Another Jet Question

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by slaminsam, Jul 12, 2021.

1. slaminsam

slaminsam Electromatic

Apr 11, 2021
    Texas
    I am considering a 2008 Jet Firebird and I am curious is there any positives or negatives to that year, Its a Terada built guitar so it should be great. But wanted opinions. I have a 2013 Power Jet and love it.

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Should be as good as any "JT" builds.

S. Rock likes this.
  3. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    I have a JT Duo Jet and 6120 and both are steller.... I'm sure the Firebird will be awesome!

4. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    I have a Cadalic Green Jet from that period. The only surprise, for me, was that it was incredibly light, and displayed the resonance you would expect from such a light guitar. Other than that, the Malita bridge assembly was the only let down.

speedicut and Axis39 like this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ask about the weight, seems to vary quite a bit across Jets.

6. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    My two penguins (2009 and 2012) are fantastic guitars, love them, seeing as we talking about weight they are 8lbs 13oz and like dmunson said have a good resonance to them.
    Really interested in owning a firebird myself oneday.

7. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Great in any year after 2003 imo and all same weight as your Powerjet.
    I prefer the one's with Gretsch HS or TV Jones Classic pups.
    Mine is a 2004 and is still my no 1

[​IMG]

8. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    I have a 2008 6129 TLS. One of the finest guitars I've ever played, let alon eowned.

Light, resonant, responsive, beautiful neck carve (a very, very soft V to U). Fantastic ax!

maloburro likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    That will be a fabulous guitar. I think my black one is the same vintage and I love it. I wanted the red one but when this one came along, it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Be prepared to get the nut worked on or replaced. I bought mine used and felt the need to do a level/crown and polish on the frets, but that’s not typical. Well, it is for me most of the time.

10. slaminsam

slaminsam Electromatic

Apr 11, 2021
    Texas
    Thanks , I ending up getting a 2006 G6130 Round-Up like Mr. Brindley's. G brand with Cowboy motif including leather binding. I had my eye on it and decided that I needed the Dynasonic touch. Hopefully I will have a NGD next week.

maloburro and Axis39 like this.
  11. maloburro

maloburro Electromatic

Feb 10, 2020
    sacramento ca
    I did not realize any Gretsches came in a soft v. I will need to keep my eyes or hands open.

12. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    It's really, really soft, but there.

Enough handwork is done on these, that each neck is a little different. Guess my guy's hands formed a V with the sandpaper?

13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    You and Neil Finn!

[​IMG]

BuddyHollywood and audept like this.
  14. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Man that is beautiful! I wish they would reissue these with the G cutout tailpiece.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I wish but seriously .....seeing him play that one live was what made me decide to get one.
    Always sounded and looked stunning on stage :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    In fact it was THIS performance in Melbourne 2007 with Neil playing the Firebird and this black Jet that sold me on buying a Jet Firebird. I was in the audience that night :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

new6659 and Henry like this.
  17. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've always looked past the firebird jets as I'm not a red fan but the last few ones I've seen on here and other places have now really got me wanting one, @Waxhead 's and @new6659 's ones are just talking to me.

It is a shame though that the new ones are all players series and they don't make a single cut 6131 VS model, the players series are awesome guitars but I don't want one of those.

Waxhead and G5422T like this.
  18. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

@Stefan87 - The G6131T-TVP is a great, great guitar - I was thinking of calling it the "Gas-Buster". Just sayin';)

upload_2021-7-21_0-53-13.png

Attached Files:

Archtops, Stefan87, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  19. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    lol I like the name and a good picture, I do want a powerjet and love the look of the black but I know what I'm like with black guitars and just will be to precious with it, plus there is just something so rock and roll about the red, mind you the blonde is the dream but just too few around.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the NGD for the OP.

new6659 and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.