Another bigsby trick question

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by freddyfingers, Jan 24, 2021.

1. Another bigsby question. I have tried for some time to get/make/but a acoustic guitar with a bigsby. What i have is a G5034tft, photo below. Not a true acoutic as the body is too thick, i can go on about it, but who has time. So i considered a piezo type bridge, and have found a few that work on archtops, but no one ever put them on with a bigsby. One concern is that if its wood, the bigsby action might strat to saw away at the bridge. Then i found the fishman power bridge, which is made for les Paul types, but has two posts that seem to fit on a archtop bridge. But one thing that came to mind is whether it not the strings actually move over the bridge. If just the borage and posts sway a bit during use, then this will work, but if they slide just a tad over the bridge, the internal pickups might very well amplify the scraping sound. Which would defeat the purpose of having a amplified acoustic with bigsby if it makes a scary sound every thime I use it.

So, do the strings move over, or does the bridge move, or maybe a bit of both?

Attached Files:

2. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    They do on roller bridges, but I can’t imagine it makes much noise; they don’t on rocking bar bridges, the bridge must make noise from rocking; they may or may not on tune-o-matic bridges, and it would be bad when it does; they probably do on solid bar bridges.

3. I read that when you use the bigsby, it pulls the strings across the head of the pickup, like a violin bow. So for the brief Monet, there’s that sound. Not the end of the world, but a decent cost to find out. Fishman metal bridge is 200 bucks, the wooden one that they say will wear down is close to that, and a wooden one with metal tops os close to 400. I already spent money on an internal pickup, but the body is too thick to generate the sound. It seems like i am chasing something that can’t work, or at least not well. But i am not completely giving up.

4. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Country Gent

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Since it’s a trick question, here’s a trick answer.
    I put a knock off B50 on an inexpensive Crafter. Only the B string is attached to the trem. Goes through the string hole. Using one of my B-Bender adjusts-stops makes a b-Bender acoustic image.jpg

unbridled likes this.
  5. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    If I were to put a Bigsby on my Hot Rod Martin D-18 (grade 8 Adi top) it would blow a gasket. Honorable mention for the B bender though.

6. Is there a pickup under that bridge? How does it sound when plugged in and using the bender?

7. Setzerhotrod

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Yes there is a bridge pick up. I think it sounds pretty dang good for a cheap guitar. I had made a nice demo (put quite a few hours into it) only to find out that you ARE NOT ALLOWED to post on Youtube any coversa of Hotel California (or any other Eagles for that matter). I was pretty disappointed when it got kicked back. I wonder if I could get away with just posting the audio....... ill have to look into that.

8. Setzerhotrod

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
  9. Setzerhotrod likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.