An experiment with 1940's Marconi 6V6G Coke Bottle tubes

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by JHowdy, Jul 31, 2020.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    These bottles do look so crazy archaic. I really dig that. Cool, that the sound is up to your expectations, Juhani.

JHowdy likes this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    It's funny, but I caught some grief from a few folks for putting my pair of coke bottles in a POS Excelsior. Lol

Well, I've had them a long time, way before vintage pricing went nuts, and the Excelsior is my only 6v6 amp that I now have.

Anyone who plugs into this stock amp with these tubes instantly get this WT? look and say, wow, what a great sounding amp.

Perfect circuit for these old gals to do their thing.

20200410_183337.jpg

3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    This is the perfect opportunity for me to reveal my newest amp.

upload_2020-8-1_9-17-46.jpeg

It is a Class A-minus design that outputs 200% THD, even when it’s off. Biasing the grid requires inverting the entire output of Hoover Dam. Every chord I hit raises the level of Lake Mead by six inches. :)

Those were great amps. I gave mine to a nephew and miss it, at times. IMO, completely Coke-Bottle worthy. IIRC, the tremolo is world class.

JHowdy, Shadowy_Man, Ricochet and 4 others like this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Love it, lol

5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Now all you need is an Electro voice 32 inch speaker - then you can really move some air with all that power...:D.

6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    And possibly encourage my neighbors to move, as well. :)

YouFellowRebels and Gretschtim1 like this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I stuck a large bottle 6V6 and a vintage 12AX7 in my Fender Champ repro. Major improvement. I'm still trying to figure out why Fender didn't use an 8" speaker in these and the Gretsch G5222.

Synchro, you must not have been playing your Jacob's Ladder amp too much---Lake Mead is down quite a bit. Start playing more! California needs the water!

Those 30W EVs only go up to 500Hz. You'll need a stack of EVMs to go with it.

JHowdy likes this.
  8. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Do you know if there there ever was a "business link" between Westinghouse and Marconi, as you've mentioned many times the Westinghouse-Marconi 6V6, or did they just build the same tube type at the same time?

9. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Yes, archaic is the very word that I've been thinking for the last days. You could desribe the sound that way, too. It's not raw, nothing like that, a bit cloudy perhaps, but crazy wide at the same time :). Quite different from what I've heard before from my own amp.

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Yes. I haven't had that many amps, but all the SS amps that I've tried never gave me the "yesss" feeling.

I did my quick tests with and without my usual pedal board. Carbon Copy delay and Atomic Brain, the latter adds some crisp and brightness if you need it.

wabash slim and Bertotti like this.
  11. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    @Synchro
    Is that a Bonk Amp or is it a real, umm, something :) ?

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Just a movie prompt.

13. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I have the perfect speaker for that amp...;)

BTTF speaker.jpg

14. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Great question. There was a business relationship, but the early days of the electronics industry is interesting, to say the least.

Not sure of the exact relationship and agreements, but numerous brands were made in the Canadian plant.

Hours of interesting, or boring reading on the history.

Here's a time line link.

http://www.r-type.org/static/time01.htm

It seems like Marconi is associated with Westinghouse by many tube resellers when it comes down to these big bottle 6v6's.

Link to big bottle brands made at the same plant.

https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-marconi-6v6g

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    JHowdy likes this.
  15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It's a Jacob's Ladder as seen in many Frankenstein movies. It's made using a high voltage transformer from a neon light, and two metal rods that get wider at the top. An electrical arc runs up the rods, dissipates, and another one starts. Big sparks, lots of noise, very dramatic. I'd do shows with our Uni's physics department with these and other such devices.

Interesting fact---the props used in all of the Frankenstein movies were owned by one guy who rented them out. The same props were used 40 years later in Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein".

16. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    I believe I also read they were used in the mid- 80s in "The Bride"- the Frankenstein movie with Sting.

Bertotti likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Thanks, but we already have a tweeter. :)

MTurner and Jeff67 like this.
  18. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    I see. I don't watch scary movies that much, not even the ancient ones so I wouldn't know. But I work in the electric industry (distribution) and have seen some 1950's technology still in use and some of it looked pretty much like that :). I haven't witnessed myself, but have heard lot's of dramatic stuff, too...

19. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    That was interesting indeed. During my own search for these tubes I noticed that lot's of Marconi tubes are sold in Italy. That made me think if they were once manufactured there, too, or is it just that they were imported there under that famous (Guglielmo) Marconi's name?

But have you guys ever heard the alternative truth: radio was not invented by Marconi and telephone was not invented by Graham Bell, but by two Soviets - that's what they claimed, anyway :D.

G5422T likes this.
  20. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    These are the very best threads and they destroy the evils of the solid state amps bad karma! :) For work I've been recording every week w a mysterybrain into a Quilter pro block out to the X32 board w a JBL pwr'd monitor (very easy to control bleed and levels w the built in limiter and fairly quite DI). Its such a joy to come home and plug into my loud ass tube amps dripping w tonezzz. :)

TubeLife and Shadowy_Man like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.