on getting a Gretsch. did you buy it at Guitar Center just off Florida Blvd ?

I was born and raised in Baton Rouge many years ago. glad to see someone else from down there. welcome to the forum.

thunder58 likes this.
  11. hippdog

hippdog Electromatic

Jul 23, 2013
    NW Arkansas
    I've owned many Gretsch's over the years. Including two 6120jr2 with powertrons, two Powerjets, and now a 2017 Broadkaster in Green/gold. my oh my. The two upgrades that I have come across that I would include in every bigsby trem system are as follows.

2 upgrades: 1. Vibramate, (bigsby quick string upgrade), 2. Brick’sBiggsFix (string tensioner upgrade....really works great)

I've included a pic of my Broadkaster with the Brick's biggsfix. I don't have the vibramate installed in this early picture.

BigsFix Gretsch Broadkaster.png

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  12. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Congrats! Love that finish

13. ScottyJ

ScottyJ Newbie

Sep 19, 2020
    Morrisville, PA

I have a 2627t as well that I'm going to do the poll piece mod on as well... noticed you left all screws in the middle pup... any particular reason? Just curious.

14. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    You need a Jack Plate! Not for looks, it's a functional/safety issue. Congratulations, and play the heck out of it. As far as the Squishy Spring goes, YMMV. I bought two of them, and went back to a standard spring on both guitars, it was too soft for me. Enjoy your Gretsch Goodness!

15. scrimmer

scrimmer Electromatic

Apr 6, 2019
    North Carolina
    Just to see how it would sound w/o modding. Don't use the middle all that much, only blend it in a little here and there.
    The jury's still out on this one. Don't think it matters a whole lot to my ears either way.

MrWookiee likes this.
  16. lbrous2

lbrous2 Electromatic

Nov 23, 2017
    Florida
    Love the sparkle green & black

17. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Hello from London

18. Steveric

Steveric Electromatic

Jun 11, 2020
    Portsmouth uk
    welcome cool cats eye

19. Viking70806

Viking70806 Electromatic

Oct 20, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Rofl. You didn’t have to tell me where you were from with a greeting like that! That’s the sound of our people. The Florida Blvd GC didn’t have the green so I ordered it form the site. I have a love hate relationship with GC. They gave me a fat credit line and do have great sales but they have run off so many local guitar shops. So far Be-bop, C&S music and a few more that I cant remember off hand have disappeared in the post GC Baton Rouge world. We have to drive to New Orleans to find any old school luthiers still working out of a shop.

S. Rock likes this.
  20. S. Rock

S. Rock Friend of Fred

ha ha I'm not a fan of GC either. I've only bought a very few things from them. I haven't heard of Be-Bop mentioned for a long time. I bought my CryBaby wah wah from him a very long time ago. I was thinking they closed down a long time ago. the last I knew, they were on Government St. you forgot to mention Ziglar's Music(or whatever they are called now) on Fla. Blvd. a good friend of mine works there. his name is Eric. there was also a shop that opened on Acadian Thruway across from Baton Rouge General. can't remember the name though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.