Angus' Guitar Tech - no pedals

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Apr 7, 2021.

1. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Keeps some roadies employed.

Mr Twangy, Waxhead, wizard_23 and 2 others like this.
  2. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Couple reasons I can think of,
    A. Image
    B. It's who they are
    C. They can afford the labor
    D. Stage monitors are not going to blow wind past Angus's knees in his shorts like a giant wall of Marshalls will. 2 are mic'd up for the front of house, the rest is to see if Angus can launch himself and fly from the air moved by those cabinets.
    I have seen them twice, two clubs, neither held more than a thousand people and they still had lots of Marshalls on stage. And finally
    E. With this many people in the audience it just makes the stage look cool.

Waxhead and new6659 like this.
  3. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    +1

Mr Twangy and wizard_23 like this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Apparently the amps and cabs are not props or for image(doesn’t hurt though).
    The stages are big and Angus runs around a lot, and doesn’t use IEM. The wall of Marshalls keeps the sound consistent wherever he moves to.

loudnlousy and larryr like this.
  5. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Well said and the point I was trying to illustrate in a more succinct fashion., minus the sarcasm. If they were multiple empty cabs like so many bands did back in the day for posturing I would say yes a waste of time. But they are all live cabs and definitely go to Eleven.:)

Ricochet likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Maybe only two are mic'd up, but I assume they're all contributing to the sound in the given arena. You only need to mic a couple for various purposes - recording, back of house fill, etc. I *think* it's about a consistent wall of sound coming off the stage.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    Berington likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I appreciate the relative simpicity of the rig. It is fairly old-school and moderate compared to any other major-band-setup on "Rig Rundown". Have you seen Dweezel Zappa`s rig? Thats a laboratory with an integrated particle-accelerator compared to Angus`.
    As someone who is playing his guitar plugged directly into an amp (most of the time) I love this straight forward way on a big stage.
    And it is very nice, indeed, when you are playing without in-ears to spread your sound all over the stage with some 4x12. That`s what I did when we used to play bigger locations in my youth.
    I like the relaxed and friendly way of this roadie, too.
    Cool vid.

JeffreyLeePierre, Waxhead and stevo like this.
  8. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Guitarist: So cool he doesn't use any pedals!

Same Guitarist:

[​IMG]

MrWookiee likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Who is he? I gotta hear what he plays with 8 strings.

10. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Ha... well I wasn't poking at this guy directly but the picture is from a Guinness World Record Largest Pedal Board done between Sweetwater and Rob Scallon.

stevo likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yep.... plus backups..........they need multiple backups and are blowing tubes almost every gig.

Mr Twangy and larryr like this.
  12. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Especially considering Billy Gibbons and James Hetfield are using solid state rack units offstage and nobody’s complaining. I think Angus wants it like that for himself. I’m sure it sounds great onstage. AC/DC obviously have a loving relationship with JJ’s in Slovakia as they’re re tubing those amps every three days.

larryr likes this.
  13. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I read EVH used to change his tubes every day. Barely time for them to burn in. Crazy.

Mr Twangy likes this.
  14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Plus he plays the same thing all over again :D

loudnlousy and Mr Twangy like this.
  15. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Amazing to think that all the tubes in the world are only made in three places.

Ricochet likes this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Is this one of the three? :

https://www.westernelectric.com

Kind of blew me away when I found out that this company still exists. Just don't spend that money all in one place...

Cool video of the plant operations:

Mr Twangy likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Wait...did you just say Communism rocks?! :p

Mr Twangy and larryr like this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I don't know about Hatfield but Billy G has been changing his rigs constantly for decades.
    Not sure Billy ever used solid state on any recordings but he certainly doesn't now.
    And Hatfield couldn't reproduce anything Metallica recorded with any solid state amp.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Billy doesn’t use solid state to record but he does live. He uses Marshall Valvestate rack-mounted units. You can see this in the same series of Rig Rundown interviews with guitar techs as the Angus Young one. The Hetfield one is on YouTube too.

20. Mr Twangy

Mr Twangy Electromatic

Dec 27, 2020
    Chesterville ON Canada
    Wow. No that wasn’t one of them. I am amazed.

stevo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.