And So It Happened

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rake_ether, Jul 5, 2020.

1. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I admit to having incipient OCD about almost everything I own. I try to keep everything in the same or better condition as when I acquired it. I think this is because I grew up poor, and as a kid, if I ever got something nice, I learned to take care of it, because I may not get a chance at another one. My wife recognizes this and never gets near my instruments, or anything else in my studio. She’s a good partner.

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Gigging scar or not, it's honest wear.

rake_ether likes this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Don’t let it bother you. This is my gretsch panther. It’s one of my main gigging guitars. I got a little aggressive changing the machine heads. You don’t see it unless you get close. I popped a piece of the wood out taking the old tuners off. I glued the piece and used a sharpie to cover it the best I could
    0F03749A-D015-4894-A112-039B801381DB.jpeg 5ABFACA4-E903-4D94-96DE-5CD2A5B10BC7.jpeg

4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Ouch! That hurts

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    At least it's an honest relic.
    Kids and critters are why my guitars are in their cases.
    Can't do too much about cats on the piano.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  6. National19

National19 Country Gent

Jan 4, 2014
    Ottawa Canada
    When my daughter was around four, she dropped a pair of pliers on my Reverend Horton Heat, right on the front. she was trying to help change the strings, left a nice gouge in the top. I didn’t get mad or anything, bothered me for about 30 seconds. Most of guitars are banged up in someway. Now this one has a little story to go along with it.

new6659 likes this.
  7. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I was lifting my Epi Jack Casady bass off my shoulder several years ago when “WHACK!!” - the ceiling fan took a fingernail sized chunk off the side of the headstock.

Oh well, they’re only new once. :confused:

mrfixitmi and YouFellowRebels like this.
  8. adauria

adauria Gretschie

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    No big deal - just adds character! But, this is why my wife doesn't clean my office (nor really ever go in there, especially if I'm not in it).

-Andrew

9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    First offender?

loudnlousy and YouFellowRebels like this.
  10. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    She was always jealous:

mrfixitmi likes this.
  11. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    First time she destoyed really valuable stuff.
    Usually she simply hits me in the face...

12. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    With a guitar? :confused::rolleyes:

13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Ouch. Thanks god, no.
    If she would have done this I would not be here anymore.

JHowdy likes this.
  14. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Wish I...
    a) had a wife who would do some house cleaning
    b) had a wife who could buy me a guitar if she had broken one

I know it feels bad at the moment, but I would either put some black paint on that damaged headstock corner and then forget about it, or let her buy a new one and then forget about it. After all, she did not mean any harm.

YouFellowRebels likes this.
  15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sorry, it's a translation thing with a play on words.

First offender.
    Then a gibson....

CaliforniaSlim, loudnlousy and Sabato like this.
  16. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Gretschie

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    I know that feeling..it hurts..nauseating at first..but then...
    now all the sudden you play it with reckless abandon & whole new attitude. They can go from babies we cherish to tone weapons !!

My 98 Gibson LP. flawless..strap slipped off//down that guitar went..i know better than this, ..2 big dents in front...was sick inside. But it was such a pretty guitar.. . Instant gig machine after..way more enjoyment after the incident

loudnlousy likes this.
  17. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I played it the last couple of days and to tell the truth the wound didn't really bother me. I might be able to throw it around in the future and not worry.

CaliforniaSlim likes this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Seriously: I stopped buying new because of this. All those custom builds all those brand new ones. In the end I played the beat-ups. Because of fearing to hurt the brand-new beauties. As I posted elsewhere: As soon as you are gigging those on a regular base you have to tolerate that they get seriously injured.

Bertotti, mrfixitmi and BFTmarshall like this.
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I tend to over protect my stuff also but as I get older that need has faded just a little bit. A very little bit. I would really be update and mad at the first little scratch but now I usually do not get that way. Still very over protective though.

20. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I am not nearly good enough to gig but I have jammed with friends and even then my gear is watched like a hawk. If someone I know isn’t gentle and careful with their gear asks for mine it’s always a no. I saw a guy take his strat finish playing then sat it down and pushed it over to fall to the floor. Said it would wind up there eventually so no that part was out of the way. I’ve never let him touch my gear.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.